Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Surprise Species Sighting
Was doing a little carp on the fly and catfishing with shrimp and aforementioned carp at Lincoln Beach on Monday morning. Ended up with a few catfish and a carp, low water is making getting into the fish from shore really challenging but it's still fun. Saw something that surprised us though, a dead 16" rainbow trout near the second spring. Not sure if it died from natural causes or hook related mortality. Regardless, I was very surprised to see one there. Anyone ever caught trout in that area of the lake? Did it come down a tributary? Possibly due to flooding? Curious about thoughts on this, what do you guys think?

[Image: Envenomation09.jpg]
(08-18-2022, 04:41 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Was doing a little carp on the fly and catfishing with shrimp and aforementioned carp at Lincoln Beach on Monday morning. Ended up with a few catfish and a carp, low water is making getting into the fish from shore really challenging but it's still fun. Saw something that surprised us though, a dead 16" rainbow trout near the second spring. Not sure if it died from natural causes or hook related mortality. Regardless, I was very surprised to see one there. Anyone ever caught trout in that area of the lake? Did it come down a tributary? Possibly due to flooding? Curious about thoughts on this, what do you guys think?

I used to catch some real nice bows by anchoring right where clean water met stained water in mouth of Provo.
I have fished Utah Lake since the 1960s.  And I have either caught or witnessed a lot of trout caught from that lake.  I have seen mostly rainbows but a few browns...and even heard of one cutt being caught there.  They enter the lake from several tributaries...mostly in the winter or early spring.  A high percentage of trout caught from Utah Lake are caught by ice fishing...somewhere near the inlet of one of the trout holding tributaries.  But any that are not caught by mid summer usually die off from heat stress.  I suspect that was the cause of the dead trout you saw.
Back in the late 50s, I watched my uncle catch a rainbow at Lincoln Beach.
That bow looks like it was gutted by a knife. Someone may have lost it from a stringer or basket upstream somewhere....
(08-18-2022, 04:41 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Was doing a little carp on the fly and catfishing with shrimp and aforementioned carp at Lincoln Beach on Monday morning. Ended up with a few catfish and a carp, low water is making getting into the fish from shore really challenging but it's still fun. Saw something that surprised us though, a dead 16" rainbow trout near the second spring. Not sure if it died from natural causes or hook related mortality. Regardless, I was very surprised to see one there. Anyone ever caught trout in that area of the lake? Did it come down a tributary? Possibly due to flooding? Curious about thoughts on this, what do you guys think?

FYI: We are not allowed to use the method you used for attaching that pic, so I fixed it for you. Please, in the future use the method at this link:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1101135

Thanks