Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Gold Beach/Rouge River Annual Trip
Now that looks like a lot of fun. Nice!
Last day fishing at GB didn’t disappoint, Don Aka Metal Mouth from BFT got his limit today, I got 2 jacks and had a nice fish break the leader when it charged the motor, Greg had a drive by that didn’t stick. Had a blast love coming out here every year to get a king fix, now 15hrs of driving home tomorrow

[Image: 42671-A1-B-FE04-4-D35-968-D-B5-EB169-DA532.jpg]

[Image: CE324-E65-CCBB-4-E63-82-E0-6799-CF1025-DB.jpg]

[Image: E67457-FE-3789-4-E96-9660-FEB3-A78-C2-CCF.jpg]
Great way to end the trip, good luck on the long drive home. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
(08-17-2022, 12:37 AM)2knots Wrote: Last day fishing at GB didn’t disappoint, Don Aka Metal Mouth from BFT got his limit today, I got 2 jacks and had a nice fish break the leader when it charged the motor, Greg had a drive by that didn’t stick. Had a blast love coming out here every year to get a king fix, now 15hrs of driving home tomorrow

[Image: 42671-A1-B-FE04-4-D35-968-D-B5-EB169-DA532.jpg]

[Image: CE324-E65-CCBB-4-E63-82-E0-6799-CF1025-DB.jpg]

[Image: E67457-FE-3789-4-E96-9660-FEB3-A78-C2-CCF.jpg]

Great time with the best of friends and the fish even cooperated! Hope to fish with you guys again soon Alan and thanks for the great hospitality. Also, thanks for net slapping that seal and saving my fish Brother! LOL
(08-19-2022, 06:58 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 12:37 AM)2knots Wrote: Last day fishing at GB didn’t disappoint, Don Aka Metal Mouth from BFT got his limit today, I got 2 jacks and had a nice fish break the leader when it charged the motor, Greg had a drive by that didn’t stick. Had a blast love coming out here every year to get a king fix, now 15hrs of driving home tomorrow

Great time with the best of friends and the fish even cooperated! Hope to fish with you guys again soon Alan and thanks for the great hospitality. Also, thanks for net slapping that seal and saving my fish Brother! LOL

Looks like you had a good day there Don, congrats. It's always great when a plan comes together like that. What is this seal slapping incident all about, is it common there that they try and steal your fish? If so, how aggressive do they get?
(08-19-2022, 09:03 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 06:58 AM)MMDon Wrote:

Looks like you had a good day there Don, congrats. It's always great when a plan comes together like that. What is this seal slapping incident all about, is it common there that they try and steal your fish? If so, how aggressive do they get?

The Sea Lions and Seals are so aggressive the state has a boat that drives around with underwater bombs and shotguns loaded with rubber pellets for them. He tries  to assist every boat that hooks up! This war goes on everyday the Salmon are running trying to drive them out of the freshwater and save Salmon!
Many long years ago I worked on party boats out of southern California.  In those days the sea lions were not considered the darlings that the environmentalists have gotten them to be today.  No protection.  When one or more showed up to chow down on fish hooked by the anglers we gave them a dose of "lead poisoning".  I kept an old pistol strapped on and I got pretty good at doing a quick draw eradication from the fantail whenever a smart alec sea lion poked it's head up...sometimes still holding the fish it had just removed from someone's line. 

I have seen first hand the tremendous toll these beasts take on salmon and steelhead once they start running up rivers and get bottled up below a dam.  Each sea lion can kill many fish each day...and they don't always eat what they kill.  You can see them just tossing the mortally wounded fish around and then they go after others.  Darlings indeed.
(08-19-2022, 10:43 PM)MMDon Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 09:03 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like you had a good day there Don, congrats. It's always great when a plan comes together like that. What is this seal slapping incident all about, is it common there that they try and steal your fish? If so, how aggressive do they get?

The Sea Lions and Seals are so aggressive the state has a boat that drives around with underwater bombs and shotguns loaded with rubber pellets for them. He tries  to assist every boat that hooks up! This war goes on everyday the Salmon are running trying to drive them out of the freshwater and save Salmon!

I'm with Pat, forget the rubber bullets, use the lead ones.