Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple hours
Yea, I see they're pretty spendy, I looked them up just to see what they looked like, I have a body style that looks similar that I painted this year, actually did some wonder bread ones that I'll have to try out. I like tossing a round head jig and plastic worms, chartreuse is my go to color, have caught fish every where I've been with them.
That's what I've always thought the whistler jig was.
(05-12-2023, 01:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 03:23 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Yeah, I had not really used them at all until I bought some on clearance at Cabela's a few years ago.  Tried them for the heck of it one time at Oakley and found it to work better than other rapalas, flicker shads, etc.  Tried to find them in stores... no go.  Found a few on-line and paid a premium for them.  For some reason, that size and that color continue to produce. 

Other tactic that I use at Oakley (and everywhere else) is a whistler jig tipped with crawler or minnow.  Chartreuse or glow have worked everywhere I have used them for walleye, perch, bass and trout. 

Will be there on Saturday to give it a whirl!
I can't remember ever using a whistler jig, so I looked it up, is this what you are talking about?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133908688698?ha...BM5vqDg4Ji

That is the right one... The new ones have eyes that are glued on and they have a tendency to fall off with repeated use.  Casting shallow with a tipped 1/16 = Money!
(05-13-2023, 03:52 AM)psanders71 Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 01:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 03:23 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Yeah, I had not really used them at all until I bought some on clearance at Cabela's a few years ago.  Tried them for the heck of it one time at Oakley and found it to work better than other rapalas, flicker shads, etc.  Tried to find them in stores... no go.  Found a few on-line and paid a premium for them.  For some reason, that size and that color continue to produce. 

Other tactic that I use at Oakley (and everywhere else) is a whistler jig tipped with crawler or minnow.  Chartreuse or glow have worked everywhere I have used them for walleye, perch, bass and trout. 

Will be there on Saturday to give it a whirl!
I can't remember ever using a whistler jig, so I looked it up, is this what you are talking about?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133908688698?ha...BM5vqDg4Ji

That is the right one... The new ones have eyes that are glued on and they have a tendency to fall off with repeated use.  Casting shallow with a tipped 1/16 = Money!
Great, now that I think about it I do have some similar to that but they are called something different and have two of those little prop blades instead of one. I bought them for fishing wipers at Willard but never had any luck with them but I never tried using a crawler. Good luck out there today, hope you find many willing fish.