Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry/Soldier Creek ?
We had a pretty warm day today. On a normal year, I would have made a Sunday afternoon drive by to see how the ice is coming. However with the price of gas at $4.45, I thought I would see what info I could get from here. I suspect there are some of you that make regular trips to the basin. Has anyone been by Strawberry Bay, Soldier Creek marina, highway 40 pass, or down to the SD dam recently that can give an update on ice conditions. How much ice is still there? Are the edges opening up? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Until ice off at Strawberry/SC we will continue to chase at Jordanelle. Hopefully the water is warming and I can give a positive report tomorrow.
Ice coverd both, no shoreline retacting.  The ladders was open to about 50 yds, saw 4 tubers Saturday.
Thanks for the intel Uintaman2. Looks as if it will still be a while before ice out there.
I expected with the warm forecast that today would be the day for a nice catch of kokanee on Jordanelle. Wrong, 1 koke lost at the boat and 6 rainbow, caught and released. I guess the BOOOMS at the gravel pits across Utah Lake (see Tube Dudes nuttin at Lindon post) must have affected Jordanelle as well Smile. Always appreciate TD giving me an excuse for my poor fishing days.
Maybe it's to nice weather? You know great day boating always means pore day fishing. They go together. Maybe we should go in the rain.
Yeah I passed a day late last week because of the rain. Probably missed my shot.
If you see another great day coming call me . I can handle the netting.
(04-19-2022, 12:38 AM)brookie Wrote: I expected with the warm forecast that today would be the day for a nice catch of kokanee on Jordanelle. Wrong, 1 koke lost at the boat and 6 rainbow, caught and released. I guess the BOOOMS at the gravel pits across Utah Lake (see Tube Dudes nuttin at Lindon post) must have affected Jordanelle as well Smile. Always appreciate TD giving me an excuse for my poor fishing days.
That costs extra.
(04-19-2022, 01:51 AM)brookie Wrote: Yeah I passed a day late last week because of the rain. Probably missed my shot.

It doesn't matter. I was there on Friday in the rain and snow and got skunked on kokanee. Only rainbows. I thought for sure Friday was going to be a Salmon day with the gray sky, flat water and no wind plus only one or 2 boats on the water but I was disappointed yet again.
Posted yesterday by The Strawberry Bay Marina,

"It’s that time again! We are seeing rapid changes in ice conditions. While ice off fishing hasn’t developed yet it’s not far off! Our best guess for fishable water outside of what’s available (ladders and one or two shallow spots at soldier creek) is probably just after this weekend."
Thanks Kent and everyone for the information. Looks like it won’t be long now.
Hey Kent what does the water level look like? Any improvements.
(04-20-2022, 01:05 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Hey Kent what does the water level look like? Any improvements.

The graph shows that the water level is getting higher.

https://data.cuwcd.com/data/reservoirs/i..._public_sw
Any updates on open water? Any chance of getting a boat on this Coming Thursday, 4/28?
Took a drive to Soldier Creek and Strawberry yesterday. Ice is pulling away from shore at the SC ramp and along the edges near the road from highway 40 to the main marina. The temps over the weekend were however quite cold as some of the area along the shore had refrozen especially south toward the restroom that sits on the west hill. I'll bet today's warm temps started the process again. It won't be long.

I did not go to the Aspen side, but it didn't look open from across the lake. Lots of people shore fishing the Ladders, Chicken Creek (both sides) and mosquito bay near the Strawberry bay marina. Not much else is open, but the ice is deteriorating quickly.

If you want my guess the ice will not be off by Thursday, but that is a guess only.
(04-25-2022, 09:36 PM)brookie Wrote: Took a drive to Soldier Creek and Strawberry yesterday. Ice is pulling away from shore at the SC ramp and along the edges near the road from highway 40 to the main marina. The temps over the weekend were however quite cold as some of the area along the shore had refrozen especially south toward the restroom that sits on the west hill. I'll bet today's warm temps started the process again. It won't be long.

I did not go to the Aspen side, but it didn't look open from across the lake. Lots of people shore fishing the Ladders, Chicken Creek (both sides) and mosquito bay near the Strawberry bay marina. Not much else is open, but the ice is deteriorating quickly.

If you want my guess the ice will not be off by Thursday, but that is a guess only.

We need a steel hull ice breaker boat to launch and bust it up and let the wind move it off!
I vote for that.
Thanks Brookie
picked up a new fishin whip
downsized from the 12' 4" double chambered king kamehameha, doesnt carry well, model.
To a single chambered 11 footer
[Image: 20220426_175402.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
not much open water at chix creeks more so west
nuff to git er done at the ladders
on the glass water at 8
didnt take long
[Image: 20220426_094006.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: 20220426_094024.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: 20220427_060204.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
little better than a fish an hour
a few bows and ldred a lot of head shakin slot cutts which is fine the dealin with the net and cold waters isnt my favorite part
[Image: 20220427_060321.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: 20220426_175154.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
5 or 6 shore anglers and a couple kick boats launched
winds picked up about noon and made managing the drift challenging
but they died down and i fished till 2 
when they cranked back up out of the north and moved the ice sheet in and shrinkin the playing field
nice day to git the float on and exercise the troots

[/url][url=https://app.photobucket.com/u/skifishbum/a/8171f087-08a7-45f9-b537-c78033e2dfa2/p/8406af55-7ede-4571-b3c5-0d907afffdec][Image: DSCN7797_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds][Image: DSCN7774_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
happy tails
[Image: DSCN7766_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Is the water open to fish for ice off?