Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard beautiful day...again
Yesterday got back out on WB from north marina.  All the water level reports from my trip Tuesday were the same. 
Was planning to at least drive into the south marina, but the turn off over the canal at Smith & Edwards was blocked by road construction, so went on past. 

Launched at 0715 a.m.  Had one Supra ski boat launch shortly after me.  But once out on the water that boat stayed mostly out along the west wall.  Basically had the whole bay to myself all morning. 

[Image: 047-25-Aug-2022.jpg]

Set up out in middle of the bay with a very light breeze from the north-west. Drifted almost all the way to the feed lot area before the wind dropped  to almost  dead calm, then shifted around to out of the south-east.  

Changed out baited lines to various lures and long line trolled at varied speeds in large lazy S turns for about an hour.  No joy for anything but Cats.  
Catching wasn't super fast, but was steady enough to keep it interesting.  Caught and released 6 Cats and called it a day about noon when I used last of the bait.  

[Image: 048.jpg]    [Image: 049.jpg]   [Image: 050.jpg]   [Image: 051.jpg]   [Image: 052.jpg]  [Image: 053.jpg]

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Much better catching on this trip Forest, would you say on average the cats on this trip were smaller than average? Hard to tell the length from your pics. 
FYI: we rarely take the road by Smith and Edwards when we go to the South marina, we follow the road on Hwy 89 and turn off at that first gas station on the West side of the road, it has much less traffic. Since they started developing that area that goes by S & E, there is just too much traffic on that road.
(08-26-2022, 05:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Much better catching on this trip Forest, would you say on average the cats on this trip were smaller than average? Hard to tell the length from your pics. 
FYI: we rarely take the road by Smith and Edwards when we go to the South marina, we follow the road on Hwy 89 and turn off at that first gas station on the West side of the road, it has much less traffic. Since they started developing that area that goes by S & E, there is just too much traffic on that road.

Cats yesterday were about average but a bit smaller than last trip. Didn't weigh or measure but would guess about 20" long and about 2 lbs. Would have been good for cleaning and fish tacos.  Wink .  Just didn't feel like cleaning yesterday. 

Since I come up that road past S & E from Clearfield, I always turn there.  I don't ever have alot of traffic thru there at that time in the morning and I can check the water level in the canal when I cross.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(08-26-2022, 06:54 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 05:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Much better catching on this trip Forest, would you say on average the cats on this trip were smaller than average? Hard to tell the length from your pics. 

Cats yesterday were about average but a bit smaller than last trip. Didn't weigh or measure but would guess about 20" long and about 2 lbs. Would have been good for cleaning and fish tacos.  Wink .  Just didn't feel like cleaning yesterday. 

Since I come up that road past S & E from Clearfield, I always turn there.  I don't ever have alot of traffic thru there at that time in the morning and I can check the water level in the canal when I cross.

You can check the water level in the channel by going the other way too, matter of a fact you have to drive right over the canal when you go the other way. You are right about the morning traffic but coming back in the afternoon there is always traffic and at times it can be bad. I'm surprised you don't get on the freeway if you are driving all the way from Clearfield, lots of traffic lights going the way you go. We have checked the time going each way, it is 1/10 of a mile farther getting off the freeway and going on Hwy 89 to that gas station but time wise it takes the same amount of time. For sure not telling you what is the best way for you, I'm just saying that works out best for us.