Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to Rockport 8-30-22
(08-31-2022, 01:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great post as alway Pat, we might have to give it another try agin soon. Sure is amazing how much higher the water is there this year compared to last year at this time, while the rest of the state is in low water conditions again. The background of that one pic where you are holding the perch up, was so far from water last year, that you could not even see trees from the water at the angle you took that pic, it would have just been a dry hill side. Glad to see those bigger perch are still showing up, even on an off day. Is that an osprey in the one pic of the bird? Alway cool see the wildlife while fishing.
Yeah, it is definitely easier for launching and fishing this year.  I am attaching a couple of pics from early August last year...showing the relative difference in water levels.  Also...another pic of that osprey.  He is likely the same one that has been there every time I go...roosting on the top of that dead tree branch...overlooking his "grocery store".
[Image: WATER-LEVELS.jpg] [Image: MUD-LAUNCH.jpg] [Image: OSPREY.jpg]

By the way, I noticed that the small perch are moving in around the shoreline...apparently all around the lake...like they do at Echo.  So the bigger perch will be cruising around to find good ambush areas and are likely to be almost anywhere.  My next trip will be more toward the dam...where I found a lot of perch last year at this time.

(08-31-2022, 01:51 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Congrats Pat, sounds like great quality even if the numbers were down... So when you go without waders do you wear swim trunks or just fast drying pants?  Hadn't heard of any speedo sightings or streakers in the area... I usually wear a pair of thin nylon "coach's pants".  They protect my tender flesh from sunburn and most water hazards (except piranhas or gators).  And they dry quickly.

Been wondering how I could modify the boat so I could take the toon along to where I wanted to fish, then deploy the toon lite (minus battery motor and finder) and fish with finesse and then motor in the boat back home when done... Try to get the best of both worlds... Probably be too much hassle, but sounds good in my head while I'm dreaming about going fishing... Later J
If you have enough space in your boat, go ahead and bring the toon along...either rigged crosswise across the beam or hanging out the front or back.  Down in Arizona one of my fishing buddies had a bass boat and we would lash our two tubes down across the front and blast up one of the long lakes to a spot where we could run the bow of the boat up on the sand and then get out and fish from our tubes.  And I know of other guys who do that a lot on Lake Powell or other big ponds.  But if you don't have the room you can always tow it behind on a secure tow rope.  Just don't go too fast or it will go airborne.

Messages In This Thread
Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by TubeDude - 08-31-2022, 11:56 AM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by wiperhunter2 - 08-31-2022, 01:26 PM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by TubeDude - 08-31-2022, 03:37 PM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by SkunkedAgain - 08-31-2022, 01:51 PM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by SkunkedAgain - 08-31-2022, 08:23 PM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by TubeDude - 08-31-2022, 10:46 PM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by lovetofish - 08-31-2022, 10:55 PM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by TubeDude - 09-01-2022, 11:35 AM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by perchinski - 09-02-2022, 06:02 PM
RE: Return to Rockport 8-30-22 - by TubeDude - 09-02-2022, 08:22 PM