Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are edges at EC?
I'm getting roped into taking a few first timers out on the ice mid next week.  Just wondering how the edges are at East Canyon.  Still good?  Good enough?
Thanks
I'm planning on going Monday.  I'll post a report afterwards.
(02-18-2022, 10:48 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I'm planning on going Monday.  I'll post a report afterwards.

You are planning on hitting the lake the day of the biggest storm of this year? The way things have been going the storm might fizzle but be prepared just in case. Undecided
I go when I can, even if it is going to storm.  I've had some of my best days on the ice when the weather is less than ideal.
(02-19-2022, 02:44 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I go when I can, even if it is going to storm.  I've had some of my best days on the ice when the weather is less than ideal.

I hear you, that ls always the best approach. Hope it treats you well.
We fished EC on Saturday with no issues.  In the Taylor Hollow area we had solid 12" of ice and although the edges were clear, they were solid.  It was about 18* cold in the am but much warmer when we left at 1pm.  Looked like the edges were melting back slightly but no issues for young grand kids to step over.  There is a large area on the West side that was and has been open water for several weeks. Watched another guy walk across the ice to the shore and fish it from the bank.
Can't give any info about the marina/state park area although there were several fishing it and didn't appear to be any issues when we drove by on the way home, but you can never be too cautious.
Edges were soft at the ramp out to about 4 ft.  Could not go strait off the ramp because it was soft out 10 ft or more.  Had to go off the side.  Storm was a dud and only dropped a about an inch which burned off the mtns real fast.  Fishing was a dud too.  Worst day I've had on East Canyon.  Very few fish marked at all and only one hookup.  Fished my usual productive spots, moved and tried again.  Last trip for me up there.
(02-22-2022, 11:33 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Edges were soft at the ramp out to about 4 ft.  Could not go strait off the ramp because it was soft out 10 ft or more.  Had to go off the side.  Storm was a dud and only dropped a about an inch which burned off the mtns real fast.  Fishing was a dud too.  Worst day I've had on East Canyon.  Very few fish marked at all and only one hookup.  Fished my usual productive spots, moved and tried again.  Last trip for me up there.

I was surprised that storm yesterday was such a dud but todays storm is putting down some snow, at least so far. You forsure picked a good day to hit it, too bad the catching was so poor. Seems like as soon as the temps warm up those ramps are the first place to get bad ice. Did they have the ramp plowed?
(02-20-2022, 10:27 PM)GpaRon Wrote: We fished EC on Saturday with no issues.  In the Taylor Hollow area we had solid 12" of ice and although the edges were clear, they were solid.  It was about 18* cold in the am but much warmer when we left at 1pm.  Looked like the edges were melting back slightly but no issues for young grand kids to step over.  There is a large area on the West side that was and has been open water for several weeks. Watched another guy walk across the ice to the shore and fish it from the bank.
Can't give any info about the marina/state park area although there were several fishing it and didn't appear to be any issues when we drove by on the way home, but you can never be too cautious.

Well it looked like it was going to put some snow down but all we got was around an inch. Better than yesterday but a lot less than we need. 
Hey Ron, that area back by Taylor Hollow always seems to stay better on the edges because of the steep shore line. How was the fishing or catching?
(02-22-2022, 02:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 11:33 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Edges were soft at the ramp out to about 4 ft.  Could not go strait off the ramp because it was soft out 10 ft or more.  Had to go off the side.  Storm was a dud and only dropped a about an inch which burned off the mtns real fast.  Fishing was a dud too.  Worst day I've had on East Canyon.  Very few fish marked at all and only one hookup.  Fished my usual productive spots, moved and tried again.  Last trip for me up there.

I was surprised that storm yesterday was such a dud but todays storm is putting down some snow, at least so far. You forsure picked a good day to hit it, too bad the catching was so poor. Seems like as soon as the temps warm up those ramps are the first place to get bad ice. Did they have the ramp plowed?

The ramp had just about 1/2 inch of new snow on it when I arrived.  Pulled the sled down the ramp.  It was all gone when we got off.  Pulled the truck to the bottom of the ramp to load the sled.
I've been up there a handful of times since the new year. Each time has been a little slower than the one before. The last couple of weeks has been somewhat slower with fish coming thru at different times but always catching plenty more in the early morning. Certainly not complaining, still catching several smaller fish and a few nicer ones mixed in.  Just be prepared for a long, steep hike/drag back to the truck. Sad
(02-22-2022, 08:59 PM)GpaRon Wrote: I've been up there a handful of times since the new year. Each time has been a little slower than the one before. The last couple of weeks has been somewhat slower with fish coming thru at different times but always catching plenty more in the early morning. Certainly not complaining, still catching several smaller fish and a few nicer ones mixed in.  Just be prepared for a long, steep hike/drag back to the truck. Sad

That is why I quit fishing that area, the long steep hike back to the top but I always thought the catching was better back there, so when I was younger, it was OK, now days if I got to EC, it's around the ramp area. 

Jig-fisher_ thanks for the info on the ramp being open.