Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to Rockport 8-30-22
Had a fun time at Rockport last week.  No better options this week so I hit Rockport again.  Wasn’t as fast as last week but good enough to keep me happy.

Launched just before 7 am.  Air temp was a cool 46…warming to a toasty 85 by noon departure.  But a full 10 degrees cooler than it was when I got back down the hill to Salt Lake.  Water temp had cooled down to 66…from over 70 last week.  It will probably warm back up in the next few heat wave days.  Still don’t need my waders.
 [Image: LAUNCH.jpg]

A couple of fishing boats launched about the same time I was heading out.  No power squadron today.
Also got to meet BFTer lovetofish as he was prepping his toon for a launch.  Said he was going to hit the west side, down below the highway.  Didn’t see him back at the ramp when I packed up my gear.

Figured since I found the fish last week that this week was going to be a big perch harvest.  Nay, not so.  Got into a couple of good areas early but then it got tough.  Hardly anything on “TV” this week.  But did find a couple of big concentrations of young perch on the bottom still.  The only problem was that the only bites I got in the area were from peck peck bait stealers.  Caught a few dinks that were aggressive enough to get the hook.
[Image: PERCHLETS.jpg]  [Image: DOD.jpg]

Since the fish were fewer and more scattered, I searched for them by dragging a couple of mini whirly fligs with worm at about .5 mph…moving in S turns from about 12 feet deep out to over 25 feet deep.  When I found a few fish I would stop and make short casts with a tandem rig of small plastic tubes…or vertical jig them.  I caught fish both ways.  I was able to keep enough fish to provide another good family fish fry.  And quite a few of them were right on the 11 inch mark…and healthy.  Some good fillets.
[Image: UNDER-FOOTER.jpg]  [Image: C-PERCH-11.jpg] [Image: PALE-PERCH.jpg]

The cooling waters had the trout fans out in force.  Saw several boats that were obviously dragging gear for troutkind.  But didn’t ever see any of them bring anything aboard.  Also saw a couple of other small boats that were vertical jigging…probably for perch.  They all moved around a lot and I never saw any of them catch anything.  Count my blessings.

[Image: OSPREY.jpg]

Great post as alway Pat, we might have to give it another try again there soon. Sure is amazing how much higher the water is there this year compared to last year at this time, while the rest of the state is in low water conditions again. The background of that one pic where you are holding the perch up, was so far from water last year, that you could not even see trees from the water at the angle you took that pic, it would have just been a dry hill side. Glad to see those bigger perch are still showing up, even on an off day. Is that an osprey in the one pic of the bird? Always cool see the wildlife while fishing.
Congrats Pat, sounds like great quality even if the numbers were down... So when you go without waders do you wear swim trunks or just fast drying pants? Hadn't heard of any speedo sightings or streakers in the area... Be nice to ditch the waders if you didn't have to drive home wet... I'm getting so lazy on the hassle of setting up the toon to fish that I'm just taking the boat all the time... I like fishing from the toon more when I'm at the fishing spot and all set up, but I hate wasting half of my fishing time loading up and setting up the fish finder, motor, battery and etc... But I typically get about two hours to fish at best per trip...

Last night I decided at 7:00 that I didn't have anything else that had to be done, so I hooked up the boat ran to the marina, was launched and headed to my spot by 7:30, fishing a few minutes later... Caught a 20 some inch cat and missed a bunch of bait stealers and headed back to the marina by 8:30, loaded by 8:45 and in the house before 9:00... Sure wish I had more time to enjoy it, but sometimes just a boat ride is all it takes to reset the clock... On my toon I wouldn't have gotten launched before I had to start heading home... But someday I hope to get some time to enjoy the finesse that the toon offers, might be October, but hopefully I get there this fall...

