Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport and Pineview updates - 2/5
Fished Rockport last Sat.  Yes, I was on the west side, and yes, there did not seem to be any "secrets" allowing some anglers to catch more than another angler.  Fished between 35-45 FOW, and our individual success was slow.  Only iced 7 perch between daylight and 11am.  That said, there was a group less than 50 yds to our south that did markedly better.  Not wanting to spoil their success, we gave them a wide berth.  I'd bet they caught triple what we did - they were just in the right spot.  I moved around as much as possible to try and get in on the action, but it just didn't happen for us.  That's perch fishing!  Best jog was a glow Halie in green/yellow tipped with a perch eye.  Also caught a couple on a small chartruese glow teardrop jig.

Now, Pineview.  We fished from approximately 5:30-9:30 in the Narrows.  I had a friend that fished this same location from 2:30-5:00 and didn't get a bite.  No secrets here either.  If you go on a weekend, you will see where folks are fishing.  Fished 30-35 FOW.  Fishing didn't pick up until dusk and then was fairly consistent until 9, and then it slowed but there were still fish to be picked up.  At start, they were about 3 cranks off the bottom, but as it got later, fish were coming thru anywhere from 15-30 feet down.  Best baits were the same stuff.  Glow Hali, glow Demon, and teardrop jigs.  Glow didn't seem to be much of a factor though as a couple in our group did well without glow stuff.  Chartreuse nibbles were a requirement though.  Waxies and spikes worked too, but nibbles were top dog.  We ended up with a 4 person limit by 9:30, and half of those went to ceviché and fish tacos on Sunday!
(02-07-2022, 05:38 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Fished Rockport last Sat.  Yes, I was on the west side, and yes, there did not seem to be any "secrets" allowing some anglers to catch more than another angler.  Fished between 35-45 FOW, and our individual success was slow.  Only iced 7 perch between daylight and 11am.  That said, there was a group less than 50 yds to our south that did markedly better.  Not wanting to spoil their success, we gave them a wide berth.  I'd bet they caught triple what we did - they were just in the right spot.  I moved around as much as possible to try and get in on the action, but it just didn't happen for us.  That's perch fishing!  Best jog was a glow Halie in green/yellow tipped with a perch eye.  Also caught a couple on a small chartruese glow teardrop jig.

Now, Pineview.  We fished from approximately 5:30-9:30 in the Narrows.  I had a friend that fished this same location from 2:30-5:00 and didn't get a bite.  No secrets here either.  If you go on a weekend, you will see where folks are fishing.  Fished 30-35 FOW.  Fishing didn't pick up until dusk and then was fairly consistent until 9, and then it slowed but there were still fish to be picked up.  At start, they were about 3 cranks off the bottom, but as it got later, fish were coming thru anywhere from 15-30 feet down.  Best baits were the same stuff.  Glow Hali, glow Demon, and teardrop jigs.  Glow didn't seem to be much of a factor though as a couple in our group did well without glow stuff.  Chartreuse nibbles were a requirement though.  Waxies and spikes worked too, but nibbles were top dog.  We ended up with a 4 person limit by 9:30, and half of those went to ceviché and fish tacos on Sunday!
Your Rockport report, talking about markedly different catching of Perch within a short distance got me to thinking about why that might be, and then I remembered the possible answer.  Two to three years ago the DWR installed artificial habitat that looked like plastic trees with rods for limbs.  It could be that the program is having some success, and the catching around and over some of the artificial structure is a little better than away from it.  

I remember one time seeing a demonstration of fish in a clear glass tank with a single black spot.  The fish were congregated near the spot, I guess because it was one thing a little different from the rest of the tank and possibly afforded cover.  Hopefully the DWR does more with artificial fish habitat in our local reservoirs that are pretty featureless otherwise.
MWScott,
Thanks so much for your report, it was worth reading! I appreciate you sharing your experience. You did not give away any secrets, shared some helpful knowledge, on depth, jig, bait, etc., and may help others be more successful! They say that 10% of the people catch 90% of the fish. I generally consider myself a good icefisherman, but must admit, this year, I am in the 90% of people catching 10% of the fish!