Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fishing pond/small lake in Northern Ut?
For the last month or more, as I drive by the mouth of Weber canyon, on Hwt 89, I've noticed a new project going on, anyone have an idea what they are doing? It is right in the middle of the two gravel pits on the East and West sides of the rode. They are driving these huge support beams into the ground between the East and West lanes of the Hwy and this week it appears they are getting ready to put another bridge over the river, near the location where the support beams are going in. Also it appears they are getting ready to start digging a tunnel under the Freeway.  20 years ago or so, they talked about deverting the river and filling up the two pits with water to form a big pond, for wind surfing and fishing, once they were done getting gravel out of the pits, could this be what they are doing? Has anyone heard anything about this? It would be cool if that were the plan because it is such a close location it would really be interesting to see what kind of fish they would plant in it, if that were the plan.
Nope!  No new lake.  I called Geneva Rock and talked to the property manager of all their properties.  The Uintah property south of I-84 and west of US 89 is still producing construction products and will continue to do so for so time yet.  The pit on the east side of US 89 and south of I-84 is scheduled to be filled in with dirt and will not be a lake.

I also talked to UDOT, and they said the construction you see is for a culvert underpass and a foot bridge over the river for the pedestrian path in that area.  

You're welcome!   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-25-2022, 03:35 PM)dubob Wrote: Nope!  No new lake.  I called Geneva Rock and talked to the property manager of all their properties.  The Uintah property south of I-84 and west of US 89 is still producing construction products and will continue to do so for so time yet.  The pit on the east side of US 89 and south of I-84 is scheduled to be filled in with dirt and will not be a lake.

I also talked to UDOT, and they said the construction you see is for a culvert underpass and a foot bridge over the river for the pedestrian path in that area.  

Thanks for your research Bob, we pass by this area often and had wondered what the plan was in that area. Hoped they'd extend the NB lane for the I-84 exit which of course would be really nice especially for our use. LOL.
(04-25-2022, 04:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: Thanks for your research Bob, we pass by this area often and had wondered what the plan was in that area. Hoped they'd extend the NB lane for the I-84 exit which of course would be really nice especially for our use. LOL.
The UDOT guy said there will be some construction in the future to improve that I-84/US 89 interchange but couldn't say when.  The current US 89 construction project from I-84 going south to Farmington does not include that interchange at the present.  He thought maybe starting it in 2024.  Do not hold your breath.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-25-2022, 10:09 PM)dubob Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 04:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: Thanks for your research Bob, we pass by this area often and had wondered what the plan was in that area. Hoped they'd extend the NB lane for the I-84 exit which of course would be really nice especially for our use. LOL.
The UDOT guy said there will be some construction in the future to improve that I-84/US 89 interchange but couldn't say when.  The current US 89 construction project from I-84 going south to Farmington does not include that interchange at the present.  He thought maybe starting it in 2024.  Do not hold your breath.  ?

Thought that may be case, of course we won't hold our breath. Think actually they've taken on a large project with all they've done thus far on the 89 project and I think so far its going to be really nice, they've done well at keeping the traffic flowing while doing it.
(04-25-2022, 03:35 PM)dubob Wrote: Nope!  No new lake.  I called Geneva Rock and talked to the property manager of all their properties.  The Uintah property south of I-84 and west of US 89 is still producing construction products and will continue to do so for so time yet.  The pit on the east side of US 89 and south of I-84 is scheduled to be filled in with dirt and will not be a lake.

Thanks Bob, bummer about it not being a lake any time soon but when I drive by I see water in the bottom of that pit on the South side, so maybe it won't be another twenty year before their lake plan takes shape. Undecided