Been wondering how I could modify the boat so I could take the toon along to where I wanted to fish, then deploy the toon lite (minus battery motor and finder) and fish with finesse and then motor in the boat back home when done... Try to get the best of both worlds... Probably be too much hassle, but sounds good in my head while I'm dreaming about going fishing... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-31-2022, 01:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great post as alway Pat, we might have to give it another try agin soon. Sure is amazing how much higher the water is there this year compared to last year at this time, while the rest of the state is in low water conditions again. The background of that one pic where you are holding the perch up, was so far from water last year, that you could not even see trees from the water at the angle you took that pic, it would have just been a dry hill side. Glad to see those bigger perch are still showing up, even on an off day. Is that an osprey in the one pic of the bird? Alway cool see the wildlife while fishing.
Yeah, it is definitely easier for launching and fishing this year.  I am attaching a couple of pics from early August last year...showing the relative difference in water levels.  Also...another pic of that osprey.  He is likely the same one that has been there every time I go...roosting on the top of that dead tree branch...overlooking his "grocery store".
[Image: WATER-LEVELS.jpg] [Image: MUD-LAUNCH.jpg] [Image: OSPREY.jpg]

By the way, I noticed that the small perch are moving in around the shoreline...apparently all around the lake...like they do at Echo.  So the bigger perch will be cruising around to find good ambush areas and are likely to be almost anywhere.  My next trip will be more toward the dam...where I found a lot of perch last year at this time.

(08-31-2022, 01:51 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Congrats Pat, sounds like great quality even if the numbers were down... So when you go without waders do you wear swim trunks or just fast drying pants?  Hadn't heard of any speedo sightings or streakers in the area... I usually wear a pair of thin nylon "coach's pants".  They protect my tender flesh from sunburn and most water hazards (except piranhas or gators).  And they dry quickly.

Been wondering how I could modify the boat so I could take the toon along to where I wanted to fish, then deploy the toon lite (minus battery motor and finder) and fish with finesse and then motor in the boat back home when done... Try to get the best of both worlds... Probably be too much hassle, but sounds good in my head while I'm dreaming about going fishing... Later J
If you have enough space in your boat, go ahead and bring the toon along...either rigged crosswise across the beam or hanging out the front or back.  Down in Arizona one of my fishing buddies had a bass boat and we would lash our two tubes down across the front and blast up one of the long lakes to a spot where we could run the bow of the boat up on the sand and then get out and fish from our tubes.  And I know of other guys who do that a lot on Lake Powell or other big ponds.  But if you don't have the room you can always tow it behind on a secure tow rope.  Just don't go too fast or it will go airborne.
Good ideas Pat, I was trying to figure out how to make my Bimini top strong enough to hold it, but I'm afraid the poles aren't strong enough... I'll have to see how it tows, that would be the easiest, if it will let you get a little speed up... My toon is big enough it would fill the front or back of the boat... If I'm alone that's probably fine, but rough when I take anyone with me... If I tow it, I'll bet I'll have a wet seat to deal with, so may need to try it during the warm seasons... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-31-2022, 08:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Good ideas Pat, I was trying to figure out how to make my Bimini top strong enough to hold it, but I'm afraid the poles aren't strong enough... I'll have to see how it tows, that would be the easiest, if it will let you get a little speed up... My toon is big enough it would fill the front or back of the boat... If I'm alone that's probably fine, but rough when I take anyone with me... If I tow it, I'll bet I'll have a wet seat to deal with, so may need to try it during the warm seasons... Thanks J

There are positives and negatives for any method you choose.  But if you elect to tow it I might suggest to add some onboard weight to help stabilize it under tow.  Also, don't try to go at warp speed or it will flip if it catches air under the nose.  Just to be safe, keep your rods and tackle in the boat until you are ready to get in the toon.  That way a flip will not be a total disaster.

Should be ideal for short to medium runs.  As far as a wet seat...you should really take care of that before you go out fishing...and limit your liquid intake before leaving.  Otherwise, you can wrap it with plastic while under tow and remove the cover when ready to fish.
Pleasure to meet you yesterday. I didn't do really well myself. I picked up 3 perch and a couple of bass. I didn't fish the west side I stayed on the east side too and went south like you did. I did best when I was by the campground seems like I would always get a nibble in that area. They can sure take a worm off a hook so fast you can't set the hook fast enough. I would get most of my hits while dragging the bottom using plastics and a worm. 

