Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua srikes again. BE CAREFUL.
Wear pfd, use spudbar, just stay off if in doubt.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news...-reservoir
I heard something about it on the tadio but did not hear of the location. This statement fried my bacon, "Brigham City Fire Marshall Michael Young said there were "quite a few" people on the reservoir during the incident and believes the ice was possibly weakened by holes drilled by fishermen.". More likely the kids got too close to one of the many methan springs, that fisherman have learned to avoid over the years. What kind of teacher lets school kids on ice like that in the first place bet they won't do that again.
I witnessed a school "field trip" at Mantua in which an entire busload of teens went out on the ice from the boat ramp area, and groups of them starting jumping together. What idiocy! I was sure I was about to witness a tragedy.
Really, blame the fisherman, why would they take kids on the ice and not watch were they were, teachers probably had no idea of what to look for as far as safe ice or bad ice, not a place for kids without lots of instructions and supervision. How much ice is on it?
This is a much better reported article with more details. Sounds like they were really taking all precautions they could have. Ice was 15" thick apparently. They also have been doing the same trip a long time. I guess just happened to hit a weak spot, sounds more like a fluke

https://ksltv.com/482757/children-fall-t...reservoir/
Has anyone ever heard of ice being "weakened" by drilling holes ??? Someone needs to educate that Fire Marshal. Circular holes are put in beams and supports all the time to lighten them, because a circular hole distributes the stress evenly around it. What a load of bovine scatology. Is there a structural engineer out there that can explain this better than a Social Worker ????
If holes weaken ice, we would have been in trouble at ice addiction. I guarantee there were more and closer there. The news story on KSL last night said 2 went in ankle deep and one thigh/waist deep. Sounds like they were on the soft edge. If that’s the case, I should have made the news 3 times already this year. If they went in over deep water, I’m glad they are safe. I don’t even like being responsible for my own kids on the ice, let alone an entire class.