Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tilt issue on Evinrude motor
Two weeks ago I noticed some fluid leaking out of the ram cylinder on my motor's tilt. I wasn't having any issues but today when I took the boat out again, it had a hard time raising and again I noticed fluid leaking from the ram cyl and it was making a funny noise. At a minimum, I know my fluid level is low but I think I might also need to either replace the seals in the ram or replace the ram. Does anyone have any experience on what oil I need to use for the ram and where to buy it? Second, can I replace the seals on the ram or is it easier just to replace the ram? Has anyone ever done this repair, if so how hard is it to remove the ram cylinder?
(04-08-2022, 02:11 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Two weeks ago I noticed some fluid leaking out of the ram cylinder on my motor's tilt. I wasn't having any issues but today when I took the boat out again, it had a hard time raising and again I noticed fluid leaking from the ram cyl and it was making a funny noise. At a minimum, I know my fluid level is low but I think I might also need to either replace the seals in the ram or replace the ram. Does anyone have any experience on what oil I need to use for the ram and where to buy it? Second, can I replace the seals on the ram or is it easier just to replace the ram? Has anyone ever done this repair, if so how hard is it to remove the ram cylinder?

Talk to Obi when he gets back from vacation, he did his last year
Curt, I did mine also, I helped obi with tooling to fix his since we both have the Yamaha outboard. The noise your hearing most likely is the ram struggling with air mixed in with fluid but don't count out possibility of water seeping into the system. I feel you should pursue changing seal with fluid. Freds Marine should have what you need. It will be a lot cheaper to replace the seals than to replace the ram. Can you post a pic of ram leaking? 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-08-2022, 02:34 PM)Bduck Wrote: Curt, I did mine also, I helped obi with tooling to fix his since we both have the Yamaha outboard. The noise your hearing most likely is the ram struggling with air mixed in with fluid but don't count out possibility of water seeping into the system. I feel you should pursue changing seal with fluid. Freds Marine should have what you need. It will be a lot cheaper to replace the seals than to replace the ram. Can you post a pic of ram leaking? 

I can but not until later today, do you think it will hurt it to trim the motor up when it is making that noise?
(04-08-2022, 01:54 PM)2knots Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 02:11 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Two weeks ago I noticed some fluid leaking out of the ram cylinder on my motor's tilt. I wasn't having any issues but today when I took the boat out again, it had a hard time raising and again I noticed fluid leaking from the ram cyl and it was making a funny noise. At a minimum, I know my fluid level is low but I think I might also need to either replace the seals in the ram or replace the ram. Does anyone have any experience on what oil I need to use for the ram and where to buy it? Second, can I replace the seals on the ram or is it easier just to replace the ram? Has anyone ever done this repair, if so how hard is it to remove the ram cylinder?

Talk to Obi when he gets back from vacation, he did his last year

Ok, thanks for the info Alan.
Search You Tube for videos of people rebuilding your ram, its pretty straight forward, you can order seal kits on line, as far as the fluid Walmart sells tubes of trim tilt fluid in the automotive section for less than $4 its just Hydraulic fluid power steering or break fluid will work in a pinch.
(04-08-2022, 04:04 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Search You Tube for videos of people rebuilding your ram, its pretty straight forward, you can order seal kits on line, as far as the fluid Walmart sells tubes of trim tilt fluid in the automotive section for less than $4 its just Hydraulic fluid power steering or break fluid will work in a pinch.

Thanks Shawn, I'll buy the fluid first, just in case it takes some time to get the kit to rebuild it. One question, there are some big 1 inch dia pins that hold the ram in, how did you get those out?
(04-08-2022, 04:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 04:04 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Search You Tube for videos of people rebuilding your ram, its pretty straight forward, you can order seal kits on line, as far as the fluid Walmart sells tubes of trim tilt fluid in the automotive section for less than $4 its just Hydraulic fluid power steering or break fluid will work in a pinch.