I left about 30 minutes before you did. I tried around the docks but no hits there. There must have been a bazillion minnows around the docks. I'm thinking they were all perch but don't know for sure.

I think I'm going to try again next week but going to let it calm down a couple of days after the last 3 day holiday with all the power boats stirring things up.     

Good luck on your next trip up there. Maybe I'll run into you again.
(08-31-2022, 10:55 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Pleasure to meet you yesterday. I didn't do really well myself. I picked up 3 perch and a couple of bass. I didn't fish the west side I stayed on the east side too and went south like you did. I did best when I was by the campground seems like I would always get a nibble in that area. They can sure take a worm off a hook so fast you can't set the hook fast enough. I would get most of my hits while dragging the bottom using plastics and a worm. 

I left about 30 minutes before you did. I tried around the docks but no hits there. There must have been a bazillion minnows around the docks. I'm thinking they were all perch but don't know for sure.

I think I'm going to try again next week but going to let it calm down a couple of days after the last 3 day holiday with all the power boats stirring things up.     

Good luck on your next trip up there. Maybe I'll run into you again.
Good to finally meet you too.  Sorry you didn't get more perchy love. 

The small fish around the docks were mostly young perch.   But I also saw a few yearling smallmouth swimming among them to pick off the perch tykes.  Also a few older dink perch among the younguns.  Yes, there were a lot of them.  And for the next few weeks they will still be around the shoreline...attracting larger perch and smallmouths.  But when the water temps start to drop they head out to deep water and the bigguns follow.

I won't be up there next week.  I'll be hitting Willard so I can pick up an order at Cabelas in Farmington on the way back.  But I will likely get on Rockport at least another time or two.  Hope you have better luck on your next trip.
A couple or us boaters hit RP ourselves yesterday.  Beelined for the same spot on the W side, but the usual suspects weren't school-up like
the past two weeks.  Might explain a substantial drop in aggression and pickier tastes.  Could also have used a tad more wind.  Two boats and a tuber, (Freakyfisherman) were getting one here/one there, but nothing like a just a week ago.  Surprisingly, not a bass to be found, eventho small bass baits, along with 4" grubs, caught the bigger perch.  Most shorelines are flush with 2-3" minnows, which should make for some fatty
perch to be iced this winter.

Buddy & I hit Jordy this morning, fishing from 7-10:30.  Hadn't been there in nearly two months.  Kept an eye on the ramp and fortunately there was no line of early Labor Day tuna boat launchers.  Water about the same as RP, at 68.  Had fun with aggressive smallies that were off rocky points, over 8-14' of water.  Hardly any bites in sandy/muddy bays.  Most fish in the 10-11" range, but my buddy landed an 18+ on the last cast, over only 7'.  4" grubs the ticket today.
(09-02-2022, 06:02 PM)perchinski Wrote: A couple or us boaters hit RP ourselves yesterday.  Beelined for the same spot on the W side, but the usual suspects weren't school-up like
the past two weeks.  Might explain a substantial drop in aggression and pickier tastes.  Could also have used a tad more wind.  Two boats and a tuber, (Freakyfisherman) were getting one here/one there, but nothing like a just a week ago.  Surprisingly, not a bass to be found, eventho small bass baits, along with 4" grubs, caught the bigger perch.  Most shorelines are flush with 2-3" minnows, which should make for some fatty
perch to be iced this winter.

Buddy & I hit Jordy this morning, fishing from 7-10:30.  Hadn't been there in nearly two months.  Kept an eye on the ramp and fortunately there was no line of early Labor Day tuna boat launchers.  Water about the same as RP, at 68.  Had fun with aggressive smallies that were off rocky points, over 8-14' of water.  Hardly any bites in sandy/muddy bays.  Most fish in the 10-11" range, but my buddy landed an 18+ on the last cast, over only 7'.  4" grubs the ticket today.

Sorry you didn't do better...but good to know the slowdown on my end was not all my fault.  I think the drop in temperatures along with the shorter daylight hours have the fish starting to move into a fall pattern...whatever that is.  I didn't get any smallies on Tuesday either.   Next time I go it will be more up toward the dam,.  That has been better later in previous years.