Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass...and wind! Day Two.
I fished Sand Hollow today. Or, rather this morning. Bass were hard to find, despite some excellent info I received via PM. Caught some on crankbaits but couldn't find them in numbers. And they ignored my usual fail-safe drop shot rig entirely. 

Forecast was for high winds in the afternoon and they were NOT kidding. I felt the first tentative gust at 12:30 and fished for only a few more minutes before I saw dust on the horizon. Got trailered up just in time. By the time I got back to town, it was really hard to hold a car door open against the wind. Afternoon nap was called for. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be near calm, but what this blow will do to the fish is anybody's guess. I'll give it the old college try, though. 

Headed home Thursday.  

Day Two Addendum: 

It was near calm all day today. Water temps dropped two degrees due to the heavy winds last night. Bass were in 21 feet of water, and so were the crappie. Today, the drop shot rig worked a champ. Caught quite a few bass once I found them, and two 12" crappie. Released them all because it's too long a drive home to try to keep them. Took no pictures, but all the bass were cookie cutter 15" and 2+ pounds.
Good luck tomorrow, Hope the weather will give you a good break so you can enjoy the rest of your trip. That's a long trip but sometimes ya just got ta do it.

Are you able to talk your wife into traveling with you?

rj
No bass today on the drive home, but did get lots more wind! Fortunately, it was a tail wind, and it boosted my gas mileage to almost 23. I got 18 on the way down.
Put up a sail and see if you can hit 50 mpg!
Yup...the joys of Hurricane, UT! Wind and more wind! I've had my best days out on SH in the wind, but it's risky business because good fishing wind can quickly turn into boat capsizing wind.