Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korn For Kokes
I am new to fishing for Kokanee.  I bought an older boat and fixed it up so my wife isn't too embarrassed to ride in it.  Outfitted it with electric downriggers, remote control electric trolling motor, a 6 HP gas kicker and traditional sonar as well as Livescope.  So now I'm rigged up I'm looking to learn all I can about catching Konanee.  I have learned a lot from this forum so I thought I'd ask a question about some things I've read on the world wide inter web.  I have never heard mentioned on here the use of corn or scented corn in fishing for Kokanee.  Is that something anyone uses here? Effective?  Please forgive me if this is a rookie question and is not something that either works or is socially acceptable.
I've seen corn, both the commercial and homemade work, but I have not found it to be superior to the berkley power maggots. Biggest problem with the berkley power maggots is finding them. I have my stash that I purchased several months ago. I guess if I run out corn may be an option. Again this is just my opinion.
I second the Berkley power maggots. Pink is the preferred color. If you can't find the pink just dye the natural color maggots pink. Works fine. I have also used salad shrimp natural or dyed pink with success. Fire corn works but you have to rebait constantly. The other options stay on the hook longer.
(05-09-2022, 06:28 PM)stan55 Wrote: I second the Berkley power maggots. Pink is the preferred color. If you can't find the pink just dye the natural color maggots pink. Works fine. I have also used salad shrimp natural or dyed pink with success. Fire corn works but you have to rebait constantly. The other options stay on the hook longer.

Is pink the same as red?  I'm finding red and white online but not pink.
Make sure you are looking at Gulp Power Maggots. The red color is Gulp Alive Maggots. Two different baits. I've tried the Gulp Alive and wasn't happy with the results. Kokanee Tackle has them at 4.99. I haven't seen them at Sportsman's since last spring. Scheels has them on and off but they go quick. Too many Koke chasers around here. They really are the preferred bait.
(05-09-2022, 07:03 PM)stan55 Wrote: Make sure you are looking at Gulp Power Maggots. The red color is Gulp Alive Maggots. Two different baits. I've tried the Gulp Alive and wasn't happy with the results. Kokanee Tackle has them at 4.99. I haven't seen them at Sportsman's since last spring. Scheels has them on and off but they go quick. Too many Koke chasers around here. They really are the preferred bait.
Thanks, just ordered some!
I use shoe peg corn quite a bit, especially last year because the Berkeley maggots weren't available. I dyed some corn and scented some as well. Everything worked fine.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
The Pautzke fire has worked well for me. The cheapest place I've found to get it is at Walmart.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
The asticots were the preferred prior to the legalization of corn. I still have a stash of the maggots but have switched over to shoepeg corn trying different flavors of scents mixed in. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(05-10-2022, 12:07 PM)Bduck Wrote: The asticots were the preferred prior to the legalization of corn. I still have a stash of the maggots but have switched over to shoepeg corn trying different flavors of scents mixed in. 

It would be great to hear your or anyone else's favorite corn color, scent, and flavor recipes if you care to share.  If they are proprietary and you want to give us the opportunity of doing our own research and experimentation I could certainly understand that.
There are plenty of youtube videos that will teach you how and give you lots of information.
(05-10-2022, 04:37 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 12:07 PM)Bduck Wrote: The asticots were the preferred prior to the legalization of corn. I still have a stash of the maggots but have switched over to shoepeg corn trying different flavors of scents mixed in. 

It would be great to hear your or anyone else's favorite corn color, scent, and flavor recipes if you care to share.  If they are proprietary and you want to give us the opportunity of doing our own research and experimentation I could certainly understand that.

I tried 2 different dyes but wasn't too convinced using those, after a couple of weeks I had to throw away the corn as it was starting to go bad with mold forming. Gels are ok but mold forms too with these after a while. So I stay to gels directly on the lure of dodger. I have found that using oil scent with corn lasts a long time. I had 3 different batches/recipes made up late last summer keeping it refrigerated until used, I used it once this spring with success but now opted for a fresh batch to start with this new season. Procure, Slammin' Sam's, & Smelly Jelly in oil or gel are good products to try and you can concoct your own recipe with aid of these products by adding garlic. A can of shoepeg corn I will divide into 3 batches to have with me fishing. You never know what will work on a given day.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
i've been using slam in sammy's tuna garlic mixed into fire corn or gulp maggots with good success , i'm going to try mixing my own corn this year also.
I use both but corn (shoe peg) has been my preferred probably because that’s what I started with. For scents I use pro cure bloody tuna, and krill, smelly jelly Kokanee feast, tuna (oil from a can of canned tuna). If I’m going to use a garlic I add chopped garlic to the corn or to one of the other scents. I did try dying the corn but it was a mess and you will probably have colored fingers for a day or so lol, I’ve had days where a colored corn seems to be the magic but now if it want color I use the Berkeley maggots or Fire corn with the colors they have

I have started adding some non iodized salt to my corn to keep the mold at bay, just don’t mix a bunch of it up, I use the little small Tupperware type of containers (I get them at Walmart) and 1 can will give you about 4 containers of scented corn so that you have some different types. I also carry a can of corn and scents in the boat just in case.
Last year Berkley maggots were in short supply so far this year I have been seeing them everywhere starting a few months back. I picked up a couple extras haven’t looked recently but a couple stores said they are available now. For me they have been much easier to use and the couple times I tried “unscientific” testing Berkley maggots worked better for me and were much less mess than the scented corn to use. I usually have no problem catching limits with Berkley maggots in Utah waters and in other states. So I don’t mess with corn anymore. I know one thing for sure you catch the most on what you fish the most. I use pink and cht and sometimes one of each works great for me.
That’s my two cents worth on the topic.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life