Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer creek/ Rockport
I was on safely on the ice at Deer creek Tuesday morning after 9am. I really like pre dawn, but it wasn't in the cards. I tried two different areas, rainbow bay and also Walsburg arm. Ice was thick in Walsburg. At least 14 inches thick there. Rainbow bay was 8 to 10 inches thick. Caught one slimer as it chased my spoon down as it was dropping towards the bottom. Had some curious marks 4 to 6 ft off bottom that had me thinking walleye. But when I saw them, I couldn't get my lure down fast enough to them. Twlight hours seem the best time to score a walleye through the ice in my experience. Second stop was Rockport. Couldn't seem to find the perch in my efforts there. Even with the knowledge of the underwater artificial tree grid. Inside that grid was 65 to 75 ft depths. A perch from that depth would surely die. So, I left the grid looking on the shallower flats. Staying away from the big groups I saw. 
Gabe
Thanks for the reports.  It's hard to beat the weather for this time of year but we sure need some more storms.

Three of us fished DC on Monday in our tubes and we didn't do all that well either.  We fished for 4 hours and only picked up 10 fish, all rainbows from 13" to 19".

There was a shelter set up on the ice in Wallsburg Bay and there were about a dozen bank anglers where we were near the main boat ramp.