Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Water
U.S. takes unprecedented steps to replenish Colorado River's Lake Powell | Reuters
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(05-03-2022, 11:10 PM)Bduck Wrote: U.S. takes unprecedented steps to replenish Colorado River's Lake Powell | Reuters

Starting Thursday morning FG will release 1800 cfs/day , currently releasing 850 cfs/daily, until further notice.
So how will the xtra release affect the Green River Fishery below the dam ??? Will that increased flow damage the Blue ribbion fishery ??? I am sure the yakers and tooners this summer will enjoy the increased flow !!!
(05-04-2022, 02:13 PM)Therapist Wrote: So how will the xtra release affect the Green River Fishery below the dam ???  Will that increased flow damage the Blue ribbion fishery ???  I am sure the yakers and tooners this summer will enjoy the increased flow !!!

The release is consistent with traditional releases that occur in a moderately wet year, it's just more than what would occur in a moderately dry or drought year.  Water down there is a good thing, especially after the river has been so low with 850 cfs releases since November 1st.  The concern for the tailrace fishery would be the low releases that might occur in future years, when the BOR has to retain water to rebuild the water storage in Flaming Gorge.  This occurred in the mid 2000s when the river was at base flows for most of the year.  The abundance of trout increased, but the size, growth, and condition of trout was low.  Hope that helps, Ryno
The Gorge will drop 15 feet?????

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news...ting-power
(05-04-2022, 06:42 PM)Panchodog Wrote: The Gorge will drop 15 feet?????

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news...ting-power

It's a 15 ft net loss when the forecasted inflow is calculated, but the release will actually equate to about an 8-9 ft elevation drop from the current reservoir level of 6,019 ft.  In the April Working Group meeting, the Bureau of Reclamation predicted the reservoir would be down to 6,010 ft by fall-winter.

Hope it helps, Ryno
Thanks for the input Ryno!! Hope you are doing well and are having fun at the Gorge !!
I called FG fly shop to ask what the increased flows will mean for the fishery. He said for this year it’s good for fishing. Perfect flows are around 1500 cfs. At 850 the rocks are trickier to dodge. We floated the green 3 weeks ago at around 850 cfs and got hung up twice on the shallow rocks. We were in a raft so no big deal. Hate to try that in a hard boat. Fishing was still really good though.
15 ft? Isn't that a drop in the bucket for how low Powell is right now? I don't see what this will accomplish in the big picture. I guess anything will help but it sure does not seem like much.
(05-03-2022, 11:10 PM)Bduck Wrote: U.S. takes unprecedented steps to replenish Colorado River's Lake Powell | Reuters

I'll support those who are making these decisions because I wouldn't want to be in their situation right now. But the fact is that Lake Powell was misbegotten from the very beginning. Hydrologists, geologists, biologists and a host of environmental groups pointed out the wastefulness of building a dam on sand stone in an arid climate. The water taken from FG will not equate to the same amount of water downstream and most certainly not below Powell.

Still, we have to live with that colossal (political) mistake. What needs to happen now is a fresh look with current data. Fresh = not biased in favor of expansion/development.

But tell you what - if I was king of the universe, there would be a moratorium on all new developments.