Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there anyone you know hardcore Uinta lakes angler?
I would love to touch base with other anglers that have fished extensively in the Uintas.
My experience is 5 plus decades, chasing elusive Uinta trout.
It would be fun to exchange experiences.
I know there are some serious Uinta fishers on this forum. Some dang good ones at finding big brookies in mud puddles. Much better than me-
I get excited when a 6" brookie crushes my elk hair caddis. Hope they will chime in and share thier passion.

I use to fish it a lot but have slowly gravitated to other species in the last 20 years. I think that trend started when we stopped taking horse pack trips with my Dad. I still love to go up but miss getting to some of the farther basins we use to wander - like over at Atwood. The close locations are pretty packed these days. Even the lesser known ones.

I still try to make a run for grayling and there are a few streams that call my name in the summer. I also enjoy hobbyist gold planning and finding old pioneer locations. Lots of good memories

Do you have favorite spots you always gravitate to or are you always trying that next lake on the map?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I haven't currently fished the Uintas much, but have been spending hours upon hours poring over maps and articles and databases trying to extend my knowledge, and I hope to start going as often as I can starting this year. It will be hard as I am also a devoted kayak angler who targets most species that Utah has to offer
(04-17-2022, 09:38 PM)bblake98 Wrote: I haven't currently fished the Uintas much, but have been spending hours upon hours poring over maps and articles and databases trying to extend my knowledge, and I hope to start going as often as I can starting this year. It will be hard as I am also a devoted kayak angler who targets most species that Utah has to offer
I'm  happy to give some areas that could be interesting, it is always how much hiking do I want to do or I know it is beautiful, but the fish are small, too few etc. Or it is a lake I haven't  been to, no other lakes nearby,  do I chance it?

(04-16-2022, 09:12 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I know there are some serious Uinta fishers on this forum. Some dang good ones at finding big brookies in mud puddles. Much better than me-
I get excited when a 6" brookie crushes my elk hair caddis.  Hope they will chime in and share thier passion.

I use to fish it a lot but have slowly gravitated to other species in the last 20 years. I think that trend started when we stopped taking horse pack trips with my Dad.  I still love to go up but miss getting to some of the farther basins we use to wander - like over at Atwood. The close locations are pretty packed these days. Even the lesser known ones.

I still try to make a run for grayling and there are a few streams that call my name in the summer. I also enjoy hobbyist gold planning and finding old pioneer locations. Lots of good memories

Do you have favorite spots you always gravitate to or are you always trying that next lake on the map?
I have really best ever spots, real cool spots, unbelievable to get to spots.  But I'm inclined to see what  is over the next ridge, I collect lakes like some people collect stamps.
I am very interested in your pioneer sites exploring, and even gold panning.  I have some tidbits of history knowlege of the Uintas. 
Let me know if we can talk or email.
Uintaman, I used to love the Uinta's until I got started on the Winds, now i hardly ever take a trip back to the Uinta's..... Seems like the scenery and fish quality of the Winds is so much better, plus in the right spots the crowds haven't ruined the Winds yet... However, there are trailheads that are way over run with people for sure... Some of the prettiest scenery is on those packed trailheads now, but there are other areas that are totally amazing...  I love both areas, but I guess the majestic granite and big mac won me over, so even though it's a lot longer drive, when I'm ready to take a hike, I'm heading to the Wind Rivers...

[Image: 100-1732.jpg]

[Image: 000-0002.jpg]

[Image: 100-1742.jpg]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I backpact into Pinto Lake and Rainbow 14 years ago with some friends that were going there every year. We planed to eat fish as our main diet. There was big cutthroat swimming around at the edge of the water, but they were smart and wouldn't bite. My friends couldn't catch a fish with the normal flies and spinners they usually use. I too had mainly spinners with me. But I did throw in a three pack of Castmasters. A silver, silver and blue, and brass. And the second day I tied one on and first cast got a two pound Brooke. Almost every cast I would get another. Or a snag. I only had 4 lb. Test on my spinning reel and there was lots of dead trees in the water to snag my lures. So it didn't take long to loose all my castmasters. The color didn't seem to mater, they all worked great. I got plenty to eat for everyone. One of my friends had a little brass castmaster. Only about an inch long. He gave that to me, and that worked also.

There are so many different lakes it would take a lifetime to fish them all.
But what about the lakes you can drive to. I grew up fishing Brownie Lake and Sheep creek Lake. Brownie and the creek below for brookies. And Sheep Creek for big cutthroat. And lots of others. Whitney, Smith & Morhouse, Marsh and Moon lake for example.
I read the drainage pamphlets for fun and study the satellite maps extensively. My biggest road block is distance equaling multiple days. I'm lucky if I can camp overnight without starting a fight in my household. Getting multiple is rough.

That said, I was happy to do Red Castle. We went all the way to Upper. My buddy even packed in a tube and floated it. I wished we had a few more days up there because I know there are some good spots over in the east basin (and high above the west as well). Even lower downstream are a few good lakes that don't get visited too often and I've seen some really nice brookies from a few. Just need the time to get to them.

I'm a big fan of the Whiterocks drainage too. Huge, but there are some good lakes that I've seen footage of with nice brookies.

I've done some of the farther east stuff too, but not a whole lot. Did the Henry's Fork drainage (Kings) when I was 14, but that was almost 30 years ago. I'd like to do that again as a real angler, as opposed to a kid who caught his first trout in Dollar Lake.

Spent a little bit of time in the Brown Duck basin, but only day trips. I'd love to hike back a bit farther in there, or even just over the pass into the RC drainage.

If you want to talk about the Uintas, I can probably follow along pretty well. Hit my messages sometime.

(Are you the same Uintaman that used to be a LEO for Highland?)
[font="Proxima Nova Regular", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][Image: NofG8Ks.jpg][/font]
UTAH WATER LOG