Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sadness looms in the Johnson home
Yesterday, Saturday 27. Violet and I Launched from ULSP after a month of no fishing. We ventured south doing our best to avoid the shallow spots caused by low water levels.  The water was 71* and pretty dirty and choppy.

We launched at about 0730. I saw that Pisco had launched before we got there. After dragging some bait behind some bling for awhile I spotted Jim's boat on the east side. Hoping he was not stuck in the mud, I searched his phone number then learned he and crew was OK. Before I could hang up Vi had hooked into a nice Cat, I said good by and landed her 30" fatty.

The search continued, catching a few eaters (those below 25") and others that ranged 26-28.5. But then Violet hooked her contest bumper. We netted, boated and  measured her 31.5"er. The Cat lay motionless on the bump board, my hand hovered slightly over the fish while Vi reached for the camera and placard, just as she turned back the fish made one surge and over the back of the boat and into the water. I don't know who was most surprised and disappointed, Violet or me. I'm pretty sure the fish wasn't. Then I began to wonder if our happy marriage was over. (I should have had two hands on the fish.) Vi assured me that she still loves me and that could have happened to anyone.

We passed Jim on our way back in but didn't stop to talk as the tears were still in our eyes. I guess we could have told him the tears were due to the sun and wind. Oh well!

rj
Richard and Vi, I'm so sorry. I've had the fear that that might happen to me or that I might go on automatic pilot and throw a fish back before photographing it. I'm struggling right now to catch many fish or any bumpers. Do you mind if I ask what bait you were using?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(08-28-2022, 06:40 PM)catchinon Wrote: Richard and Vi, I'm so sorry. I've had the fear that that might happen to me or that I might go on automatic pilot and throw a fish back before photographing it. I'm struggling right now to catch many fish or any bumpers. Do you mind if I ask what bait you were using?

white bass if ya got em.  I think I would go to Carp next.
Aah man, that one hurt when I read it. Gotta feel for both of ya but especially for Vi. You made a great catch when you caught that lady. She can and does do better on the bigguns than most of us. That fish will be back and the next time she hooks him he will push Vi farther up the score board. A PB for Vi? Would sure like to have seen a picture of that one.

I haven't been out for the last couple of weeks but hoping to get out again soon.

Tight lines... and tight hold on fish.

BLK/Lynn
Richard, that title really had me worried, glad it was only the biggest fish of the season that was lost and not something far worse... Glad you guys are still on the monsters... You two sure have the touch, congrats and condolences and by the way you guys know you got the big one, so that's the important part, I'd give you credit if I could on the contest... That would have put Vi at 92 in first place.... (Now not to sew contention, but that fish would have put Vi ahead of you by a point.. But I'm sure you didn't throw it back in while she was getting the camera...) Sorry guys, but congrats you still had the fun... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Richard, that post title gave my heart a bit of a jump yesterday.  Then after reading the whole thing, I had to chuckle.  Then I thought, Jeez, I hope Vi didn't push him out of the boat, or make him walk home, or maybe both.  Undecided  Big Grin .
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(08-29-2022, 07:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Richard, that title really had me worried, glad it was only the biggest fish of the season that was lost and not something far worse... Glad you guys are still on the monsters... You two sure have the touch, congrats and condolences and by the way you guys know you got the big one, so that's the important part, I'd give you credit if I could on the contest... That would have put Vi at 92 in first place....  (Now not to sew contention, but that fish would have put Vi ahead of you by a point.. But I'm sure you didn't throw it back in while she was getting the camera...)  Sorry guys, but congrats you still had the fun... Later Jeff

she made it quite clear that it would have put her a full point ahead of me. She also reminded me, all the way home, that it was just a fish and I should not let it bother me.

(08-29-2022, 08:14 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Richard, that post title gave my heart a bit of a jump yesterday.  Then after reading the whole thing, I had to chuckle.  Then I thought, Jeez, I hope Vi didn't push him out of the boat, or make him walk home, or maybe both.  Undecided  Big Grin .

Violet is is very understanding. I think the reason she didn't push me out of the boat is that she needs me to back the trailer so she can load the boat. I have offered several times for her to back the trailer but she has a hard time seeing it. She does the rest though.
Glad there weren't any suspicions and I'm sure you guys will add more that size before the contest is complete... Seems like you find them every trip unlike the rest of us that it's a one time thing... if it ever happens... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the report and for the phone call. We should compare notes more often while were on the water. I too was a bit worried when I saw your title. Good one though, you got several of us Smile 

Again, you did better on the big ones than we did, but I'm bummed about Violet's bumper! Keep at it, this is prime time for those!
(08-30-2022, 02:33 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Hi Richard,

Thanks for the report and for the phone call. We should compare notes more often while were on the water. I too was a bit worried when I saw your title. Good one though, you got several of us Smile 

Again, you did better on the big ones than we did, but I'm bummed about Violet's bumper! Keep at it, this is prime time for those!
Sounds good, you have our number.

I should be more selective on my choice of words.

rj
Dam, that hurts, reminds me of when I was a kid and we were killing the fish trolling, a old couple camped by us was struggling, so my grandfather gave them some of what we were using, a day later talking with the guy, they'd caught a nice fish and in the process of putting it in a bag it wiggled out of the old boys hand and back into the lake to be caught again.