Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay ... quiet day
I haven't  been fishing anywhere since 16 July   Angry .  Finally got the boat back on the water today.  Thanks again for the info Rocky. 
Based on good intel from Rocky, went to the north marina.  Beautiful morning, very light breeze, high clouds, blue sky .
Air temp on arrival 70 deg. Water temp outside the marina 74 deg.  
Water level at the bottom of the ramp (center) with boat still on trailer 2.0 ft.  Just a couple yards off the trailer, 3.5 - 3.7 fow.  Just off the end of the dock 4.0 fow.  Heading out channel (stay in the center) 4.0 to 5.5 fow. Once well past the buoys 7.9-8.5 fow.  
Unless you are in a very shallow draft vessel like a yak, canoe, tube, etc. don't  turn left or right until you start marking a steady 7-8 fow.  I didn't do a real detailed depth check, but the areas I fished never got more than 8.5 fow.  
There was one other boat launched same time I did, but once they left the marina I didn't see them again for a few hours. I could see a few boats waaaay down at the south end, but never got close. Pretty much had the water all to myself  Cool .

[Image: 042-23-Aug-2022.jpg]         [Image: 043.jpg]

Very nice breeze was mostly out of the north, so I set out my bait lines broadside to the wind and drifted just about down the middle of the lake from straight out from north marina for about 3/4 the length .  

Not on the water even an hour and first Kitty hit and headed north at high speed.   Quick net, boat, unhook, and photo pose, then released.   Several pop and drops, a few bait strippers, and just as the breeze was shifting to come out of the south, Kitty #2 hitch a ride long enough for a quick photo. Big daddy Cat had an aggressive attitude, ran about half the line off the reel.  Getting him netted and in the boat was just plain dumb luck. The hook was just through one of his whiskers.  

About 1130 the breeze just about died out, and the bugs became more irritation than the fishing was worth. Called it a day and was glad to get back out.  

Water temp was just bumping 80 deg and air temp was 82 on departure from marina lot. 

[Image: 044.jpg]        [Image: 045.jpg]       [Image: 046.jpg]

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I'm glad my eyeball estimates were close, my friend.
Good to hear you were finally able to get back out on the water Forest and had success with a few kitties. Guess you never drove down to the South marina for a look see?
Thanks for helping us out. Nice details, still a little hot water. The other boats must have used the south marina?? Must have been looking for deeper water.
Great report Forest thanks for the update on the pond... We drove past the bay the other day and only seen a couple boats on it, so I assumed it must be getting tough to launch... Thanks for the update... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-23-2022, 11:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to hear you were finally able to get back out on the water Forest and had success with a few kitties. Guess you never drove down to the South marina for a look see?

Curt, no I didn't do a drive by at south marina. But after seeing boats down that way yesterday, I might give south end a try tomorrow.

Rocky,  yes sir. Those old pilots eyes of yours are still pretty sharp.  

Forgot to include this yesterday:  For those that may not use the north launch very often, when you come off your trailer, don't try to go back too far before heading towards dock or channel. There is a "mud mound" just off to the east and about 10 yards off the end of ramp.  Right now it isn't visible through the water surface, but I would bet it isn't more  than 2 feet under water, maybe less.  Keep your motors and outdrives trimmed up, don't come off your trailers too fast, keep one eye on your sonar.  
I have pulled at least 3 boaters off of that "hump" in low water years. 

Cool
(08-24-2022, 03:25 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(08-23-2022, 11:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to hear you were finally able to get back out on the water Forest and had success with a few kitties. Guess you never drove down to the South marina for a look see?

Curt, no I didn't do a drive by at south marina. But after seeing boats down that way yesterday, I might give south end a try tomorrow.

Forgot to include this yesterday:  For those that may not use the north launch very often, when you come off your trailer, don't try to go back too far before heading towards dock or channel. There is a "mud mound" just off to the east and about 10 yards off the end of ramp.  Right now it isn't visible through the water surface, but I would bet it isn't more  than 2 feet under water, maybe less.  Keep your motors and outdrives trimmed up, don't come off your trailers too fast, keep one eye on your sonar.  
Here are a couple of pics of those underwater humps/hazards when the water gets even lower.
[Image: WILLARD-NO-RAMP.jpg]   [Image: 2.jpg]
(08-24-2022, 06:00 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 03:25 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

Here are a couple of pics of those underwater humps/hazards when the water gets even lower.
[Image: WILLARD-NO-RAMP.jpg]   [Image: 2.jpg]

Yep, that's them  Huh   Angry  

Cool