Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
East Canyon?
Anybody doing any good (or bad) trolling at East Canyon lately? Rockport was a bust for me (us) my last 2 times there, so thought I might wet a line at E.C. this week...End of Summer doldrums for some of us? Solunar fishing charts did say "POOR" for both my last 2 outings, and they were worse than that! ... so maybe we'll try E.C. on Wed., as charts say it should be a "GOOD" day...we'll see...
If you're trolling for trout, the water is warm - they're moody and deep. Try throwing plastics, spinners or cranks around points and rocky shorelines. Plenty of smallmouth bass at both RP and EC. Most are smallish, but still lots of fun.
Still too much activity there for me, awaiting fall to fall to hit EC. I prefer cool weather at these lower elevation lakes. Soon the lice will be in hibernation.  
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Well, I know there may be 1 or 2 of you out there sitting on the edge of your chair just waiting for this East Canyon report... Big Grin We did go...just 2 boats launching early when we got there, and water was pretty rough..the East Arm was protected early, so that's where we headed...Just before clipping my line to D.R. ball, I had a hit while still holding the line, but no hook up...I was optimistic...finally about a half hour later my buddy gets a hit on his D.R. at 28', and I netted a nice 16"er for him...and about 0800 close to the same area I finally got hit, 29', pink/silver flash squid..,and he nets a good 16"er for me...then slow...way slow..so we headed toward the dam..my buddy picked up 1 more, little smaller 'bow, just approaching the face of the dam off his planer set, about 17' down...we were here when the "Best Bite" was supposed to be happening, but it never happened...3 real bites is what we had, 3 rainbows netted....No skunk, but certainly not a "Best Fishing Times" morning for us...However...boat worked great, motors good, wind settled down, only a few "water lice" (I liked that from BDuck) churning up the surface...so it was a good A.M. on the water...and with catch rates down at some of our reservoirs, maybe lower expectations are in order...or maybe just a lot cooler weather...time to clean the dekes and bike the dikes...
I'm considering EC for next week, but I'll be targeting smallies. My big question is how far down that ramp is the water? The climb back when it's hot might be brutal for us old guys.
(08-25-2022, 12:47 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Well, I know there may be 1 or 2 of you out there sitting on the edge of your chair just waiting for this East Canyon report... Big Grin We did go...just 2 boats launching early when we got there, and water was pretty rough..the East Arm was protected early, so that's where we headed...Just before clipping my line to D.R. ball, I had a hit while still holding the line, but no hook up...I was optimistic...finally about a half hour later my buddy gets a hit on his D.R. at 28', and I netted a nice 16"er for him...and about 0800 close to the same area I finally got hit, 29', pink/silver flash squid..,and he nets a good 16"er for me...then slow...way slow..so we headed toward the dam..my buddy picked up 1 more, little smaller 'bow, just approaching the face of the dam off his planer set, about 17' down...we were here when the "Best Bite" was supposed to be happening, but it never happened...3 real bites is what we had, 3 rainbows netted....No skunk, but certainly not a "Best Fishing Times" morning for us...However...boat worked great, motors good, wind settled down, only a few "water lice" (I liked that from BDuck) churning up the surface...so it was a good A.M. on the water...and with catch rates down at some of our reservoirs, maybe lower expectations are in order...or maybe just a lot cooler weather...time to clean the dekes and bike the dikes...

Glad you were able to get out there Joe and the water lice wern't too bad, bummer no kokes were caught but good to see you got a few bows.
Lake lice is a term that has been around for years used by fishermen referring to skiers, jet skis, & power squadrons towing different water sports equipment. With hunting season looming and end of summer Labor Day weekend the crowds will start thinning down. Don't forget the kids are back in school now.
EC will be opening up with some good fishing, fall weather soon as temps start dropping. Has anyone caught any kokanee there this year?
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Guess I never heard that term before, but I like it...I did try 35, 45' down occasionally, to no avail...only 3 or 4 times the whole morning did I see any marks 40 to 50' down....I've certainly never caught a koke at E.C., and don't know of any success there this year...if I do, I'm pretty sure it will be by accident...It is a long way down the ramp to hit water...and too narrow to drive all the way down, do your normal U turn, then back the boat in...I thought there'd be room off the ramp (near the bottom) but I wasn't willing to fight those rocks trying to make that turn...So...I had to back up all the way, (back up the ramp), and then turn around and do the backing down from the top of the ramp to the water...I'm ok at backing my boat, but this is a long way down ... and up...Guluk...
(08-25-2022, 06:46 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Guess I never heard that term before, but I like it...I did try 35, 45' down occasionally, to no avail...only 3 or 4 times the whole morning did I see any marks 40 to 50' down....I've certainly never caught a koke at E.C., and don't know of any success there this year...if I do, I'm pretty sure it will be by accident...It is a long way down the ramp to hit water...and too narrow to drive all the way down, do your normal U turn, then back the boat in...I thought there'd be room off the ramp (near the bottom) but I wasn't willing to fight those rocks trying to make that turn...So...I had to back up all the way, (back up the ramp), and then turn around and do the backing down from the top of the ramp to the water...I'm ok at backing my boat, but this is a long way down ... and up...Guluk...

I would think if it's that low, then that little off shoot of the ramp, that's like a "T", should be out of the water. If that is the case, you should be able to just back your trailer into that area and pull out.
Thanks, JMor. I think I'll skip EC and go to Hyrum instead. I sure wish they'd get Echo open again soon.

I will also say that if you can back a boat UPHILL for all that way, you are one helluva skilled driver.
(08-25-2022, 07:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 06:46 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Guess I never heard that term before, but I like it...I did try 35, 45' down occasionally, to no avail...only 3 or 4 times the whole morning did I see any marks 40 to 50' down....I've certainly never caught a koke at E.C., and don't know of any success there this year...if I do, I'm pretty sure it will be by accident...It is a long way down the ramp to hit water...and too narrow to drive all the way down, do your normal U turn, then back the boat in...I thought there'd be room off the ramp (near the bottom) but I wasn't willing to fight those rocks trying to make that turn...So...I had to back up all the way, (back up the ramp), and then turn around and do the backing down from the top of the ramp to the water...I'm ok at backing my boat, but this is a long way down ... and up...Guluk...

I would think if it's that low, then that little off shoot of the ramp, that's like a "T", should be out of the water. If that is the case, you should be able to just back your trailer into that area and pull out.
Yesterday that "T" was just barely out of water, and no way for me to try using it to back into..didn't see anyone else try either...Yeah, Rocky, I was lucky no one else was trying to back down at the same time I was backing up...that could have been interesting...(Who's got the right of way, boat going uphill, or boat going downhill Huh ...