Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoop Green House
Thought some of you might be interested in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwA...e=youtu.be

I was out working in my grow boxes today, getting it ready for this Spring. This warm weather has the top layer thawing out but 8 to 10" down the ground is still frozen, so still have some waiting to do before I can get the ground dug up all the way.
Liked this concept of two layers for the best insulation factor. We'd need that here at our house. We had hoop style covering on one of our raised beds and when it colder than forecasted (mid to upper 20s) we frosted hard enough to still kill our plants - leaves froze and never recovered on them so we had to just replace them.
Yes, I agree but I think this year I'll give the single layer a try.

Dug out about 7" of dirt from my grow boxes this week, today I went and got a truck load of manure and put about 4" in my boxes. Tomorrow I'll fill the box to the top with dirt and start building the hoop greenhouse. I'll post pics as I build it.
The Hoop Green House video is a good find. My ground is thawing as well but won't be long throwing from some seed in the ground. I just built a 4.5'X12' box and filled it with garden soil topping off with about 3-4" layer of manure compost. This will all be mixed soon.

I have mentioned this before in an off-topic post but thought I would add the link for manure compost if anyone were interested. Its located out in Croyden just past the cement plant on the east side of the road. 

WildValleyFarm.com
801-940-1436
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I'm hoping to get some seeds or plants in the ground by the 15th of April, normally I'd wait until May but I hope this hoop greenhouse(GH) will give a little bit of an earlier start, then I'll remove it once all danger of frost has past. Last year before I found this video I made a crude GH that worked out pretty good but within 6 weeks or so I had to remove it because the plants grew so tall,  hopefully this one will work out better.
Haven't gotten too far, built the frame so far, hopefully I'll get it finished this week, if it doesn't storm too much. Here is a pic of the my new grow box and the frame for the GH. Will start installing the hoops next, more pics to come.
[Image: garden-box3-with-hoop-frame.jpg]
Here is a pic of the hoops, mounted on the frame.

[Image: hoop-GH1.jpg]

Here is a pic of the hinge, that allows the GH to be opened, when needed.

[Image: hoop-GHhinge.jpg]

Here is a pic of the handle, used to lift open the GH.

[Image: hoop-GHhandle.jpg]

Last thing to do will be to put the plastic over the frame but I think I'll until next week and allow all this snow and rain to saturate the soil, since our secondary water will be a month late.
I'll be starting my second GH cover next, will post those pics after it's done.
Number 2 hoop GH, need to cover both of them with plastic but the frames are done.

[Image: HoopGH2.jpg]
Looks like you made good progress, Curt. Maybe adding a latch to the handle side so the frame can't lift off in the winds, between a latch and the hinges on other side should keep it all nicely in place it would seem.
(04-18-2022, 11:24 PM)jjannie Wrote: Looks like you made good progress, Curt. Maybe adding a latch to the handle side so the frame can't lift off in the winds, between a latch and the hinges on other side should keep it all nicely in place it would seem.

I was thinking about doing that but I'll wait until I get the plastic on them.
Finally installed the covers today, now just waiting on the secondary water to come on.

[Image: Hoop-GH1.jpg]

[Image: Hoop-GH2.jpg]
Got the drip irrigation system installed and some plants inside, hopefully in a week or so I will see them starting to grow, now that my secondary water is on.

[Image: GH-3-planted.jpg]