Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flotilla 2022
Great time, glad to meet everybody and a big thanks to all that put it together
We missed you all. Made it to Willard and just got our lines wet when a family matter pulled us quickly back home. Thats life I suppose. Sounds like it was a good time.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
It was fun meeting everyone, thanks to everyone that put this together.  

I forgot to tell everyone about the big catch of the day.  I hooked some thing heavy, but it was like a dead weight.  I started reeling it in and noticed I had hooked some line.  As I got the lure near the boat, the other line got really heavy.  My lure was wrapped around a big egg sinker and a swivel on the other line, so I started pulling in the other line by hand.  As the end neared the boat, I could see that a rod and reel were attached to the line. Some poor person probably had a freight train of a wiper on the end of that line at some point and lost their rod on the bank.
[Image: IMG-6405.jpg]
(05-14-2022, 10:37 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: A very nice outing and day. I counted something like 35 people including a few who had to leave early.

Next year Utah Lake?

Thanks again Rocky and Jeff for all you both did to put this event together, it turned out really great. It was great to meet newer members and touch base with old friends.
(05-15-2022, 12:41 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: It was fun meeting everyone, thanks to everyone that put this together.  

I forgot to tell everyone about the big catch of the day.  I hooked some thing heavy, but it was like a dead weight.  I started reeling it in and noticed I had hooked some line.  As I got the lure near the boat, the other line got really heavy.  My lure was wrapped around a big egg sinker and a swivel on the other line, so I started pulling in the other line by hand.  As the end neared the boat, I could see that a rod and reel were attached to the line. Some poor person probably had a freight train of a wiper on the end of that line at some point and lost their rod on the bank.

The reel looks pretty new too, the person must have lost it recently. Good talking to you again today.
(05-15-2022, 12:41 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: It was fun meeting everyone, thanks to everyone that put this together.  

Catching some money! Better than what I got, a good look at a walleye before it decided to say farewell... We'll have to go chase some monster cats sometime!
That was so fun seeing all of you. Thanks Rocky for the pavilion. And Utah Lake next year sounds good.
It was great to get out and fish yesterday, really enjoyed meeting a few of you and putting faces to names.
(05-14-2022, 10:37 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: A very nice outing and day. I counted something like 35 people including a few who had to leave early.

Next year Utah Lake?
It was great. I also put a few new faces with old names. It was just plain fun, even if I didn't get any fish. Brett got a nice pair of wipers and now I know how to catch them. I will be back.

I, for one, would be happy to help host next year's flotilla at Utah Lake. Here's a thought: we could have it at Utah Lake State Park at Provo. It's a lovely facility and closer and easier to find for those coming from further north. Good camping is right there as are heated indoor bathrooms. There's a 7-11 just up the street, etc.  Just an idea.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

That's like soap...

...it works fo-me!
(05-15-2022, 02:15 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

The reel looks pretty new too, the person must have lost it recently. Good talking to you again today.

It was good seeing and talking to you too. I put it out on Facebook to see if anyone recently lost a rod setup.  So far no one has responded with the right description. I would gladly return it if they do.  The reel itself is not cheap.

(05-15-2022, 03:16 AM)bblake98 Wrote:

Catching some money! Better than what I got, a good look at a walleye before it decided to say farewell... We'll have to go chase some monster cats sometime!

Too bad on the lost eye. You're the big cat king for sure. I'd like chasing some with you.

(05-15-2022, 10:36 PM)catchinon Wrote:

Next year Utah Lake?
It was great. I also put a few new faces with old names. It was just plain fun, even if I didn't get any fish. Brett got a nice pair of wipers and now I know how to catch them. I will be back.

I, for one, would be happy to help host next year's flotilla at Utah Lake. Here's a thought: we could have it at Utah Lake State Park at Provo. It's a lovely facility and closer and easier to find for those coming from further north. Good camping is right there as are heated indoor bathrooms. There's a 7-11 just up the street, etc.  Just an idea.

I like the state park there, very nice facilities. If my schedule works out, I'd plan on being there.  Thanks Craig.
Thanks so much to everyone that came and joined us Saturday, it was great to see everyone again and meet a few new folks too... Rocky sure appreciate your support and providing such a nice facility to meet in... I do like your suggestion to move to the smaller shelters in the future, much more practical for the size of group we have joining us. Thank you again for paying our fee.

Thanks to everyone that provided prizes for the contest, there were really some nice prizes this year... Thank you very much everyone that contributed...

Forest I like the idea of the fall gathering at Holy Smoke, we will try to host something this fall, it's usually a smaller gathering, but I enjoy it and it's pretty low key so folks can have a good time visiting... Craig or whoever would like to help head up the Utah Lake Flotilla next year, that would be a lot of fun to go back down south... Let's keep that in mind and see if we can get a group to take on the planning of that event.. Was nice to get out from the COVID shutdown and feel like we are getting back to normal...

Really wanted to thank everyone that participated and sorry I didn't see Rocky's post about channel 5 for the radios.... I thought it was channel 2 so we were monitoring the wrong channel all day... Good thing I had a few phone numbers to check up on results.... Oh one lesson we sort of learned again this trip is it's really hard to quit fishing when the fish just start biting... Perhaps we need to look at scheduling the lunches later in the day so we can fish a little longer while we are there... Just a suggestion.... Thanks all... Later Jeff

Hey Lance, hope everything worked out okay, missed seeing you and Cookie there, hopefully next time... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(05-15-2022, 10:36 PM)catchinon Wrote:

Next year Utah Lake?

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Jeff, I was wondering about having lunch at a later time, too. Let's explore that idea.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think with the bring your own lunch format, it would be easy to push back the gathering to at least 1:00 and give us a little more time on the water... Especially for those that have to travel a long ways, it's not really enough time fishing to be worth it... guess it depends on whether the power squad gets too thick to be worth fishing after 11:30, but it would have been fine to keep fishing longer this past event...

Oh I did want to thank Pat for providing a convenient spot to pick up some more lures, I look forward to trying the new ones and some of my old faves... Thanks Pat... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(05-16-2022, 04:18 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I think with the bring your own lunch format, it would be easy to push back the gathering to at least 1:00 and give us a little more time on the water... Especially for those that have to travel a long ways, it's not really enough time fishing to be worth it... guess it depends on whether the power squad gets too thick to be worth fishing after 11:30, but it would have been fine to keep fishing longer this past event...

Oh I did want to thank Pat for providing a convenient spot to pick up some more lures, I look forward to trying the new ones and some of my old faves... Thanks Pat...  Later J

Every year is different, with how the temps are but I think an extra hour would have been nice on Sat and bringing your own lunch idea worked out great I thought. I'm not sure what others saw but we only saw one water skier out there on Sat so if we keep the get together date before memorial day weekend, I think it would work better with fewer of the power squad showing up. I was pretty surprised by the number of people camping out this past weekend.
Excellent suggestions, folks. Keep 'em coming for nest year.
Thanks to all who had anything to do with the get together. Enjoyed the visiting with all of you. Utah Lake State Park sounds great for next year. Sorry for the late reply just got back from one of Kents holes on the snake River. Fishing was too good to be true. Thanks again hope to run into some of you out fishing this summer. Special thanks to Obi for the help at Willard ended up with three wipers and a walleye. Would not have happened without his help.