Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow day at the Bay today
Ira and I got out to Willard today and fished from 6:30 to noon, then headed in for the get together. We trolled near the North dike and picked up three eyes and one cat up to 21", # 5 flicker shad caught the most fish today but the cat was caught on an apex lure. Water temp started off at 57 degrees but climbed to 63 before noon. We were trolling from 1.5 to 1.9 mph. Good seeing all you BFT members out there today.
How did everyone else do?

[Image: willardeyes-5-14-22.jpg]
Nice job Curt, we didn't do very well, Greg was the only one to catch a cat in our boat, so we were nearly skunked...Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(05-16-2022, 01:19 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Nice job Curt, we didn't do very well, Greg was the only one to catch a cat in our boat, so we were nearly skunked...Later J

It was better than nothing but after our last outing there, where we caught 5 eyes, this one was a little disappointing not for us exactly but I was hoping everyone that brought their boat would have caught a few. I guess that's fishing and with all the unsettled weather we have had in the last week, I guess it comes as no surprise. With the warmer weather this week, I bet things will be changing. 
Were you guys trolling cranks or slow trolling fligs.
I didn't have my trolling motor running very well, so we tried the big motor for a fast troll of the cranks 2.8 mph with no luck, so we slow trolled .4-.7 mph (electric motor) fligs for a while... (That is what we were doing when Greg got his cat.) Then we tried bait fishing mussels for wiper, but I think it was too early in the day for that... So we finished up bottom bouncing a worm harness and fligs as we headed in... I ran out of time and didn't get my carb cleaned on the trolling motor, but I figured I better get my boat must have safety stuff done first so I was legal to run.... Next time I'll have the carb cleaned so I can hit the magic speed a little better for trolling... Was fun to get out and try things out, just need to work a few more bugs out to get the new boat back to where it will do what I want to do.. Funny how many of the things I had to fix on my old boat need the same repairs on the new boat... Sucks to have to go through those things again, but it should make a nice boat when we're done... (If you ever get done..) Guess we should have hit the other side of the pond, it sounded like a lot more fish were caught on that side this time.. Although there were some nice fish caught on our side as well, but a little further west... I need to not get so set on fishing one area... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Craig and I managed an average of 1 wiper apiece.  First time on the water there for us (other than a few ice fishing trips in the north marina) and we enjoyed getting out with the group.  I had hoped for a walleye too, but it wasn't in the cards.  I caught one of the wipers on a worm harness/bottom bouncer and the other on a short leader flig rig (pale perch with a mussel wrapped on with magic thread).  

We trolled roughly parallel to the north dike (probably stayed within a hundred yards, sometimes closer) and caught one going and one coming back.  Lots of lake went unexplored by us.  Hopefully we can get back up there sometime this summer.

[Image: IMG-6293.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
(05-16-2022, 04:55 PM)joatmon Wrote: Craig and I managed an average of 1 wiper apiece.  First time on the water there for us (other than a few ice fishing trips in the north marina) and we enjoyed getting out with the group.  I had hoped for a walleye too, but it wasn't in the cards.  I caught one of the wipers on a worm harness/bottom bouncer and the other on a short leader flig rig (pale perch with a mussel wrapped on with magic thread).  

We trolled roughly parallel to the north dike (probably stayed within a hundred yards, sometimes closer) and caught one going and one coming back.  Lots of lake went unexplored by us.  Hopefully we can get back up there sometime this summer.

Nice wipers, too bad the walleye did not cooperate for you guys. It was good to meet you on Sat. Did you try trolling a little faster with crank? We caught our eyes going about 1.5 to 1.9 mph.
What Brett didn't make real obvious was that I got skunked. We trolled as fast as my 30 lb. Minn Kota would push us which was about 1.6-1.8 mph. Wore out one battery and switched to another. Wanted to go at least 2.0-2.2 from what I had read and heard. I was determined to catch something on crank baits but switched to a bottom bouncer on one rod. We tried 2 oz which had plenty of contact with the bottom then switched to 1 oz which didn't seem to be dragging at all. What's the best weight? I'm determined to land some wipers and walleyes this year no matter how many times I have go back. Any other tips or suggestions?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

We ended up with 2 wipers and 2 eye’s, both caught on Flicker Shad size 5 running 160’ back at 1.7, as Curt said it wasn’t as good as the previous trip but from what I was seeing the fish were scattered
JArner and I caught 10 SMB trolling closer to the dike on the West side. Jim lost one other at the boat and we had several strikes and misses.  I had one bigger fish on for a bit but came unbuttoned. Flicker shads and a reef runner type lure caught them all going 2.0-2.7.
Craig, I was using a 2 oz. bottom bouncer and like you said, lots of contact. And Shawn used a 1 oz. We got a striper on the 2 oz. with worm harness Friday and another on Saturday after lunch. I also got a walleye with the 2 oz. and worm. And Shawn got two walleye, both on purple flicker shad Saturday. So I guess the 2 oz. worked better. I tried every color of rattle trap or crank bait in my tackle box without a hit on my second pole.
I did get some purple flicker shad today at Walmart. It will get good as it warms up just a little.
(05-16-2022, 10:16 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: JArner and I caught 10 SMB trolling closer to the dike on the West side. Jim lost one other at the boat and we had several strikes and misses.  I had one bigger fish on for a bit but came unbuttoned. Flicker shads and a reef runner type lure caught them all going 2.0-2.7.

Tried lots of flicker shad, guess I don't know the right color, can you tell me what colors do you like
The Flashy Ghost and the MF Bluegill are what has been working for me
Perch, fire-tiger and shad colored worked for us.