Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay all to myself...mostly
Launched out of north marina about 0730. One other small boat with 2 older gentlemen launched about same time.
I got out to middle of lake, turned broadside into the light breeze, put my baited lines out and had my first Cat boated and in the live well by 0800.  
Decided I needed to keep a few to restock my freezer for fish tacos.  By 1049 a.m. I had a nice batch of 6,  so called it a day.

Got to the north cleaning station same time as the guys that launched same time as me. Station was clean and not clogged. 

Got my days catch cleaned and bagged  and departed about 1230.  

[Image: 054-29-Aug-2022.jpg]     [Image: 062.jpg]

Will head back out tomorrow,  hopefully.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
What does the sky look like do you see birds diving for minnows? Are Whipers active?
Your the only man working willard now.
How was the launch? The DWR website says both N ans S are closed.
Is it like last year with only one small slot to launch from? How deep was the channel?

I am a tin canner as well. 16'.
What were the other guys cleaning at the cleaning station, cats also?
(08-31-2022, 12:59 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: What does the sky look like do you see birds diving for minnows? Are Whipers active?
Your the only man working willard now.

doitall5000
  Have not seen anything that indicates a Wiper boil. Have seen quite a few dead shad floaters, and a few of my Cats have coughed up Shad when boated.  

Gone Forever 
I've not been to the south marina since July, but as low as the water is in the main body of the bay (no more  than 8.5 ft.) I would think that the south end is too low for anything other than maybe tubes. 
The north launch has that closed sign also, but it's launch at your own risk.  It's no more than 2 fow at the end of the ramp, about 4 to 5 fow out through the channel, and well past the buoys it gets down to 6 - 8 fow. 
If you keep your motor trimmed up and stay in the center of the north channel you should be ok.  
In the past week I've seen a few boats bigger than mine (fiberglass) that launched ok.  But with the forecast heatwave coming and the Labor Day Holiday, I wouldn't recommend trying to get on Willard any time Friday - Monday. 

fishgiver 
The 2 guys that were cleaning fish same time as me on Monday were doing Cats only.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(08-30-2022, 11:21 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Launched out of north marina about 0730. One other small boat with 2 older gentlemen launched about same time.
I got out to middle of lake, turned broadside into the light breeze, put my baited lines out and had my first Cat boated and in the live well by 0800.  
Decided I needed to keep a few to restock my freezer for fish tacos.  By 1049 a.m. I had a nice batch of 6,  so called it a day.

Got to the north cleaning station same time as the guys that launched same time as me. Station was clean and not clogged. 

Got my days catch cleaned and bagged  and departed about 1230.  

[Image: 054-29-Aug-2022.jpg]     [Image: 062.jpg]

Will head back out tomorrow,  hopefully.  

Nice catch Forest! It's kinda nice not being buzzed by other boaters.

rj