Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Willard trip
The weather has been "iffy" for several days, but today was forecast to be clear, warm, light breeze. So headed out to Willard South. Got on the water about 0830 and lines wet at 0839. 
Was close to dead calm for the first hour or so. Breeze came up to perfect drifting speed about 1000.
I worked the area between the feed lot towers and the channel outlet, pretty much same as last week, just in a different area. Most of the fish marks on the sonar were in the 9-11 fow range but they paid no attention to any of the bait, or lures I was dragging. 
About 1200 the breeze seem to shift around to the west and increase in strength. Water was close to white caps. So I packed up my skunk and headed for the dock. 

[Image: 04-5-May-2022-skunked.jpg]

Had a very quick run in with another BFTer while we were launching. I'm sorry I don't remember his name but he offered to help me launch. I appreciate his kind offer, but I've been launching that little Tin-Can of mine by myself for 15 years. So far I can still get it launched and recovered without any help......  ask me again in a few years maybe.   Shy 

After I pulled out about 1230, I ran into another BFTer and his better half who pulled up behind me at the dumpster. Now this one I remember "FarmBoat".  We had a nice conversation, now I can put a face with the name and the boat. Hope you 2 had a safe trip home.   
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sorry Willard did not treat you better today Forest, did you happen to notice what the water temp was?
(05-05-2022, 09:27 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sorry Willard did not treat you better today Forest, did you happen to notice what the water temp was?

I was showing 55 coming out of the south marina in my float tube. I tried dragging worms on a floating jig, jigging soft plastics and throwing a few cranks, staying close to the channel. Marking fish with no love. 
Gabe
We were getting off WB the same time as you and the other couple, we were in the white Lund.  Only fished two hours then the wind was starting to kick up pretty good.

Shut out on the walleye. Only action was BIG carp that I foul-hooked in the dorsal fin.  I figured out pretty quick it was a f/h carp and ook quite a while to get the beast to the net - I wanted my lure back!!!  Smile
(05-05-2022, 10:11 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 09:27 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sorry Willard did not treat you better today Forest, did you happen to notice what the water temp was?

I was showing 55 coming out of the south marina in my float tube. I tried dragging worms on a floating jig, jigging soft plastics and throwing a few cranks, staying close to the channel. Marking fish with no love. 
Gabe

That is interesting as I was there last night and coming off the lake at dark water temp was right at 60 at the south boat ramps. 

Could be just a difference in fish finders or a full day of sun changed it 5 degrees it was 57 out in the south west corner  and water was much clearer.
(05-05-2022, 11:35 PM)UTFISHING Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 10:11 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

Gabe

That is interesting as I was there last night and coming off the lake at dark water temp was right at 60 at the south boat ramps. 

Could be just a difference in fish finders or a full day of sun changed it 5 degrees it was 57 out in the south west corner  and water was much clearer.
It can easily change 5 degrees over night, pretty normal but the good news is the water temp is staying above 55 degrees, so that is what I wanted to hear, also the clearer water in the SW corner. Did you happen to notice if the water is still coming in full bore over the baffles?
My wife and I also decided to give Willard a try and were able to land 4 walleye. No real size to them as they ranged from 14 to 16 inches. All were caught on number 5 flicker shads dragging them 60 feet behind the boat at 1.6 to 1.8 mph. The fish we caught were about 100 yards south east of the light pole.
Now for the best part of the trip, as Tin Can stated above we were the ones that parked behind him at the dumpster (Farm Boat) and while getting the boats back on the trailers to leave we had a great conversation with him and look forward to more conversations in the future.  
We always enjoy meeting new people and sharing a few fishing notes and stories so if you see the red and white Crestliner with farm boat on the side don't hesitate to say hello and if nothing else we can probably tell you what didn't work that day.
Tin-can it was me that offered. I just kbow it helps to have a hand sometimes. I got skunked also. Will be back at it tomorrow. It will turn on soon i hope.
(05-06-2022, 12:16 AM)Farmboat Wrote: My wife and I also decided to give Willard a try and were able to land 4 walleye. No real size to them as they ranged from 14 to 16 inches. All were caught on number 5 flicker shads dragging them 60 feet behind the boat at 1.6 to 1.8 mph. The fish we caught were about 100 yards south east of the light pole.
Now for the best part of the trip, as Tin Can stated above we were the ones that parked behind him at the dumpster (Farm Boat) and while getting the boats back on the trailers to leave we had a great conversation with him and look forward to more conversations in the future.  
We always enjoy meeting new people and sharing a few fishing notes and stories so if you see the red and white Crestliner with farm boat on the side don't hesitate to say hello and if nothing else we can probably tell you what didn't work that day.

Good to hear you and your wife did good, this time of the year before the walleye catching really takes off, finding a location where they are biting is the key, then staying on them. Some days you can spend a lot of time locating those active fish but once you find them I believe having a GPS really helps put more fish in the boat.
(05-06-2022, 03:40 AM)goose_716 Wrote: Tin-can it was me that offered.  I just kbow it helps to have a hand sometimes.  I got skunked also.  Will be back at it tomorrow.  It will turn on soon i hope.

Hey, thanks again for the assistance offer. Sorry I couldn't remember your name. Looks as if I wasn't the only one that had no joy yesterday.  Hope you do better today.  

(05-06-2022, 12:16 AM)Farmboat Wrote: My wife and I also decided to give Willard a try and were able to land 4 walleye. No real size to them as they ranged from 14 to 16 inches. All were caught on number 5 flicker shads dragging them 60 feet behind the boat at 1.6 to 1.8 mph. The fish we caught were about 100 yards south east of the light pole.

Glad you did better than me yesterday. West Jordan could be a long drive if you have to pack a skunk with you   Big Grin . 

Enjoyed the conversation, I'll be watching for that Crestliner when I'm on the water.  

Question: You were wearing a Peach State Freightliner ball cap yesterday.  Did you spend some time in Georgia ? 

Curt, several answers to this have been posted, but I'll just stick my observation in anyway. 

South area near feed lot and from about 6 fow to 11fow  was bouncing between 57.5 and 59.0

Yes, there was water coming from the baffles, but not alot, I would guess at about 20% flow.  Were numerous bank tanglers along the banks and rocks.  Saw one guy leaving with a stringer of what looked like 3 Wiper.

Cool
I have never been to Georgia, the Peach State Freightliner ball cap is just a freebee that was given to me.
As for the long ride home with a skunk I have been there more times than I care to remember.
(05-05-2022, 10:32 PM)LundLefty Wrote: We were getting off WB the same time as you and the other couple, we were in the white Lund.  Only fished two hours then the wind was starting to kick up pretty good.

Shut out on the walleye. Only action was BIG carp that I foul-hooked in the dorsal fin.  I figured out pretty quick it was a f/h carp and ook quite a while to get the beast to the net - I wanted my lure back!!!  Smile

That is a nice looking Lund.  Is it fairly new ?

Cool
2021 1775 Adventure. My 65th birthday present - suggested by my wife... Smile
Isn’t it about time for the wipers to feast on mussels?
(05-07-2022, 12:27 AM)Thorny Wrote: Isn’t it about time for the wipers to feast on mussels?

That started a week or two ago. Big crowds at the SW corner, the corner by Freeway bay and the outlet on the North end.