Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG/GR 4-15 report
Took Friday off in expectation of catching my first lake trout. Was not expecting the hurricane we found.  Also the spot we were to fish that had produced lakers the past couple of years was now 2 feet out of the water. As we worked our way against the wind back to the boat ramp we had a brief reprieve from the wind. I started casting a white tube jig. At first I thought I had a snag, nope. Fish on! It was only 26”s but it’s the biggest and best fighting trout I have ever caught. It was so fun fighting a fish strong enough that I couldn’t just horse it in.  Unfortunately it was the only fish we caught on the gorge. Almost caught an osprey. It kept diving on my swim bait.  One guy launched a kayak searching for the bows but didn’t see anyone on the shore. I was hoping to try to catch some of those big spawners but with the wind, we bailed. 

Next day we decided to try our luck on the Green. We launched our raft around 8 along with all of the guides. Note to self, start 30 min earlier to beat the rush. The wind wasn’t bad…at first.  We had to have one of us on the oars constantly or the wind would push us into the shore. Down at Little Hole it took me 30 min to row 300 yards. During the big gusts I had no control of the raft, it would blow us upstream, against the current 3 or 4 mph! Tried to cancel our truck shuttle service down to bottom of B section but we were too late. Fortunately the wind was a little better during B. We caught a lot of nice browns, all on spin tackle, the biggest was 20”. B was nice because we mostly had the river to ourselves. A is always crowded. Tube jig, rapalas, and spinners worked well.
[Image: 337-A560-C-8-B41-421-D-B266-5-FBD32-E6-A810.jpg]
Congrats on a nice Mac and a great river trip... Not often you find wind strong enough to push you upstream on the Green... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
That's a sturdy looking laker. Nice catch.

Yeah, that wind in the canyon sounds brutal. Glad you still worked it out though.
[font="Proxima Nova Regular", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][Image: NofG8Ks.jpg][/font]
UTAH WATER LOG
I have had days on that river where we had to row all the way down, what a pain in the @ss!!!