Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a Cannon Low Profile Swivel Base
One of my down rigger bases broke yesterday while fishing, thought I would see if any of you folks have one your not using and would be willing to part with before I pay full price for a new one.
(04-10-2022, 02:56 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: One of my down rigger bases broke yesterday while fishing, thought I would see if any of you folks have one your not using and would be willing to part with before I pay full price for a new one.

Can it be repaired? What metal is it made from.
(04-10-2022, 04:22 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 02:56 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: One of my down rigger bases broke yesterday while fishing, thought I would see if any of you folks have one your not using and would be willing to part with before I pay full price for a new one.

Unfortunately its made of plastic, in a pinch I may be able to use epoxy to reattach the corner and put a fender washer over that corner.
Jb weld can be a good option . Without seeing how it is broken can’t say how it would work
. When I have used it and need good strength I will drill micro holes in both peices so the jb weld has
More surface area and hold. I have had great success with using JB weld and the drilling holes it can work into on both pieces I am joining. Then as you said use a washer as well.
Might be worth a try before you buy a new one.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(04-10-2022, 08:50 PM)Mildog Wrote: Jb weld can be a good option . Without seeing how it is broken can’t say how it would work
. When I have used it and need good strength I will drill micro holes in both peices so the jb weld has
More surface area and hold. I have had great success with using JB weld and the drilling holes it can work into on both pieces I am joining. Then as you said use a washer as well.
Might be worth a try before you buy a new one.

Thanks, I like the the micro holes idea, I may give it a try.
I’ll look tomorrow in the shop I may have some

I noticed the other day that one of ours is cracked.  I'm sure this is due to the fact that it is mounted to 1/8" plate and there is flex in it.  I'm going to weld a piece of plate to the top so as to stiffen it up.
(04-11-2022, 03:45 PM)PACMEN Wrote:

I noticed the other day that one of ours is cracked.  I'm sure this is due to the fact that it is mounted to 1/8" plate and there is flex in it.  I'm going to weld a piece of plate to the top so as to stiffen it up.

Yup, same issue with mine, on my old boat when I mounted them I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the bottom side of the aluminum which kept it from flexing, looks like I need to do that on this boat as well.
(04-10-2022, 06:05 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 04:22 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

Unfortunately its made of plastic, in a pinch I may be able to use epoxy to reattach the corner and put a fender washer over that corner.

those are guarantied for life thru cannon they have a a kit to repair them and it makes them so they can never break again . i did 4 last year . do not try to repair these you will loose your down rigger . the kits are free and easy to install .