Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s the status of Strawberry?
Anybody been by there lately? Any boats out yet?

I have GOT to get out soon.
I fished there today. Maybe 20 boats fishing kokanees. Air temperature was 37 degrees this morning, hit 74 by 11 o'clock. Light wind
Water was 44 degrees we caught fish on the SC side.
Don't wait had a beautiful day.
I was there Friday the 13th, fished on the SC side. Got launched at 0630 and trolled out to where the battle ground was and that it was. First fish to the boat was a bow-released. Next 2 fish were kokes about 2lbs each. Hooked up with a cutty but had know idea how long I was dragging it around. By 0900 the wind came and 1030 I was heading to the dock. Between the many boats and fighting the wind it was a regular circus, a BATTLE GROUND. I burned 1/2 tank of diesel roundtrip to get those fishing grounds and spent a $100 topping off after getting home. Trips this season will be very selective few & far between.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(05-17-2022, 01:42 AM)Bduck Wrote: I was there Friday the 13th, fished on the SC side. Got launched at 0630 and trolled out to where the battle ground was and that it was. First fish to the boat was a bow-released. Next 2 fish were kokes about 2lbs each. Hooked up with a cutty but had know idea how long I was dragging it around. By 0900 the wind came and 1030 I was heading to the dock. Between the many boats and fighting the wind it was a regular circus, a BATTLE GROUND. I burned 1/2 tank of diesel roundtrip to get those fishing grounds and spent a $100 topping off after getting home. Trips this season will be very selective few & far between.

I don't remember ever having the price of fuel affect my fishing plans.  Going to the coast this year would cost me at least $1100 just for truck gas.  Not counting motel, license, boat gas, etc, etc.  Not sure I'll be going.  Even a trip to Strawberry is going to cost over $80.  Crazy!
Single main, no kicker. Wink
I did a solo trip to Powell last weekend for four days.
Diesel, puregas in boat, and generator fuel=$450.
Worth it?
Every penny!!!
I fished Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week all from camp at Strawberry. On Monday, Doitall5000 met me in Heber. We intended to drive to Soldier Creek, but just before the Strawberry Bay turn, we noticed Liketrolling on the side of the road with flashers going. I stopped to call him, but before I could get the phone out, he started again and passed me, turning to Strawberry Bay - so we followed.

After a short while, it appeared our better luck would be on Soldier Creek, so we motored through the narrows. There were quite a few boats there but not so that it was uncomfortable. We did better - 7 kokanee with number 8 coming as we trolled back toward the narrows. Always great fishing with VerDean.

Tuesday Kevin joined me at the Strawberry ramp. I was in favor of SC, but he wanted to stay on Strawberry. We trolled almost every location that I have previously had success, but Tuesday was wasted gas. 11 cutts only.

Wednesday I was by myself. The schools had moved from where we found them Monday - but not too far. Again there were quite a few boats. I could see the kokanee schools but the catching was not particularly fast. Managed 2 decent kokanee.

Today, Thursday, we woke up to gale force winds so we packed up and came home to mow lawns and other fun stuff. Be back up next week for more fun.
(05-17-2022, 01:42 AM)Bduck Wrote: I was there Friday the 13th, fished on the SC side. Got launched at 0630 and trolled out to where the battle ground was and that it was. First fish to the boat was a bow-released. Next 2 fish were kokes about 2lbs each. Hooked up with a cutty but had know idea how long I was dragging it around. By 0900 the wind came and 1030 I was heading to the dock. Between the many boats and fighting the wind it was a regular circus, a BATTLE GROUND. I burned 1/2 tank of diesel roundtrip to get those fishing grounds and spent a $100 topping off after getting home. Trips this season will be very selective few & far between.

Were the Kokes on top?  Planning on going tomorrow and using planer boards, trying to decide if I even want to bother with the downriggers this early.
(05-22-2022, 10:36 PM)wall3y3 Wrote: Were the Kokes on top?  Planning on going tomorrow and using planer boards, trying to decide if I even want to bother with the downriggers this early.

Two weeks ago, we were catching them at 35 to 45 ft down. So you might be able to catch them shallow but I'd take my riggers.
I will be out there tomorrow morning as well. I do not know how deep they will be tomorrow but last week and the week before they were anywhere from 29-45’. The last day I fished (Wednesday) they did seem to be moving up in the column. Many still deep but more at 29-39’.
(05-23-2022, 12:11 AM)brookie Wrote: I will be out there tomorrow morning as well. I do not know how deep they will be tomorrow but last week and the week before they were anywhere from 29-45’. The last day I fished (Wednesday) they did seem to be moving up in the column. Many still deep but more at 29-39’.

Okay, thanks for the replies!
By the way, we are up here at strawberry right now in camp. Got here about noon. It has been windy all day. Hoping tomorrow morning the wind will lay down. Sure nicer/easier fishing without being blown around.
(05-23-2022, 12:19 AM)brookie Wrote: By the way, we are up here at strawberry right now in camp. Got here about noon. It has been windy all day. Hoping tomorrow morning the wind will lay down. Sure nicer/easier fishing without being blown around.

Yeah, it's blowing pretty hard here in Lehi right now too.  Windfinder forecast for tomorrow shows it should be a pretty typical Strawberry day, starting off with some light wind in the morning and getting up to 12 mph around 3 and then tapering off a little.  High of 50 degrees.  Let's hope for a decent day tomorrow!