Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bear River Bird Refuge recon
Fairly nice weather Saturday 19th.  Decided to grab a couple poles and make a trip to BRBR.  Had no luck catching anything but some nice sun rays. 

Water level for most of the river main body was I would estimate about 80-85%. Flow was steady, but slow. Most of the off feed irrigation canals were mostly closed and covered with skim ice.  Main body of river had ice along some edges, and a few spots that had some small floating skim ice.

Boat ramp area looked to have plenty of water for launching, and from the ramp down river to the bridges the water level looked to be about 90%.  The gates at the bridges were as follows: 
South gate that feeds past the duck boat ramp had one gate partially open, water from that gate down further than I could see was ice free.
Middle gate that feeds west beside the maintenance building was closed, water mostly still covered with thin ice.
North-west gate that feeds under the old road bridge was partially open and flowing. Only some small sections of ice along edges. 

For those that fish the BRBR more or less regular, the Porta-Potty that had been down in the duck boat trailer area since early 2020, has been removed and the the vault toilets are open again.  I didn't stop to check the vault toilet at the entrance to the BRBR, but I would guess it should be open also.  

[Image: 01-19-Feb-2022.jpg]    

[Image: 02.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Glad you were able to get out Forest and enjoy some nice weather before the next cold snap hits, too bad the fish did not want to play.  Did you by chance notice if the Museum was open there, that is just off the freeway?
(02-20-2022, 11:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Glad you were able to get out Forest and enjoy some nice weather before the next cold snap hits, too bad the fish did not want to play.  Did you by chance notice if the Museum was open there, that is just off the freeway?

It didn't look like it was. Gate was closed.

Cool
(02-21-2022, 03:17 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Glad you were able to get out Forest and enjoy some nice weather before the next cold snap hits, too bad the fish did not want to play.  Did you by chance notice if the Museum was open there, that is just off the freeway?

It didn't look like it was. Gate was closed.

OK, thanks Forest.
Looks better than when I went down there Forest. main river still had ice. Reeders was open but same thing for me not a nibble. was nice to get out of the house.
[Image: Snapshot-2-2-22-2022-6-20-AM.png]

[Image: Snapshot-5-2-22-2022-6-30-AM.png]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
(02-22-2022, 01:37 PM)Ahi1953 Wrote: Looks better than when I went down there Forest. main river still had ice. Reeders was open but same thing for me not a nibble. was nice to get out of the house.
[Image: Snapshot-2-2-22-2022-6-20-AM.png]

[Image: Snapshot-5-2-22-2022-6-30-AM.png]

Hey John, glad to see you are still up and kickin     Cool

Cool
I was just going to ask if you had seen John down that way. Good to know the crew is back at it
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew