Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solid, but different morning at Utah Lake, 8 27 2022
Jon and I did it again, well almost! Launched from Provo at 6 A.M. and went south. Winds were 5-10 out of the SE for the first few hours. Water started out surprisingly low at 68 degrees and ended up surprisingly high at 78 by about 3 P.M. when we left to get Jon to a Football Game. 

We did get to see Richard and Violet from a distance and even got a call from Richard. We weren't stuck on a sandbar, just stuck on a little group of fish. Thanks for checking though!

[Image: Wind-took-a-rough-Turn-early.jpg]

In many ways the trip was a lot like last week. The water visibility was near zero and we found fish in small widely scattered groups. They were good quality, averaging 27.5 inches or just over 8 pounds. Jon caught the biggest 2 fish (29.75 and 29.5). For the second trip in a row we averaged at or below 2 cats/hour. History says in these water temps we should be at 4-6 cats/hour.

[Image: Jon-s-best-today.jpg]

I many other ways the trip was very different. We fished the very same set-ups as last week and caught zero white bass as opposed to 5 last week. That meant we had no “really fresh” bait, only thawed specimens from previous trips. We had many more tentative inquires. We hooked less than half the fish that hit. Most that didn’t hook up would stop the bait and hold on long enough for the rod to start to load and then just when you would expect them to feel the hook they seemingly just let go. The last big difference was no fish 30 inches or longer.

My best guess on the less aggressive strikes is that they weren’t as turned on by the smell of the bait, no fresh blood. I suspect also that some of the fish that didn’t “stick” were the bigger ones. I think part of the slower overall bite can also be attributed to the dramatically reduced visibility and maybe the lack of submerged structure to hold the groceries and concentrate the fish.

We ended up with 17 cats total and no other types of fish. We saw a lot of carp cruising the surface, but not until after the wind calmed down around 9 or so. We enjoyed a good morning, but we stayed too long hoping to find at least one 30.

[Image: Calm-later.jpg]

I am going to work harder to find some kind of really fresh bait for next time and to quit at 4-6 hours to get less fried brain syndrome!
(08-30-2022, 02:43 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Jon and I did it again, well almost! Launched from Provo at 6 A.M. and went south. Winds were 5-10 out of the SE for the first few hours. Water started out surprisingly low at 68 degrees and ended up surprisingly high at 78 by about 3 P.M. when we left to get Jon to a Football Game. 

We did get to see Richard and Violet from a distance and even got a call from Richard. We weren't stuck on a sandbar, just stuck on a little group of fish. Thanks for checking though!

In many ways the trip was a lot like last week. The water visibility was near zero and we found fish in small widely scattered groups. They were good quality, averaging 27.5 inches or just over 8 pounds. Jon caught the biggest 2 fish (29.75 and 29.5). For the second trip in a row we averaged at or below 2 cats/hour. History says in these water temps we should be at 4-6 cats/hour.

I many other ways the trip was very different. We fished the very same set-ups as last week and caught zero white bass as opposed to 5 last week. That meant we had no “really fresh” bait, only thawed specimens from previous trips. We had many more tentative inquires. We hooked less than half the fish that hit. Most that didn’t hook up would stop the bait and hold on long enough for the rod to start to load and then just when you would expect them to feel the hook they seemingly just let go. The last big difference was no fish 30 inches or longer.

My best guess on the less aggressive strikes is that they weren’t as turned on by the smell of the bait, no fresh blood. I suspect also that some of the fish that didn’t “stick” were the bigger ones. I think part of the slower overall bite can also be attributed to the dramatically reduced visibility and maybe the lack of submerged structure to hold the groceries and concentrate the fish.

We ended up with 17 cats total and no other types of fish. We saw a lot of carp cruising the surface, but not until after the wind calmed down around 9 or so. We enjoyed a good morning, but we stayed too long hoping to find at least one 30.

I am going to work harder to find some kind of really fresh bait for next time and to quit at 4-6 hours to get less fried brain syndrome!

Nice report Jim...as always you have story teller way that makes it seem like we are with you. I wished I could get out and fry my brain....darn kids lol
How are the bugs? Still shoveling them out of my boat from last trip
Hey Jim,
Thanks for a great report... Like the way you have stats on catching rate and etc... Be a good indicator, but I'd always be a low achiever... Wish I had one 30" in the boat or on the bank this year... In fact a 27 would be nice for me.... Keep hoping for lightning to strike on my short run fishing trips, but no luck so far... Only good fish I've had on this year got tangled in Landon's line the other day and broke off before I got to see it... It wasn't coming up or in very well, pretty sure it was by far my best fish of the year... Oh well not going to be my year to be competitive in the contest, in fact I'm heading for the lowest score ever if I don't change things soon... At least I'm finding a couple channels this time of year, usually I have a hard time doing that... funny how Utah Lake its the best of times this time of year, and Cutler is pretty lean times... Must be because I don't know where to find them... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-31-2022, 12:23 PM)lifeshort Wrote: How are the bugs? Still shoveling them out of my boat from last trip

I don't shovel them until the first of November, It's just a waste of time before that Smile  Actually we didn't see big clouds of them after we left the lights around the harbor. I think they are still there, but 10+ MPH winds early in the day helps keep them at bay.

(08-31-2022, 02:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Jim,
Thanks for a great report... Like the way you have stats on catching rate and etc... Be a good indicator, but I'd always be a low achiever... Wish I had one 30" in the boat or on the bank this year... In fact a 27 would be nice for me.... Keep hoping for lightning to strike on my short run fishing trips, but no luck so far... Only good fish I've had on this year got tangled in Landon's line the other day and broke off before I got to see it... It wasn't coming up or in very well, pretty sure it was by far my best fish of the year... Oh well not going to be my year to be competitive in the contest, in fact I'm heading for the lowest score ever if I don't change things soon...  At least I'm finding a couple channels this time of year, usually I have a hard time doing that... funny how Utah Lake its the best of times this time of year, and Cutler is pretty lean times... Must be because I don't know where to find them... Later J

I doubt you would ever be a low achiever! Time on the water is usually the best indicator of who does well in the contest. That has been hard for you to get this year. Right now I am looking at my worst contest score in 5 or 6 years. I had a string of 4 or 5 consecutive years where my score and my PB cat had gone up every year. I know it has to end sometime. Fortunately I still get a thrill when someone on my boat gets good ones. No giving up yet though!

As for UL this year that WB die off early in the year resulted in a lot of really fat cats. I think it might have led to a length growth spurt. A lot of the cats now are average to skinny for their length and have smaller heads. It used to be that I could get excited about a possible 30 when I saw a big old head come up. The last couple Jon got looked like they should have been 28 or so by the head size and then measured longer.

It that guess is true, there will be a bunch more 30's during the fall, but the lack of groceries may have dire consequences this winter.

I'm thinking that from late October through the winter we southerners should all go carp fishing. Then every time we catch one, dice it up and feed the cats to help with their lean winter  Smile I think that might even be legal (LOL). Certainly we could do that with Northern Pike, but the cats wouldn't get much help since they are not very common.

(08-31-2022, 04:33 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(08-30-2022, 02:43 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Jon and I did it again, well almost! Launched from Provo at 6 A.M. and went south. Winds were 5-10 out of the SE for the first few hours. Water started out surprisingly low at 68 degrees and ended up surprisingly high at 78 by about 3 P.M. when we left to get Jon to a Football Game. 

Nice report Jim...as always you have story teller way that makes it seem like we are with you. I wished I could get out and fry my brain....darn kids lol

Thanks Justin! I hope you can get out more in the fall. Don't forget that those darn kids leave all to quickly.