Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine water levels
FYI last year the lake topped out at 10k acre feet and it’s currently at 12k and rising, my neighbor who is on the water board for the lake said with rate it’s rising it should be spilling in 6-8 days so it’s looking good for this summer currently. Just an FYI if you didn’t see the info from DWR the camping areas below the dam have all been closed and is day use only, to much trash and from what I saw people were “living” there in their campers and the junk around the camps was crazy
[Image: 2-F7-E253-F-A6-E9-46-CA-99-F8-D8-EBC24-D1663.jpg]

[Image: 5-CF23860-F0-D3-4-EBB-B63-E-693-AD9-CDD273.jpg]
Great info Alan, it's looking good for the Pig this year, just wish more lakes would follow suit but that is very unlikely. Looks like a little fresh snow there overnight as well.
Sounds great Alan, i didn't expect that to happen... I don't think the real runoff slush has even hit yet, so that's great news... Thanks for the update... I do expect the irrigation to start kicking in pretty heavy soon... I'm watering my fields now and they are really dry for this time of year with this much cool temperatures... Nice to have water, at least now... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(05-12-2022, 04:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds great Alan, i didn't expect that to happen... I don't think the real runoff slush has even hit yet, so that's great news... Thanks for the update... I do expect the irrigation to start kicking in pretty heavy soon... I'm watering my fields now and they are really dry for this time of year with this much cool temperatures... Nice to have water, at least now...  Later J
I’m surprised how dry you are in that area, we’ve been getting some moisture almost weekly. Yes it good to see the way it’s coming up this year. Hope the run lasts longer and the level can be maintained for some time into summer

(05-12-2022, 04:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds great Alan, i didn't expect that to happen... I don't think the real runoff slush has even hit yet, so that's great news... Thanks for the update... I do expect the irrigation to start kicking in pretty heavy soon... I'm watering my fields now and they are really dry for this time of year with this much cool temperatures... Nice to have water, at least now...  Later J
I’m surprised how dry you are in that area, we’ve been getting some moisture almost weekly. Yes it good to see the way it’s coming up this year. Hope the run lasts longer and the level can be maintained for some time into summer
We've been getting a little moisture here and there, last night about a 1/3" which was the best we've had in a couple weeks, mostly just getting wind and cold temps... But after I finish watering, it will be time for some heat so things will get growing... They should really jump with good moisture and the 80 degree temps on the way... Hope so anyway... Looks like you've been having some fun in the SXS... Glad you're able to enjoy your retirement... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Alan, Thanks for posting the photos. I think I told you I used to spend a lot of time up there. My brothers and I would walk across the dam then hike up the hill then around to Porcupine Creek and fish from the bank. Your photos bring back lots of memories. We always tried to camp by the spring at the north side of the road below the dam.

To bad the scum buckets have to ruin things so others have pay the consequences. I saw on the news some of the mess and the announcement
that the area would be closed.

Side note: I caught my first trout from the creek near there, long before the dam was built.

rj
(05-13-2022, 02:26 AM)Mr. J Wrote: Alan, Thanks for posting the photos. I think I told you I used to spend a lot of time up there. My brothers and I would walk across the dam then hike up the hill then around to Porcupine Creek and fish from the bank. Your photos bring back lots of memories. We always tried to camp by the spring at the north side of the road below the dam.

To bad the scum buckets have to ruin things so others have pay the consequences. I saw on the news some of the mess and the announcement
that the area would be closed.

Side note: I caught my first trout from the creek near there, long before the dam was built.

rj

Yea I remember you talking about that when we were out together last spring, I like that canyon and the lake, unfortunate they had to close the camps because of a few that were abusing the area, now they have moved off to some other spot I’m afraid and will do the same
(05-12-2022, 04:05 PM)2knots Wrote: FYI last year the lake topped out at 10k acre feet and it’s currently at 12k and rising, my neighbor who is on the water board for the lake said with rate it’s rising it should be spilling in 6-8 days so it’s looking good for this summer currently. Just an FYI if you didn’t see the info from DWR the camping areas below the dam have all been closed and is day use only, to much trash and from what I saw people were “living” there in their campers and the junk around the camps was crazy

Makes me sick, we started fishing Porcupine back in the summer of 1976 from our canoe for kokanee it was so beautiful then not many campers. We would pull our truck and camper in the shade near the creek coming from the spring. Kept our drinks cold in the water. There were no trees along the beach in those days. Our kids grew up fishing and swimming there. We later started renting a boat from the MWR on base and would spend vacations and weekends there throughout the summer. As years went by and the crowd grew we finally quit camping there and eventually it was banned all together. So many fond memories, we made several close family friends there fishing that continued thru the years, some of them have passed on now. I havent fished
 it for years now, loved to ice fish it for the Kokes.
(05-14-2022, 04:13 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 04:05 PM)2knots Wrote: FYI last year the lake topped out at 10k acre feet and it’s currently at 12k and rising, my neighbor who is on the water board for the lake said with rate it’s rising it should be spilling in 6-8 days so it’s looking good for this summer currently. Just an FYI if you didn’t see the info from DWR the camping areas below the dam have all been closed and is day use only, to much trash and from what I saw people were “living” there in their campers and the junk around the camps was crazy

Makes me sick, we started fishing Porcupine back in the summer of 1976 from our canoe for kokanee it was so beautiful then not many campers. We would pull our truck and camper in the shade near the creek coming from the spring. Kept our drinks cold in the water. There were no trees along the beach in those days. Our kids grew up fishing and swimming there. We later started renting a boat from the MWR on base and would spend vacations and weekends there throughout the summer. As years went by and the crowd grew we finally quit camping there and eventually it was banned all together. So many fond memories, we made several close family friends there fishing that continued thru the years, some of them have passed on now. I havent fished
 it for years now, loved to ice fish it for the Kokes.
Pete, I too remember those years mentioned, spent some summer weekends fishing the Pig. There was also some good fall hunting grounds I spent beyond the gate
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF