Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tree Trimming
Every year as my trees get larger the branches expand outward getting heavy, thicker, & sagging. I have to trim branches away from the main trunk which requires a juggling act on a ladder. Using a bow saw is the safest but even the thicker branches get quite hairy upon a ladder. Then there's the gas power chainsaw that requires 2 hands running a higher risk of cutting off the wrong branch from the wrong trunk.  Sad Now I'm looking into getting an extending tree trimming pole but not sure if I want electric which could be the way to go or a battery pk style. I'm eliminating the sawing back & forth motion as my shoulders would have a hard time after years of work. I'm looking for recommendations, thoughts to get an idea of what to use from those who have used extending pole trimmers.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Well Roger, it just so happens that 5 or 6 years back I had this same issue. I did not want to buy an expensive electric pole saw so I bought one from Harbor freight for around $90 at the time. I can give you a link to the one I bought, if you are interested. Anyway, I ended up using that pole saw to cut down three trees. A 30 ft locust tree, a 20 ft locust tree and a 20 ft cherry tree. For a small pole saw it worked very well. All you need is an extension cord are chain saw oil. Roger, if you are interested, I will gladly let you borrow mine, to see if you like it. I think it extends from 8 ft to 18 ft.
Thanks Curt, I usually make my own purchases on equipment since there will be on going usage. Also thinking that electric will be the way to go. Battery will need & maintain a charge which may not last as long, replacement can be costly. Eventually winding down from some gas power products and in this case if gas sits in carb could end up shellacking from not enough usage in between. I will check out HF. 
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-09-2022, 09:59 AM)Bduck Wrote: Thanks Curt, I usually make my own purchases on equipment since there will be on going usage. Also thinking that electric will be the way to go. Battery will need & maintain a charge which may not last as long, replacement can be costly. Eventually winding down from some gas power products and in this case if gas sits in carb could end up shellacking from not enough usage in between. I will check out HF. 

I think this is the one I bought:
https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garde...56808.html

Here are three models:
https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garde...-saws.html
Thanks again Curt, I already looked them from your recommendation. 
Harrisville UT
Finally broke down purchasing a Harbor Freight electric telescopic tree trimmer. A video review indicated it came with a good quality cutting chain by Oregon. I use this brand of chain on my gas power saws which has held up thru many years of cutting. The tree trimmer made quick work of some of the limbs needed removed, no ladder.

[Image: Tree-Trimming-2.jpg]
[Image: Tree-Trimming-1.jpg]
Thanks Curt for the recommendation

Harrisville UT
No problem Roger, as I said, it has been a great electic chain saw for me, I was very impressed by the size and the number of trees it cut down for me. Well worth the money spent on it.