Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did we land it?
Yesterday, I made my 4th sturgeon trip for the year.  Rob and Rick joined me on this adventure.  We caught 25 sturgeon (ranged between ~36" and 82") and four rainbow trout (all caught while fishing for sturgeon, with sturgeon bait and ~7/0 hooks).  We also lost 9 sturgeon and had one break off in an anchor rope. 

Landing the largest sturgeon was a wild adventure.  Rob is not known for casting long distances and so when he hooks a sturgeon it can get exciting really fast.  I was fishing from the bow of the boat and Rob was fishing behind the stern.  Within seconds of Rob hooking the sturgeon it jumped maybe 2 feet from me and splashed me with water.  At the same time it got tangled in the line from one of my rods.  It circled around under the boat from the port side of the boat to the starboard side and in the process hooked the anchor line on the bow of the boat and the anchor line that was off the stern and also wrapped around one of Rick's rods.  We somehow got it unwrapped from the bow anchor line and we were able to land it while still wrapped around the rear anchor rope.  Rick's rod was easily untangled from the mess but my line was hopelessly tangled with Rob's line.  Time to break out the knife and clippers to cut off the tangled mess.  I can't believe that we are able to land that sturgeon.  Over the years, we have had many sturgeon break off when they got tangled in another angler's fishing line or the anchor rope. 

A fun time was had by all and I can't wait to do it all over again.
Better to be lucky than good. What a riot that would be.
(05-05-2022, 05:09 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Yesterday, I made my 4th sturgeon trip for the year.  Rob and Rick joined me on this adventure.  We caught 25 sturgeon (ranged between ~36" and 82") and four rainbow trout (all caught while fishing for sturgeon, with sturgeon bait and ~7/0 hooks).  We also lost 9 sturgeon and had one break off in an anchor rope. 

Landing the largest sturgeon was a wild adventure.  Rob is not known for casting long distances and so when he hooks a sturgeon it can get exciting really fast.  I was fishing from the bow of the boat and Rob was fishing behind the stern.  Within seconds of Rob hooking the sturgeon it jumped maybe 2 feet from me and splashed me with water.  At the same time it got tangled in the line from one of my rods.  It circled around under the boat from the port side of the boat to the starboard side and in the process hooked the anchor line on the bow of the boat and the anchor line that was off the stern and also wrapped around one of Rick's rods.  We somehow got it unwrapped from the bow anchor line and we were able to land it while still wrapped around the rear anchor rope.  Rick's rod was easily untangled from the mess but my line was hopelessly tangled with Rob's line.  Time to break out the knife and clippers to cut off the tangled mess.  I can't believe that we are able to land that sturgeon.  Over the years, we have had many sturgeon break off when they got tangled in another angler's fishing line or the anchor rope. 

A fun time was had by all and I can't wait to do it all over again.
Thanks Kent...Good times. Nice to get to know Rick.
As usual you where a very gracious host...best part of the trip was seeing a big sturgeon get even with you by surprising you and then splashing you with water...the look on your face was priceless!!