Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuttin' at Lindon 4-18-22
Not a lot of good reports coming from Utah Lake these days.  So I thought I'd try to do the work to make a good one.  Didn't happen.  It was a NO day...no white bass, no walleyes and no catfish.  But there were also no carp and no bullheads. Also no water skiers and no skeeters.  Some nos are better than others. 

Weather forecast was good...with warming temps and light breezes.  Air temp at 7 am launch was 39...not bad...and warmed to 64 by noon departure.  Water temp was 51 at launch and 55 at departure.  Still a ways to go.  Never had more than a light chop on the water, and although it was a bit "stained" it wasn't chocolate. 

Water level in the marina was still around 3 feet...with some areas slightly less.  Saw no live fish on sonar but did see a "VDF" (very dead floater) white bass inside the harbor.  Was hoping the dieoff from down south did not hit the Lindon area. 

Motored down to the bubbleup.  Amazing.  I could hear it before I got there.  Lots of water boiling up over much of the length of the underwater pipe.  Haven't seen it putting out this much water for quite a few years.  Began to have hope that there might be hordes of white bass and maybe a few walleyes hanging out around the inflows. 
[Image: BUBBLEUP-BOILING.jpg]
But as I got ready to make my first cast over the pipe there was a loud BOOOOM.   And a cloud of dust rose up from the gravel operation across the lake.   My poor old heart skipped a few beats.  I had experienced fishing at Lindon before when they were blasting at the gravel pit...or firing cannons at Camp Williams.  I have had my fishing go from wide open to totally shut down in an instant.  Today was the same.  Never landed a first fish.  Had a few light taps and a pop and drop on a minnow.  Even had a couple of small fish hooked briefly on plastics.  But never killed the skunk today.  Can't remember the last time I struck out totally on Utah Lake. 

I gave it a good shot.  I worked a succession of plastics up and down the bubbleup pipeline.  Nary a sniff.  Saw a few fish on sonar but no schools...and none with their little mouths open.  Finally gave up and started dragging minnows and fligs out in the open water...working from 3' out to 6'.  Again, saw few fish even on the side finder and only had one pop and drop on a minnow.  The way it hit I suspect it was a bullhead. 

A little after 10...after 3 hours of nada...I motored all the way down to the flats north of the marina...out off Battle Creek.   There was still an occasional BOOM, so I wasn't really too optimistic.  Nothing on catfish rigs and only a couple of tweaks on small plastics.  No fish to the tube today.  The highlight was watching the Front Runner train run back and forth along the tracks...with Timp in the background. 
[Image: FRONT-RUNNER.jpg]
I'd a druther caught some fish.  Bagged it about noon.
Sorry to hear of your lake of success at UL. Do you think t had anything to do with the full moon?
(04-19-2022, 12:49 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sorry to hear of your lake of success at UL. Do you think t had anything to do with the full moon?

The full moon is always a convenient excuse for anglers who have a bad day.  But in all honesty, I have fished Utah Lake since the 1960s...throughout every possible moon phase...and I have had some good days during a full moon.  If I were to try to affix the blame it would be for a couple of reasons. 

First, the aforementioned blasting.  I could not only hear them but I could feel them in my legs which were in the water.  That has been a problem a few times in the past.  It also happened one time while I was fishing on the Sacramento River.  I had been catching lots of small stripers and some nice cats while fishing from shore.  Then there was a huge explosion to the northeast...followed by several more...and a towering cloud of smoke.  A train had caught fire in Roseville and it was loaded with 500 pound bombs.  The rest of the story?  No more bites during the next 4 or 5 hours.

Secondly,  "Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't."  Was carefully watching the down imaging and the side imaging in combination all day.  Very few marks at any depth.  There weren't even any carp.  Usually at this time of year there are large clumps forming on the surface just offshore...lining up their dates for the spring fling.  Today I watched the mostly calm surface as far as I could see and  only saw a couple of small swirls...and no leaping and splashing as is normal.  When even the carp go elsewhere there's gotta be a reason.

But I can take it.  I'm a big boy.  Whimper whimper...sniff sniff.
Sorry Pat, I expected yesterday would have been a good day... I didn't end up able to get out, so I was sure I'd missed a good one... Guess you're helping me feel a little better about not being able to get on the water... Sure was nice weather, other than the breeze... Better luck next time... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
sometimes skunk happen, keeps you humble ?

Was hoping to hear better reports from UL, got my turkey taken care of and ready for more fishing, notice there hasn't been many down to LB, keep thinking BLK will be parked there, so I dont think LB is producing also, might have to slip down this or next week after work and see whats going on,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(04-19-2022, 07:06 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: sometimes skunk happen,  keeps you humble ?

Was hoping to hear better reports from UL, got my turkey taken care of and ready for more fishing, notice there hasn't been many down to LB, keep thinking BLK will be parked there, so I dont think LB is producing also,  might have to slip down this or next week after work and see whats going on,
Since posting my non-report I have received several calls and emails from other Utah Lake anglers who have been experiencing tough fishing lately.  Most seem to feel that the fish are unsettled with the changing weather patterns and are either sulking or have temporarily moved to more favorable surroundings.  I believe that once water temps stabilize above about 55 degrees it will turn on for everybody. 

By the way, I gave our custom colored plastics a good workout yesterday with only a couple of light taps.  It can only get better.  Can't get no worser.
It must be bad between my cool custom color and your skills on how to make em wiggle just right, maybe next week after the weekend snow,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(04-19-2022, 11:48 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: It must be bad between my cool custom color and your skills on how to make em wiggle just right, maybe next week after the weekend snow,
You know you're in Utah when you gotta use both a lawnmower and snow blower in the same week.
Was going to write yesterday and tell you I and Mrs. J had the (almost) same type of day. We put in at LB, played around awhile between the end of the channel and the spring, no luck, then headed east. We did what we thought would get a couple for dinner, no luck!  We fished as far as the river. Nothing. We made a pass near the slough as close as 2 1/5' of water would let us.  Between there and the jetty I finally got hit, by what I know not. Can only guess it was a wihte bass , a bull head or a channel cat. It only hang on long enough to know it was a fish. That's the pits when it was the first time I have been able to get out fishing in 6 1/2 months.

In all honesty I can say that's OK. The 5 hours we were out was well worth it. The weather was good, we were comfortable, away from home and entertained by the birds.

I do hope things change soon though, I just finished the last package of cat fish.

We did see one white fish, belly up at the end of the channel on our way back in.

Water depth in the channel, below the transducer was 2.5-2.7' until the  the turn north.

rj