Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport ??
Looking for edge conditions at Rockport.  Taking a grandson out for his first ice trip.  Hoping to not have trouble getting on in the morning.

Thanks.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
(02-13-2022, 02:05 AM)BRL1 Wrote: Looking for edge conditions at Rockport.  Taking a grandson out for his first ice trip.  Hoping to not have trouble getting on in the morning.

Thanks.

I was there this morning and it was fine early. By 1:00 the edge was softening up in spots but everyone I saw got off without trouble. No one got wet feet but you might have to take a big step across. Fishing was Lousy with a capital L.
Thanks for the reply. Lousy is season this year.
Bryce Lowder
Let us know how the ice is holding up after you get back, thinking about giving it a try later in the week but I'm concerned about these warmer temps.
Posted this am on FB ice page, think this is just left of the ramp. Hope it was just a “spot”

[Image: C6-AE01-D9-BCA4-4611-9-D89-6-A538-B8-A72-E2.jpg]
We didn't have any problem walking on (7:00 am) or off (12:00 pm).  The main ice is in really good shape, 14+ inches, really good walking conditions as long as you have cleats on.  The edges are taking a beating as the water level goes up and down.  There were several quads and snowdogs on the lake.  The side by side was about 50 feet south of the ramp.  It dropped in really quick.  They had to pull it out with a truck.  Put it back in the trailer and walked out.  As far as I could tell nobody was injured, probably a little wet.

Fishing wise, we must have gone the wrong direction.  We went off the ramp and headed north and west making a big loop back to the ramp.  drilled lots of holes, first time killing the battery on the Ion in 6 years.  Looked at depths from 19 to 54 feet.  Not a fish anywhere to be found.
Not a bite between the 3 of us.  Kind of disappointing not to be able to find at least one perch for my grandson's first trip on the ice.

If anybody happens to find a scoop with a chisel on the end of the handle and a section of pipe insulation taped around it, more than likely somewhere around the end of the ramp, wouldn't mind getting it back.
Bryce Lowder