Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat work and homemade transom saver
Well I bought a used Honda 20hp last year. Its in great condition so I ran it all last open water season without a hiccup or looking at it... decided to change the lower unit oil today to get ready for the flotilla and was shocked to drain out about 4 or 5oz of what looks like black oil from a diesel engine. So I drained it all out and filled it with fresh new oil, checked and cleaned the spark plugs greased everything real good and then built a homemade transom saver out of all thread and some treated 2x4. Pretty satisfied with it. With my new transom I just got done with its ready to go... my neighbor is welding me a new stainless top cap for the transom to.  Last year I could tell the transom was bad so id put the motor in the back seat of my truck each time I went out... what a pain!!!
[Image: 20220503-142401.jpg]

[Image: 20220503-153732.jpg]

[Image: 20220503-153745.jpg]
At least the transom oil wasn't milky.
(05-03-2022, 10:19 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: At least the transom oil wasn't milky.

Thinking of hauling her to the strike in July, thats a long way to pull this little old boat trailer though!
Nice job, I need to follow your lead and get all the maintenance done on mine before I try to take a longer trip... See you at the flotilla... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I'm sorry to reply this way, but I wouldn't trust that board for nothing; especially on utah roads. If it splits your motor is coming down hard.
you are applying pressure on it with the strap, add rough roads ( oh man). if you have a friend that can weld like you say, see if he can do some more little welding. get more all thread that fits into a pipe. weld together a large wing nut with handles and add a large washer. weld two u shaped cups on one end of the pipe and one on the threaded rod. glue some rubber inner tube on the u shaped bracket that cups your lower motor unit. the best thing too is, add a spring over the threaded rod surrounded by another large washer that goes between the pipe and wing nut. this will help with the bumpy roads. I like the ingenuity, but you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best....

I know money is tight for us all, but I found this on E-bay for 70.00. some times it is easier to spend alittle to save time and money. by the money spent on rod and pipe and welding it could be worth it. I just don't trust the board with the grain running length ways. sorry for being a buzz kill
[Image: trans-saver.jpg]
I bought mine much cheaper than that and it has lasted for over five years. I got mine at Smith and edwards for around $20.
Just getting home from going to deer creek for a few hours then ending at utah lake, it worked perfectly