Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some cowboy poetry I wrote
[Image: BO.jpg]

I lost my dad about a month ago. Been really tough as we were close. I write a little cowboy poetry and today this one kinda wrote itself. Thought maybe somebody out there is missing someone they lost and could gain a small measure of comfort like I did today. 

I was only a kid back in 74’ and I barely fit into the boots I wore.
But up in the Saddle I proudly sat, and I thought to myself, “I’m all that”!
Cause when you are six, with the world by the tail, astride a cool pony, you think you cant fail! 
I remember heading toward our little herd of cattle, and I felt invincible! Like a knight headed to battle.
Ol’ Candy, my pony, was just three feet tall, and that’s a good thing, because I was ridin for a fall.
The way I recall, on that fateful day, my pony turned left and I went another way.
I crashed to the ground and let out a bawl, convinced I was dying from my horrendous fall.
Mom and dad scooped me up and brushed off the dirt, wiped up the tears and made sure I weren’t hurt.
And I’ll never forget what Dad told me that day, when his six year old cowboy, just wanted to walk away.
A real cowboy, always gets back on, when he gets thrown in the dirt and his courage is gone.
And though I was scared and not sure how I’d do, I climbed back on my pony and tried to sit true.
I’ve come off of plenty of horses, in the years since that day, and always got up, thinking of what dad had to say.
And sometimes limping, sometimes only hurt pride, I’d gather myself and mount, and finish the ride.
Until a month ago, when I crashed to earth hard, I saw my dad die and I lost my best friend and pard.
I did all I could, to stand up and be strong, to support my sweet mother, and help our family move on.
But when I was alone with nobody around, I still felt like that six year old, laying on the ground.
I’ve cried and I’ve hurt and I’ve felt lost and alone, and I’ve prayed that my dad would just be there, in his chair, at his home.
And the last little while, the hurt seemed to grow. And It seemed like each day would bring a new low.
Til today I was thinking about the hole that he left, and I stared feeling that hurt in my heart, in my chest.
But then that memory came from back in 74, and I heard that familiar voice that I miss and adore.,
Get Back On, so gentle and sweet, and I felt his hands lift me carefully, back to my feet.
I am not the only person who has dealt with loss and pain, and I’ll bet there are others who need help, getting back on again.
We don’t have to quit missing and it’s ok to cry. We’d be pretty heartless if our eyes always stayed dry.
But the ones that we cherish and miss here below, still want us to be happy and they want us to know,
That when you are down, with your face in the dirt, and tears streak your face and your heart just hurts,
We have to get up and be have to be brave, and remember that God, our souls, He did save!
We will see them all again, even though now they are gone.
We have got to keep riding and we have to, Get Back On!
I promised my Dad that I’d heed his advice, and I hope you will too, and if you fall once or twice,
Remember falling has always, been a part of God’s plan, but it’s the getting back on, where you measure a man.
Until the day comes, when on heaven’s sage flat, dad and I ride again, I’ll just pull down my hat.
And keep riding life’s trail, whether sunset or dawn,
Dad’s words are still true, we all have to just Get Back On!

Darrell Holden 2022
That is awesome, thank you!
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Great poetry, you have done your Dad proud with that one. Sadly, as we all age, we lose those we love, like your Dad but keeping them alive in our memory will ensure they will never be forgotten. Sorry for your loss.
Nice poem and sorry for your loss.
That's just plain awesome, Darrell. Reminds of a song I started to write. I'll pm you.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I love cowboy poetry and your run at it was very good. Thanks for sharing
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew