Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally got the boat wet
So far this spring I have been a bit later than usual getting out on the water. For reasons of low water levels, low energy, procrastinated boat or trailer maintenance, any or all reasons (excuses) take your pick.

I finally got out to Willard Bay (South) this past Saturday. Weather was really nice. Didn't take accurate note of air or water temps, but it was a blue sky, high cloud, light breeze, perfect bait dragging slow drift day. 

Started my drift dragging raw shrimp on 2 lines about 200 yards off the south wall just east of the south marina channel. 
Started where the sonar was showing lots of marks near the bottom in 6-7 fow, and slow drifting in a roughly north-east direction.  The fish marks got pretty thin out about 10-11 fow, so I would bring in the lines and motor back towards the south wall, and moving a bit more towards the east.  
I continued this tactic and pattern for about an hour, covering several of my waypoint marks from last year. Results were a few hesitant tugs, a couple hit-run-drops, and one hard drag stripping run that was reminiscent of a Wiper hit. But none would stay buttoned. About the time I got directly out from the feed lot towers, the wind had changed direction and was coming out of the north-east, but still in a nice drifting speed. 
So about 1000 a.m. I had just started a drift from north-east to south-west over 10-9 fow and I got my skunk buster, rod bender.  Nice healthy typical WB Cat.    CPR

Continued my drift pattern till about 1200 noon with more hit and misses, but no more fish brought  to the net. 

As I headed back towards the marina I made note of water temp 55.3 F. Air temp from my truck when backing down the ramp 62 F.  Parking lot at the south ramps almost full, several big trailers, and one large 3 axle rig trying to launch as I was pulling out at 1300. 

A note of water depths: At the bottom of the center ramp 1.9-2.1'   Tied to outside dock cleat  3.0-3.5'   Off the dock in approx. middle of marina 4.0'   Marina to channel  4.0-4.5'  Down center  of channel 4.5-12.0'   From about 2/3rds of the channel toward main body keep a sharp eye on your sonar, keep motor trimmed up as shallow as possible, and stay a bit right of center. Right at the channel outlet there is a sharp "hump" that comes up to 2.0-2.3' .  Thru the buoy area stay straight out for about 200 yards, water depth increases gradually to about 8-11 fow. 

There was water coming in from the baffles, and if it is allowed to continue, water levels might come up a foot or so over the next few weeks. 

[Image: 01-30-April-2022.jpg]     
[Image: 02.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Great Report Forest, glad you got the boat on the water.... Hope that will be the first of many float trips this year... I'll get your cat scored a little later today... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!