Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Crick Gate
Thinking about a before work fishing trip this week. Anybody know what time in the morning they open up the gates at Deer Creek Reservoir? I fished in Wallsburg bay on Saturday afternoon. Marked a lot of fish in the 10-15’ depth range. Want to go back and try it again. I only caught one on Saturday, 3” gulp minnow on an 1/8oz jig head was what I caught my only rainbow trout on.
They have an iron ranger at both gates. I’ve never seen the gate closed and have been there as early as 5am.
I have a state park pass. What is an iron ranger? How does that work with the pass?
(04-14-2022, 02:37 AM)parryconner Wrote: I have a state park pass. What is an iron ranger? How does that work with the pass?

I have a fun tag which is similar to the pass. I just throw it on the dash. Never had an issue. Iron ranger is just a electronic booth to take payment.
Thanks for info, I’ll give it a try at Sun up
At one time the automatic gates would open at 6 A.M.

Don't know if they are still running that way or not
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I slept in and got there at seven, the gate was open, I didn’t have any issues. I did have issues catching fish though. I trolled around a bunch and marked a lot of fish, I ended up landing one rainbow on a metallic purple kastmaster, lost two others on the same lure. Seems like the guys on the bank, fishing off of sailboat Beach that were doing a heck of a lot better than me. I tried pop gear and a worm, couple different trolling spoons, no luck. Did see a young two point buck still packing antlers walking along the bank with a few doe’s, they came down for a drink and wandered back up the hill

[Image: CB9-C694-C-1535-45-E6-9-A1-F-27-C66-FDFB77-B.jpg]

Side note, my mercury 9.9 is pushing this boat about 1.8-2.0mph at the lowest speed, is this too fast for trolling?
This is deer creek ranger office number. 435-654-0171
(04-14-2022, 04:39 PM)parryconner Wrote: I slept in and got there at seven, the gate was open, I didn’t have any issues. I did have issues catching fish though. I trolled around a bunch and marked a lot of fish, I ended up landing one rainbow on a metallic purple kastmaster, lost two others on the same lure. Seems like the guys on the bank, fishing off of sailboat Beach that were doing a heck of a lot better than me. I tried pop gear and a worm, couple different trolling spoons, no luck. Did see a young two point buck still packing antlers walking along the bank with a few doe’s, they came down for a drink and wandered back up the hill

[Image: CB9-C694-C-1535-45-E6-9-A1-F-27-C66-FDFB77-B.jpg]

Side note, my mercury 9.9 is pushing this boat about 1.8-2.0mph at the lowest speed, is this too fast for trolling?
Much of it is opinion and mine is that this time of year .9 to 1.4 is the best for Deer Creek Rainbows.
I wonder how if I can adjust the motor gears down or something to slow the troll speed?
(04-14-2022, 06:18 PM)parryconner Wrote: I wonder how if I can adjust the motor gears down or something to slow the troll speed?

Drag a 5 gallon bucket or 2,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
That’s a good idea, wondering if there’s a better way to adjust the motor and no hassle with rigging buckets and tangles
Change your prop.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Should be able to get into at least planter size fish @ DC. Bucket or trolling sock is cheapest options. Troll master kicker control may slow you down a bit. S turns will help too. My set up is a electric with gps and autopilot. I love it!!! Speeds I was taught are .9-1.6 for trout/walleye. 1.6 -2.2 for Kokanee. Just what I was taught. I’m no expert.
If you don't have an electric trolling motor and don't want to use a bucket, then changing the prop on your kicker is the next best choice. Could your idle be set too high on you kicker motor?
Thanks for the advice. I bought a bow mount trolling motor tonight, just working on the install.
(04-15-2022, 01:10 AM)parryconner Wrote: Thanks for the advice. I bought a bow mount trolling motor tonight, just working on the install.

You won't regret it, what kind did you buy?
I am excited, I found a great deal on a used Minn kota Terrova, 55lb thrust.
(04-15-2022, 04:22 AM)parryconner Wrote: I am excited, I found a great deal on a used Minn kota Terrova, 55lb thrust.
The Minnkota is a good choice. Seeing that you are trolling with one motor, I would opt into one of the Trollmaster Pro series throttle control. Adjusting speed with a tiller handle is difficult. I would also see if you could tweak down your idle rpm.  

https://trollmasters.com/wired/trollmaster-pro/
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-15-2022, 04:22 AM)parryconner Wrote: I am excited, I found a great deal on a used Minn kota Terrova, 55lb thrust.

If your new motor comes with I-pilot, you should be all set. If you have never used one before and it did not come with instructions, all you will need to do after you put it out is set the speed, might be 3 or 4 depending on the size of your boat, turn on the prop, hit the "N" to make sure it will track properly. Not sure if you have a foot control or a hand held contoller but on mine I next have to select auto pilot mode. Good luck.