Thanks Shawn, I'll buy the fluid first, just in case it takes some time to get the kit to rebuild it. One question, there are some big 1 inch dia pins that hold the ram in, how did you get those out?
When you engage the the lock on your motor that takes the weight off the ram and you should be able to tap the pin out with a punch and hammer if I recall correctly, but as a I said before, you should be able to find a step by step video on You Tube, these days anything you want to fix has been done and put on the internet.
(04-09-2022, 04:50 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 04:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

When you engage the the lock on your motor that takes the weight off the ram and you should be able to tap the pin out with a punch and hammer if I recall correctly, but as a I said before, you should be able to find a step by step video on You Tube, these days anything you want to fix has been done and put on the internet.
+1 agree with Sean 
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-08-2022, 02:34 PM)Bduck Wrote: Curt, I did mine also, I helped obi with tooling to fix his since we both have the Yamaha outboard. The noise your hearing most likely is the ram struggling with air mixed in with fluid but don't count out possibility of water seeping into the system. I feel you should pursue changing seal with fluid. Freds Marine should have what you need. It will be a lot cheaper to replace the seals than to replace the ram. Can you post a pic of ram leaking? 

Finally got those pics, I took them from different angles. 

[Image: trim-motor1.jpg]

[Image: trim-motor2.jpg]

[Image: trim-motor3.jpg]
It's possible my tool can fit that. You're welcome to try it, it looks the same as mine.
Harrisville UT
Roger, is the "Y" shaped tool in this video the same one you have?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553H6IguYPo
My tools are also Marine Tech. As you can see in pic there is 1 for tilt & 1 for trim with the tool number.

Is yours using this same tool number?

[Image: Yamaha-Tools.jpg]

Harrisville UT
(04-10-2022, 01:16 AM)Bduck Wrote: My tools are also Marine Tech. As you can see in pic there is 1 for tilt & 1 for trim with the tool number.

Is yours using this same tool number?

Looks similar to the one in the video but I don't know what the tool number was? There was a parts sheet in the video but I did not look at it.
Curt, here is the chart I keep with my tool kit. It shows you how to measure for the correct tool. Also the chart in the video shows a little different option added for Evinrude. You can also call Marine Tech with your specific motor for verification. Phone number listed on both side of chart. 
[Image: Marine-Tech-Pin-Tool-Chart.jpg]
[Image: Marine-Tech-Pin-Tool-Measurement.jpg]

Harrisville UT
(04-10-2022, 03:13 PM)Bduck Wrote: Curt, here is the chart I keep with my tool kit. It shows you how to measure for the correct tool. Also the chart in the video shows a little different option added for Evinrude. You can also call Marine Tech with your specific motor for verification. Phone number listed on both side of chart. 

Thanks Roger, I'll take a look at it and make a phone call to Marine Tech.
Are these two plugs for filling the trim/tilt reservoir? If so, why are there two of them?
[Image: tilt-trim-res-fill.jpg]
(04-11-2022, 01:28 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Are these two plugs for filling the trim/tilt reservoir? If so, why are there two of them?
[Image: tilt-trim-res-fill.jpg]
Those does not look like the service port of any type. What model/HP & year is your Rude?
Harrisville UT
(04-11-2022, 12:53 PM)Bduck Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 01:28 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Are these two plugs for filling the trim/tilt reservoir? If so, why are there two of them?
Those does not look like the service port of any type. What model/HP & year is your Rude?
It's a late 2006 90 hp, not sure about the model but here is the info plate from the motor.

[Image: trim-motor5.jpg]
The info on your data plate I was able to determine your motor is considered to be a 2007. 
2005-2012 Model Reference (marineengine.com)

This link provides you with a illustrated parts of your motor. 
2007 Outboard 90 [E90DPLSUM] - Parts Lookup | Crowley Marine

This is your Tilt/Trim Hyraulic assembly. Note #2 is your fill plug which is the top of the reservoir but below electric motor.
TRIM & TILT HYDRAULIC ASSEMBLY - 2007 Outboard 90 E90DPLSUM | Crowley Marine
Harrisville UT