Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tilt issue on Evinrude motor
Thanks Roger, that is just the info I needed. How long did it take to replace the seals on your trim/tilt? I think I'm going to just fill the Res first and see if it works, while I'm waiting on the kit to arrive.
Tilt the motor to its full position then manually engage the tilt support. While tilt ram is fully extended remove service port screw. Fluid level should be at the top of port opening which can be serviced here and upon further visual inspection you should also be able to see any water or contaminates. If contaminated, you will need to dig deeper into the pump. Curt, those 2 caps you thought that might have been service ports are actually valves. My opinion is if you are getting oil through the ram plunger seals your reservoir is low which will cause the pump to strain while raising & lowering. Working on these pumps is simple BUT if you have to take apart for cleaning, priming pump can be a little challenging.      
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Well that did not work, with the motor tilted up and the lock engaged there is not enough room to remove to the fill screw. Sure hope I don't have to pull the whole trim motor, just to fill it. I'm not sure it would matter what position I had the motor in, it's just too close to the frame. Do you think that might not be the fill?

[Image: trim-fill-clearance.jpg]

[Image: trim-motor-fill.jpg]
Judging from where you are pointing it appears to be the right area for the service port. Unless there is another screw on opposite, I would say the appearance of this screw type is the right service port. With lock engaged still in up position, try retracting ram to see if pump assy will pivot providing a better access to the screw by hand moving pump assy. Once loosened reposition pump assy back to its normal position to extend the ram fully before removal of screw. 
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-14-2022, 02:36 PM)Bduck Wrote: Judging from where you are pointing it appears to be the right area for the service port. Unless there is another screw on opposite, I would say the appearance of this screw type is the right service port. With lock engaged still in up position, try retracting ram to see if pump assy will pivot providing a better access to the screw by hand moving pump assy. Once loosened reposition pump assy back to its normal position to extend the ram fully before removal of screw. 

So you think if I raise the motor as high as it will go, it will give me enough clearance to take the screw out? If not, I guess I will need to remove the top pin. It looks like if I do that, I would be able to move the ram back enough to get the screw out. I was able to get the screw loose today but there was not enough clearance to take it out.
(04-15-2022, 02:57 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 02:36 PM)Bduck Wrote: Judging from where you are pointing it appears to be the right area for the service port. Unless there is another screw on opposite, I would say the appearance of this screw type is the right service port. With lock engaged still in up position, try retracting ram to see if pump assy will pivot providing a better access to the screw by hand moving pump assy. Once loosened reposition pump assy back to its normal position to extend the ram fully before removal of screw. 

So you think if I raise the motor as high as it will go, it will give me enough clearance to take the screw out? If not, I guess I will need to remove the top pin. It looks like if I do that, I would be able to move the ram back enough to get the screw out. I was able to get the screw loose today but there was not enough clearance to take it out.
Assuming the lower part of the pump assy is secured, the pin at the upper end can be removed. [i]There must be a point for ease of maintenance to gain access to the service port. Make sure the uplock is engaged so motor does not lower.  [/i]
Harrisville UT
I was able to raise the motor high enough to get the screw out but there wasn't enough room to see anything in the hole. I could only get an oz or so of oil in the port before it started running out. I put the screw back in and it seemed to work ok. You would think they would make it easier to access that fill port but at least I was about to fill it. Now as far as taking off the top of the ram, to access the seals, I need to measure between the holes to see if the tool you have will work, correct?
Looks like it's 1 inch between each hole on the ram.
(04-17-2022, 02:42 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like it's 1 inch between each hole on the ram.

Glad to hear you were able to get the servicing port screw removed. After servicing pump did it appear to work better than what it did? Without straining noise? The measurement on either of my tools is over 1". Were you able to call Marine Tech about the right tool?

I did a compatibility check; it appears that the tools I have will fit some motors including Evinrude E & Etech series. This link verifies that my wrenches fit MOST Evinrude tilt/trim pumps.
Johnson Evinrude Trim Tilt Wrenches - Built to Last with Lifetime Warranty - Removes Trim, Tilt, Steering Caps Fast & Easy (marinetech.com)

Our 3 Wrench Set Covers All [b]Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Johnston and Evenrude [/b]Trim and Tilt ends caps.  
Check compatibility chart on each pin wrench page for compatability,
If in doubt: MEASURE YOUR ENDCAPS. = Dimensions are distance ACROSS the cap NOT the two closest holes

Harrisville UT
(04-17-2022, 01:15 PM)Bduck Wrote: Glad to hear you were able to get the servicing port screw removed. After servicing pump did it appear to work better than what it did? Without straining noise? The measurement on either of my tools is over 1". Were you able to call Marine Tech about the right tool?

I did a compatibility check; it appears that the tools I have will fit some motors including Evinrude E & Etech series. This link verifies that my wrenches fit MOST Evinrude tilt/trim pumps.
Johnson Evinrude Trim Tilt Wrenches - Built to Last with Lifetime Warranty - Removes Trim, Tilt, Steering Caps Fast & Easy (marinetech.com)
Our 3 Wrench Set Covers All [b]Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Johnston and Evenrude [/b]Trim and Tilt ends caps.  
Check compatibility chart on each pin wrench page for compatability,
If in doubt: MEASURE YOUR ENDCAPS. = Dimensions are distance ACROSS the cap NOT the two closest holes
Yes, it works much better after adding fluid, seemed to be normal. No, I haven't called Marine Tech, been busy working on other pressing projects. I'm not sure if this is exact, think I need a 100 scale ruler so the measurement between holes could be off a little. The approx measurement on my end cap is 2.5 inches.
Thanks for all you help Roger after buying that expensive seal kit and bleeding it about ten times, I took it on sat. Looks like i'll need to bleed it a few more time to get it working like it's suppose to be, it worked but it was slow.

[Image: tilt-trim-seal-kit-w-ram.jpg]

$70 for just the seals.
(05-16-2022, 01:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for all you help Roger after buying that expensive seal kit and bleeding it about ten times, I took it on sat. Looks like i'll need to bleed it a few more time to get it working like it's suppose to be, it worked but it was slow.

[Image: tilt-trim-seal-kit-w-ram.jpg]

$70 for just the seals.
Curt, I was glad to help out. Mine took a little more bleeding air out to get operating the way it should. 
Harrisville UT