Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knolls area ain't no more
I decided to make a trip over to the Knolls and fish with my kayak last Monday. The water is very low and I had to paddle half way to Bird Island to find four feet of water. I parked my truck in a couple of inches of water and left it there instead of pulling out on dry ground. It felt like solid gravel so I assumed I was good to go. I fished for a couple of hours and only managed two fish, 27 and 28 inches. No other interest, not carp, no white bass. Finally realized I was fishing where they ain't so headed back to truck and a nice surprise. My truck kinda settled down in the "solid gravel" and when I attempted to pull out I went down instead of forward. I managed to mire down to both axles in the mud and realized I was not going anywhere. No other fools out that way so I figgered it was either Life-Flight or try to track down a relative to come and fetch me out. Finally found a grandson who could leave his work long enough to pull me out.

[Image: DSC01413.jpg]

The knolls area has been good to me (for cats) but the water is just too low to attract and hold them there. It was a good trip even though I got stuck. I usually manage at least one similar blunder every year. Next trip will be to Lincoln by kayak again but I'll be very careful about where I put my wheels. The time of year is right for biggun's but low water seems to be changing everything for me while Jim and R and V continue to ketch the big ones. Thirty incher will show up soon.

Pray for water.
BLK/Lynn
Hey Lynn,
Dang that's too bad, but hey both of those fish would have been bumpers for me... As far as getting stuck goes, I'm the one in our family that is always that guy that gets stuck...My Dad usually asks which tractor does he need to bring this time, or is it a job for the backhoe... He used to just shake his head at me, now it's more of he should know better by now... Oh well at least we know the limits of what our vehicles can do... Right? Glad you're still getting out and having fun... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Sorry about your busted trip.  I pretty much wrote off the Knolls for the rest of the year...float tubingwise.  Have tried to launch there before in such low conditions and had to slog a hundred yards through sticky mud before I could sit down in my tube and have enough water to float.  Too much work for too little reward.

I was down that way last week...business in Saratoga Springs...and took some pictures.  One of them was of a small herd of cattle wading well out into the lake...with the water only covering their hooves.  Don't know whether they were fishing...or chilling...or thinking about walking across the lake to escape.
[Image: KNOLLS-2.jpg] [Image: CATTLE-CHILLIN.jpg]

(08-31-2022, 03:47 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sorry about your busted trip.  I pretty much wrote off the Knolls for the rest of the year...float tubingwise.  Have tried to launch there before in such low conditions and had to slog a hundred yards through sticky mud before I could sit down in my tube and have enough water to float.  Too much work for too little reward.

I was down that way last week...business in Saratoga Springs...and took some pictures.  One of them was of a small herd of cattle wading well out into the lake...with the water only covering their hooves.  Don't know whether they were fishing...or chilling...or thinking about walking across the lake to escape.
[Image: KNOLLS-2.jpg] [Image: CATTLE-CHILLIN.jpg]

I think they wait until nobody is looking and then walk out and graze unmolested on bird Island.

Hey Lynn,

Glad you got outa there before your truck became structure for the next high water year! 

BTW, if you read closely on the day Jon got 3 of those 30's, I got none and got stuck on the boat ramp! Maybe we should get together and commiserate! I have no 30's so far but it is fun to see them anyway Wink
I wonder why some don't lay in the water to cool.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(08-31-2022, 05:15 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I wonder why some don't lay in the water to cool.

Probably afraid the catfish will "milk" them.
(08-31-2022, 11:46 AM)Boatloadakids Wrote: I decided to make a trip over to the Knolls and fish with my kayak last Monday. The water is very low and I had to paddle half way to Bird Island to find four feet of water. I parked my truck in a couple of inches of water and left it there instead of pulling out on dry ground. It felt like solid gravel so I assumed I was good to go. I fished for a couple of hours and only managed two fish, 27 and 28 inches. No other interest, not carp, no white bass. Finally realized I was fishing where they ain't so headed back to truck and a nice surprise. My truck kinda settled down in the "solid gravel" and when I attempted to pull out I went down instead of forward. I managed to mire down to both axles in the mud and realized I was not going anywhere. No other fools out that way so I figgered it was either Life-Flight or try to track down a relative to come and fetch me out. Finally found a grandson who could leave his work long enough to pull me out.

[Image: DSC01413.jpg]

The knolls area has been good to me (for cats) but the water is just too low to attract and hold them there. It was a good trip even though I got stuck. I usually manage at least one similar blunder every year. Next trip will be to Lincoln by kayak again but I'll be very careful about where I put my wheels. The time of year is right for biggun's but low water seems to be changing everything for me while Jim and R and V continue to ketch the big ones. Thirty incher will show up soon.

Pray for water.
BLK/Lynn

Sorry to hear about your getting stuck. That is always a sick feeling, especially when no one is around. This low water situation has got me gun shay. One has to watch the depth finder all the time in order to avoid the under water bumps that were once not a problem. I need to find new places to fish but I don't like to ones I have tried so far.

rj