Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colored Hooks
I keep a supply of red coated hooks in different sizes for replacement on lures. Catching a few fish on a set of red hooks using a pair of needle nose pliars removing the hook from the fish the coating tends to wear off of the hooks revealing its natural base, but the catch rate hasn't changed when I keep using this lure. Is the red coating there for the eye of the beholder to have a nice-looking presentation or do you think it really makes a difference to catching fish? If a lure has flash of chrome or copper/gold blades or even with reflective tape in many colors is that red coated hook making a difference? Most plug style baits purchased don't have a colored hook, but they do catch. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I don't think so, have tried the macks glow hooks and they may have made a slight difference, think the coated hooks just don't rust as fast as one that is uncoated.
My theory is if it helps even a little, then they are good. You have to consider that even if there a little red paint left on the hook, then they likely will still help.
Yep, if it helps it's a big plus.
Actually 15 ft down red color is completely absorbed and will show as black. The red wearing off your hooks to underlying gold actually has more contrast so might be beneficial. In my experience it doesn't hurt.
I wore some of TD's fligs with red hooks plumb out. They worked great with the plastic body hanging halfway off and the hook down to bronze. The fish didn't care, they just kept nailing them.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.