Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Noob
I am completely unfamiliar with the Bear and need some hand holding. I want to take my kids fishing this weekend somewhere between Corrine and the refuge. Im such a noob to this area that im assuming catfish and carp will give us the most action this time of year but I honestly dont know what species are in the river and if it is even reasonable that one would catch a fish mid-April. 

We'll be fishing from shore with spinning and bait casting setups soaking worms. Any advice for access or recent reports would be humbly appreciated.
There are a number of excellent fishermen on the forum that fish that area, hopefully they will see your post and reply so you get some good details on where to try. Your assumption on catfish and carp is probably pretty accurate and worms will work, they may tell you to use worms and catch a carp and then cut it up into chunks so you can catch some big channel cats... I suspect the cooler temps have slowed down the fishing, but I think it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow, so that may mean a better bite... Good luck and report back how it went for you.. Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I’ve got a little experience fishing the Bear. Couple things I have noticed. As for bait I would use worms for both catfish and carp, and carp chunks for catfish. Early spring is good fishing, however, the sloughs (areas of still water that are filled by the river) are by far the best. The warmer water temps invite a lot of fish (cats, carp, bass, and walleye) to come on in. Come the end of May, they get too warm for everything but carp. Summer months are best fished in wide, slow moving portions of the river. When you fish a slough, I tie my hook directly to the line and leave my bail open. Fish have a tendency to drop whatever they were eating if they feel tension. In the river, a big bank sinker (1-2oz) with about two feet of leader is what I recommend. And for bait, don’t be afraid to use a solid chunk of carp, the catfish are not shy.

Good Luck!.
I will add - be prepared for bugs. The refuge is notorious for the blood suckers.. It can run kids fun, fast. Also the bite on the bear can be pretty fickle which can wear kids down quick, waiting. There may be better options to get a spring bite for kids. The bullheads at Benson seem pretty willing to give kids some fun as do the spring gills at Mantua.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
The lower bear has been my goto venue for cat. Fish a lot down at the gates in the refuge. you can find walleye there also, a white 3-4 inch curly tail on a 1/4 oz jig works for them, but I've caught them on worms while fishing for carp. even had them take a chunk of carp meat. in some of the side canals I've found crappie, small mouth bass, and blue gill. Just not a big population of them to target. Catfish and carp will be your best bet. At any rate get the kiddies out enjoy the day and good luck.
[Image: 20220408-122713.jpg]

[Image: 100-0371.jpg]

[Image: 100-0573.jpg]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I really appreciate everyones helpful advice on here. Its nice to have folks willing to share tips for unknown waters.

Well I made it out on Saturday but the kids ditched me to go find rabbit eggs. Started out in Corrine around noon with only one small nibble in 2 hours so I decided to move. Stopped at the refuge at a confluence of the Bear and an off-shoot canal. A couple more nibblers and bait stealers but no hookups and left for home at 5. The cold front may have put them down over the weekend but the winds kept the bugs away. Im planning on going back again for redemption in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully the cats will come out to play and the wind keeps the bugs away.
(04-19-2022, 01:06 AM)Boisan Wrote: I really appreciate everyones helpful advice on here. Its nice to have folks willing to share tips for unknown waters.

Well I made it out on Saturday but the kids ditched me to go find rabbit eggs. Started out in Corrine around noon with only one small nibble in 2 hours so I decided to move. Stopped at the refuge at a confluence of the Bear and an off-shoot canal. A couple more nibblers and bait stealers but no hookups and left for home at 5. The cold front may have put them down over the weekend but the winds kept the bugs away. Im planning on going back again for redemption in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully the cats will come out to play and the wind keeps the bugs away.

I also went out on Saturday. After one mudcat we headed home due to rain. These warmer temps should get the up and moving.