Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho Greenhouse pics
Took these pics today, the kids have been picking carrots, cucumbers, yellow squash and Zucchini.

[Image: IdahoGH1.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH2.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH3.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH4.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH5.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH6.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH7.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH8.jpg]

[Image: IdahoGH9.jpg]
Thumbs Up 
Love the greenhouse effect, nice looking veggies.  Shy
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(05-25-2022, 12:53 PM)Bduck Wrote: Love the greenhouse effect, nice looking veggies.  Shy

Thanks, here are some views of it from the outside, the front view, the long view and a look at their beehives.

[Image: front-view-of-GH.jpg]

[Image: long-view-of-GH.jpg]

[Image: beehives.jpg]
Nice, bet it helped out with some of the cold we've had, I know some I work with had some froze crops in their garden's
(05-25-2022, 06:59 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, bet it helped out with some of the cold we've had, I know some I work with had some froze crops in their garden's

They planted the carrots last Nov and some of them are going to seed already. They have a heater in their GH and they have the irrigation hooked up to their well water, so they can grow all year long.
That's cool, considering you might not be able to find some of that at the grocery store.
(05-26-2022, 03:04 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: That's cool, considering you might not be able to find some of that at the grocery store.

Yep, that is why they have it set up like that, lean times could be coming  Sad
Looing great for sure! We only recently got our plants in outside of our GH, but we'll be covering everything outside the GH for the next 3 nights just to be safe. Inside our GH stuff is looking great we'll have to update our garden page soon.
Hey Curt how does that flat of top work with snow load for the winters? That's a wide span for not being too tall... We got the gothic roof profile to hopefully shed snow better, but I'm nervous about the wind loading being taller... Do you know how they anchored it down for wind? I'm sure hoping this doesn't turn into a really big kite when we get it covered... That is amazing to see what a beautiful crop they have grown so early in the year... I'm hoping we can get something to grow in ours... I wasn't planning on heating ours, but it would sure be nice to have early produce.. Thanks for the post... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-08-2022, 03:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Curt how does that flat of top work with snow load for the winters?  That's a wide span for not being too tall... We got the gothic roof profile to hopefully shed snow better, but I'm nervous about the wind loading being taller... Do you know how they anchored it down for wind?  I'm sure hoping this doesn't turn into a really big kite when we get it covered... That is amazing to see what a beautiful crop they have grown so early in the year... I'm hoping we can get something to grow in ours...  I wasn't planning on heating ours, but it would sure be nice to have early produce.. Thanks for the post... Jeff

It's not flat, it might look like it from the angle of the pic but it's curved. It has been up for 4 years how and so far, no problem, they claim the plastic used for a greenhouse will last for 6 to 10 years, depending on the conditions. That height is normal for a GH with a 30 ft width, it's about 8 ft at the peak inside, the difference is how it is set up. Wind will not be an issue as long as it's set up properly, it is very windy up there. I'm the one that set up the entire GH up there, it is anchored on the 4 outer corners by a 50lb bag of post hole concrete. I dug about a three foot deep hole on all four corners, filled them with concrete, then used a line to make sure all the other support arches were level with those first two. All the other arches I just used dirt and old bricks, to hold them in place, until I got the upper supports in place that keeps them from shifting. When I bought this GH, it was set up different and it would have been way more expensive to set up, if I had used that method. The guy I bought the GH from had all the supports above ground, with concrete on each arch and a 4 ft piece of pipe anchored in the concrete, once it set, he simply put each of the arch ends into each pipe, leveled it and installed the plastic. He spent over $1,000 more than I did with the method he used. With the method I used we still have plenty of room to get to the outside edge of the GH, he of course had even more room but it really isn't needed to grow vegetables but he wanted it tall enough to drive a tractor into it. For the first three years this GH did not have a heater, the DIL put one in last Winter so they could grown all year long, just in case things go South, she also hooked it up to well water so they did not have to rely on secondary water.
Thanks Curt, that's pretty cool... My end walls have 4x4 posts buried in concrete, and all the rafters? are driven into the dirt 2', so I hope that will keep it anchored down correctly... Lot of work in head of me, but looking forward to the results... Later Jeff
(06-09-2022, 01:13 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Curt, that's pretty cool... My end walls have 4x4 posts buried in concrete, and all the rafters? are driven into the dirt 2', so I hope that will keep it anchored down correctly... Lot of work in head of me, but looking forward to the results... Later Jeff

As long as you have those upper supports in place, that tie it all together, I'm sure your GH will be fine, sounds very similar to what I did.
They sell a lot of these so I assume they have it figured out. Sure hope so anyway.
(06-10-2022, 02:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: They sell a lot of these so I assume they have it figured out. Sure hope so anyway.
'
Who are the "They", you are referring to above? Is the method you used to install your GH, the same method "They" recommend?
The they are FarmTek, it's a commercial greenhouse and I'm trying to follow their instructions completely so yes it is the method they recommend... It's just hard to keep all of the instructions straight since they cover several different options in the instruction book... But I think I'm doing okay so far... It's not too hard until I get to all the finishing steps... Then I'll have to pay close attention to detail... Hope I can get back onto that soon before it gets too hot... Later J
(06-10-2022, 03:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: The they are FarmTek, it's a commercial greenhouse and I'm trying to follow their instructions completely so yes it is the method they recommend... It's just hard to keep all of the instructions straight since they cover several different options in the instruction book... But I think I'm doing okay so far... It's not too hard until I get to all the finishing steps... Then I'll have to pay close attention to detail... Hope I can get back onto that soon before it gets too hot... Later J

OK. I see. I bought mine from a guy that was growing state record pumpkins in the field that was in the field behind my house, before they decided to build condos back there. 
What do you have left to do beside putting the plastic over the frame? Would be nice to see how it looks, if you don't mind sharing some pics.