Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Delight 8-16-22
LINK TO VIDEO

I’ve been making some new whirly fligs…floating jigs with small propeller blades on the front.  Downsizing and making new shapes.  Wanted to give them a good introduction to fishkind and figured Deer Creek would be the best venue…multiple species…all of which have voted for other models of the whirlies.  Also figured that with school starting the power squadron would be thinned out a bit.  Good decision all around.

Launched at the island boat ramp about 7 am…along with several fishing boats.  Air temp a lovely 52 at launch…warming to 79 by noon departure.  Water temps 71…warming to 73 by noon.  Although I found just under 70 degrees up closer to the Provo River inlet…where all the trout tanglers were clustered up through the morning.  Also observed that in the lowering water levels the ramp is getting more problematic.  Those launching boats had to back their vehicles a ways out into the water to find enough depth to float their boats.
[Image: LAUNCH.jpg]

I learned a lesson a long time ago…while fishing competitively for bass…that the best way to learn a new lure or system was to go out with only that lure or system and to work it until you had it down “Pat”.  So, I only brought an assortment of all four models of whirly fligs…and some worms.  The whirlies had to produce…and they did.
 [Image: WHIRLY-DESIGNS.jpg]

I kept changing up whirlies and rigs to try to find the best combo.  Turns out I caught 5 species and most on different whirlies and different rigs.  I caught 4 rainbows, several perch, a few smallmouth and a couple of “seegar” walleyes.  Also caught 1 small green sunfish.
[Image: TROUT-4.jpg] [Image: PERCH-1.jpg] [Image: SMALLIE-2.jpg] [Image: TROUT-3.jpg]

In talking to a few of the boaters I learned that none of them had been catching any walleyes of any size.  Lots of dinks but no teens or twenties.  That bodes well for future fishing for walleyes, but I hope the bigger ones show up for the fall fling.

My hope for a quieter day on the water was realized.  There were only a very few skiers and one wakeboarder all morning.  In fact, as I was beginning to head back toward the ramp…while up in the flats north of the island…I took a picture of a flat calm Deer Creek with absolutely no power squadron within view or earshot.  Delightful.
[Image: NOON-CALM.jpg]

What wasn’t delightful was the hike back up the ramp after beaching my float tube.  Us old guys really should avoid that kind of excursion.  As I huffed and puffed up that long ramp I had visions of a life flight helicopter landing there to pick up my unconscious body.  But I made it okay.  It has gotten worse since they opened that restaurant and have all of the close in parking reserved either for boats with trailers or restaurant customers.  Without a trailer I had to park a long ways to the north.   Used to be able to park anywhere at the top of the ramp with an open spot.
[Image: LONG-RAMP.jpg]   [Image: DINNER-GUESTS.jpg]

(08-17-2022, 02:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote: LINK TO VIDEO

I’ve been making some new whirly fligs…floating jigs with small propeller blades on the front.  Downsizing and making new shapes.  Wanted to give them a good introduction to fishkind and figured Deer Creek would be the best venue…multiple species…all of which have voted for other models of the whirlies.  Also figured that with school starting the power squadron would be thinned out a bit.  Good decision all around.

Launched at the island boat ramp about 7 am…along with several fishing boats.  Air temp a lovely 52 at launch…warming to 79 by noon departure.  Water temps 71…warming to 73 by noon.  Although I found just under 70 degrees up closer to the Provo River inlet…where all the trout tanglers were clustered up through the morning.  Also observed that in the lowering water levels the ramp is getting more problematic.  Those launching boats had to back their vehicles a ways out into the water to find enough depth to float their boats.

I learned a lesson a long time ago…while fishing competitively for bass…that the best way to learn a new lure or system was to go out with only that lure or system and to work it until you had it down “Pat”.  So, I only brought an assortment of all four models of whirly fligs…and some worms.  The whirlies had to produce…and they did.

I kept changing up whirlies and rigs to try to find the best combo.  Turns out I caught 5 species and most on different whirlies and different rigs.  I caught 4 rainbows, several perch, a few smallmouth and a couple of “seegar” walleyes.  Also caught 1 small green sunfish.
[Image: TROUT-4.jpg] [Image: PERCH-1.jpg] [Image: SMALLIE-2.jpg] [Image: TROUT-3.jpg]

In talking to a few of the boaters I learned that none of them had been catching any walleyes of any size.  Lots of dinks but no teens or twenties.  That bodes well for future fishing for walleyes, but I hope the bigger ones show up for the fall fling.

My hope for a quieter day on the water was realized.  There were only a very few skiers and one wakeboarder all morning.  In fact, as I was beginning to head back toward the ramp…while up in the flats north of the island…I took a picture of a flat calm Deer Creek with absolutely no power squadron within view or earshot.  Delightful.

What wasn’t delightful was the hike back up the ramp after beaching my float tube.  Us old guys really should avoid that kind of excursion.  As I huffed and puffed up that long ramp I had visions of a life flight helicopter landing there to pick up my unconscious body.  But I made it okay.  It has gotten worse since they opened that restaurant and have all of the close in parking reserved either for boats with trailers or restaurant customers.  Without a trailer I had to park a long ways to the north.   Used to be able to park anywhere at the top of the ramp with an open spot.

Thanks Pat, I’ve been looking forward to this report!
(08-17-2022, 02:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote: LINK TO VIDEO

Great video. Those mini and micro whirly fligs look very exciting. Love to try them
(08-17-2022, 09:04 PM)MrShane Wrote: Thanks Pat, I’ve been looking forward to this report!
If you head up there, I found most fishy marks (and hits) in about 15 -16 fow.  But coming back in I also saw some fishy presence in 27 to 30 fow.  No way of telling the species.  But I was pretty well able to identify small schools of perch about halfway up between the island and the inlet...in the 15 foot zone. 

I was watching the other boats that looked like they might be hunting wallies.  I did not see any nets dipping into the water.  And the ones I talked to all said the same...nuttin' but dinks.  Not like last year. 

Thinking of washing some of my new trinkets in Rockport next week.  Got some nice perch there last year in the extremely low water.  It's a bit higher this year so I might have to hunt harder.
(08-17-2022, 10:09 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 09:04 PM)MrShane Wrote: Thanks Pat, I’ve been looking forward to this report!
If you head up there, I found most fishy marks (and hits) in about 15 -16 fow.  But coming back in I also saw some fishy presence in 27 to 30 fow.  No way of telling the species.  But I was pretty well able to identify small schools of perch about halfway up between the island and the inlet...in the 15 foot zone. 

I was watching the other boats that looked like they might be hunting wallies.  I did not see any nets dipping into the water.  And the ones I talked to all said the same...nuttin' but dinks.  Not like last year. 

Thinking of washing some of my new trinkets in Rockport next week.  Got some nice perch there last year in the extremely low water.  It's a bit higher this year so I might have to hunt harder.
Since the ‘X’ you put on the water for me ended up in UL somewhere, how about I just put you in my boat and you show me where you painted it?
Maybe in 3 or 4 weeks when the mercury drops a few notches.
(08-18-2022, 02:59 AM)MrShane Wrote: [quote pid="1136569" dateline="1660774157"]
Since the ‘X’ you put on the water for me ended up in UL somewhere, how about I just put you in my boat and you show me where you painted it?
Maybe in 3 or 4 weeks when the mercury drops a few notches.
[/quote]

Silly you.  I would never try putting an X on the water.  I put it on the side of my float tube so I can find it easier.  Would love to join you in your boat again.  It's been a long time since Starvy.  And unless conditions change at Deer Creek, Starvy might be a better bet.  If we both take out a second mortgage we should be able to afford the gas.