Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does a snowdog machine require registration
I was just wondering if a snowdog machine required registration if anyone has an answer to this please let me know cause I was told by a dnr guy at Bear Lake it was kind of a grey area so if anyone has an insight to it please let me know thanks
Humm this was posted about an hour ago from somebody at Strawberry

[Image: 8877-D9-CC-4-F7-D-46-C4-807-C-9-B25-C519699-A.jpg]
(02-19-2022, 04:03 AM)pizzaman_288 Wrote: I was just wondering if a snowdog machine required registration if anyone has an answer to this please let me know cause I was told by a dnr guy at Bear Lake it was kind of a grey area so if anyone has an insight to it please let me know thanks

I don’t register mine and have had my license checked twice this year and they didn’t say a thing. Mine doesn’t have a VIN, so I’m not sure how you’d get it registered.
Registration should not be required. a Snowmobile is a type I vehicle. 

41-22-2 Definitions. As used in this chapter: (1) "Advisory council" means the Off-highway Vehicle Advisory Council appointed by the Division of Recreation. 
(2) "All-terrain type I vehicle" means any motor vehicle 52 inches or less in width, having an unladen dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, traveling on three or more low pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator, and designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain.
 (3) (a) "All-terrain type II vehicle" means any motor vehicle 80 inches or less in width, traveling on four or more low pressure tires, having a steering wheel, non-straddle seating, a rollover protection system, and designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain, and is: (i) an electric-powered vehicle; or (ii) a vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine and has an unladen dry weight of 2,500 pounds or less.
(11)
(a) "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled.

(22) "Snowmobile" means any motor vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice and steered and supported in whole or in part by skis, belts, cleats, runners, or low pressure tires.

Since a snowdog has no seat, it cannot be defined as a Type I vehicle. IMO And this is the grey area.

Another definition to add to the confusion. From utah code definitions: 40)
(a) "Motor vehicle" means a self-propelled vehicle intended primarily for use and operation on the highways.
(b) "Motor vehicle" does not include:
(i) an off-highway vehicle; or
(ii) a motor assisted scooter as defined in Section 41-6a-102.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(22) "Snowmobile" means any motor vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice and steered and supported in whole or in part by skis, belts, cleats, runners, or low pressure tires. Having a seat is irrelevant, because there are not 3 or more tires.

Seems pretty clear to me. It is a snowmobile.

It IS designed for travel for travel on snow or ice which meets the first lines criteria, it is also "supported " in whole or part by belts, no other criteria must be met for the definition to stick.

Utah pass up an opportunity to get motor vehicle registration funds? I highly doubt that. Sailboats have to be registered and they have no motor at all, just a piece of cloth for propulsion. Tubes require registration the instant you put ANY motor on them.

Just my opinions, I am not LEO, DWR, or even own a snow dog.
I am no lawyer, and I don't work for the Utah DMV - but I do know how to read.  And reading the Utah Code is an easy task even some of it is poorly written.  Utah Code Title 41 covers Motor Vehicles.  Within Title 41 is Chapter 22 which covers Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV).  Here is a quote from Code 41-22-2 that was mentioned above by 2knots: 
Utah Code C41-22 Wrote:41-22-2 Definitions. As used in this chapter: (22) "Snowmobile" means any motor vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice and steered and supported in whole or in part by skis, belts, cleats, runners, or low pressure tires.

Choice of words is important and the words chosen for this part of the code say "steered AND supported".  In other words, some THING most be used to both steer and support the OHV.  There are no skis or tires on a Snowdog.  There is a track that supports the Snowdog.  Can the track be considered a belt, cleats, or runners?  Don't know because those three terms are not defined in Code C41-22-2.  But, the steering of the Snowdog is accomplished by applying pressure (pushing) the handlebar to one side or the other and handlebars are not part of the definition in C41-22-2 (22).  So, it is my opinion that the Snowdog does not fit the definition of a snowmobile in the Code.

However, there are some other definitions in C41-22-2 that do suggest that a Snowdog should be registered as an "All-terrain type III vehicle".  The definition for an "All-terrain type III vehicle" is this:
Utah Code C41-22 Wrote:41-22-2 Definitions. As used in this chapter: (4) (a) "All-terrain type III vehicle" means any other motor vehicle, not defined in Subsection (2), (3), (12), or (22), designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain.

Further, the definition of "motor vehicle" is stated thusly: 
Utah Code C41-22 Wrote:(11) (a) "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled.

And the definition also says:
Utah Code C41-22 Wrote:(11) (b) "Motor vehicle" includes an off-highway vehicle.

And finally, an OHV is defined as:
Utah Code C41-22 Wrote:(14) "Off-highway vehicle" means any snowmobile, all-terrain type I vehicle, all-terrain type II vehicle, all-terrain type III vehicle, or motorcycle.

I'm going to submit this information to the Utah DMV and request they make a decision as to whether the Snowdog should be registered as a snowmobile or as a Type III OHV.  They will probably lean toward that which will bring in the most income via the fees collected which is register as a Type III OHV.  We'll see.  In the meantime, I think we will be seeing more and more requests or citations by Conservation Officers/Park Rangers to get your Snowdog registered or else.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Dubob, as I interpret all the codes, it does seem like the Snowdog is a Type III OHV and subject to registering requirements. Dang!
(02-19-2022, 07:14 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Dubob, as I interpret all the codes, it does seem like the Snowdog is a Type III OHV and subject to registering requirements. Dang!
I heard back from the DMV and they said this:
DMV Wrote:We have checked with Parks and Recreation on these vehicle types, and at this time they are not required to be titled or registered.  If you have additional questions please reply to this email or contact our Customer Service Representatives for further assistance. Hours are Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at 801-297-7780 or 1-800-368-8824.
I'm still waiting for an answer from the folks that actually control the OHV Program in Utah.  They were recently moved from Parks & Recreation to another division under the Department of Natural Resources.  I should have an answer by tomorrow.  Stay tuned.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I got a phone call this morning from a Utah DNR employee.  The short answer is this - no decision has been made yet that would indicate Snowdogs need to be registered at this time.  There are several state agencies that are looking at this to include the DMV, DNR, and the AG Office.  Law Enforcement (Park Rangers & COs) are not entirely in sync on this at the present time, but DNR is addressing this and will strive for a consistent approach going forward.  For now, there is NO requirement to register a Snowdog or home built equivelent and the DMV will not do it even if asked to do it.

As the different agencies hash this out and come to a consensus of opinion as to the need to register these devices, forgettaboutit!  Just enjoy the free ride for as long as it lasts.

As always, if/when I hear anything more about this, I will pass it along to all y'all.  Straight lines and hard pulls to ya!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thank you for all of your diligence on this topic.
Thanks Bob for the calls and efforts to chase this down... I had heard some folks were harassed by a ranger and I don't remember if they got a ticket or just were told to get it licensed, so this is good info for all mushers to have in their pockets... Good use of a post guys... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I have my Snowdog since 2015. I have been told every year(DMV) that it does not have to be registered, because you do not ride on it.