Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Questions
[font="Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is probably not the right place to ask this but ive all but at this point I've all but given up on trying to understand the nuances of fishing.

I'm sort of new at fishing.. which is to say thay I've been doing it for about 5 years now but completely unsuccessfully. I've read about 6 fishing books cover to cover, watched every YouTube video I can possibly find, and scoured the internet but there just seems to be very little information on the literal THOUSAND super basic questions I have that seemingly have no answer. I'm really close to just selling or giving away all my gear because it seems to be a waste of time at this point so out of desperation I'm turning to this forum to hopefully provide some basic insight.
[/font]

[font="Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I fish at Port Mansfield and South Padre Island off the piers. Supposedly these locations have some of the best fishing in the world but all I get are those tiny slimy catfish which I don't consider a catch at all. I only fish for food, same as hunting.

Basically all I gather from informational resources is "ask your local bait shop" which I don't have and nobody in South Texas speaks English anyways.

Therefore, I present a few prominent basic questions:
[/font]

[font="Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Why should I care about line test besides obviously the breaking point for larger fish?

Why wouldn't someone just buy the heaviest, strongest line possible?

Do the fish get spooked if they can see the line? Can they even see fishing line?

How would someone know what type of fish they're fishing for (in order to size up prospective equipment needs) without being able to see what's under the water?

Is it basically just a word-of-mouth type activity where you basically need to know someone experienced to have any luck? I would really like to know what's "normal" or useful so that I can buy fishing gear at the store but people just look at me like I have 2 heads anytime i ask a "why" question.

Is there some kind of match up between line, reel, and pole size that I'm supposed to know/be using?

All the information I've gained from books, internet, and youtube are essentially just rehashing of the same non-practical information on specs, locations, and specifics such as gear/bait types.. none of which are any help at all

Any insight into this frustrating sport would be greatly appreciated. 
[/font]