Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer board Question
(04-29-2022, 02:00 PM)Bduck Wrote: Hey Bob, did you use a marine paint?
I did not.  I made 2 sets of these boards and the other set went to a buddy who was the manager of a general maintenance shop that had a paint shop.  That paint shop painted both sets and used a basic wood primer that was covered up with 2 coats of an exterior enamel paint.  The boards themselves are cedar.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-29-2022, 05:12 PM)dubob Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 02:00 PM)Bduck Wrote: Hey Bob, did you use a marine paint?
I did not.  I made 2 sets of these boards and the other set went to a buddy who was the manager of a general maintenance shop that had a paint shop.  That paint shop painted both sets and used a basic wood primer that was covered up with 2 coats of an exterior enamel paint.  The boards themselves are cedar.
My thoughts at first was an enamel paint. It appears holding up well against the elements. Did you use anything to treat the cedar prior to paint?
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I used 2 coats of exterior oil based Kilz and then 2 coats of exterior enamel paint. Mine have not seen extensive use, maybe 15 hours their first 2 years, shed since then.
They have held up well, like any house would anyway, with a use day being like a rainy day or 3 in Utah.
I'm about to clean mine off and get them out board again, with chains for adjustment, Thank You Dubob. I have a trip to Florida to take care of first. Just putting the boat away for a few weeks tonight while I am away, then I've got about 2 weeks before back to the grind.
(04-29-2022, 10:13 PM)Bduck Wrote: Did you use anything to treat the cedar prior to paint?
I did not.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."