Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC is capping.
Checked the ice on the north end today and found 6" after getting past the thin edge. 

Then drove around the rest of the reservoir and there were a few groups fishing by the highway just north of the island. A few more by the highway south of the island. Two groups fishing in rainbow bay and one out on walsberg bay.

Still a patch of open water by the main boat ramp. Ramp is iced in but there may be open water to the shore over by sailboat beach as there were some kayaks out paddling around when I was there.

Didn't check ice thickness at any other place then the north end so proceed with caution.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(01-31-2022, 05:32 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Checked the ice on the north end today and found 6" after getting past the thin edge. 

Then drove around the rest of the reservoir and there were a few groups fishing by the highway just north of the island. A few more by the highway south of the island. Two groups fishing in rainbow bay and one out on walsberg bay.

Still a patch of open water by the main boat ramp. Ramp is iced in but there may be open water to the shore over by sailboat beach as there were some kayaks out paddling around when I was there.

Didn't check ice thickness at any other place then the north end so proceed with caution.

Thanks for the Drive by report and info on the ice thickness. Hopefully it fairs well with the winds that are predicted later today. Pretty amazing ice is forming this well, this late in the season, not only on DC but on Bear lake.
(01-31-2022, 05:32 AM):@a_bow_nut Wrote: Checked the ice on the north end today and found 6" after getting past the thin edge. 

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(01-31-2022, 05:32 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Checked the ice on the north end today and found 6" after getting past the thin edge. 

When it freezes, its usually short lived. Sometimes only safe for a week or two. Crossing my fingers to safely get on and  put some walleyes through the ice hole!!!
Gabe
With temps in the single digits for the next few nights there should some time to hit the ice while it lasts.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.