Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"A change is as good as a rest."
Randy and I decided to take a break from Strawberry and headed to Currant Creek Reservoir.  The hope was to catch some tiger trout.  Unfortunately, it was false hope.  

It was nice to return to a body of water that neither one of us had visited in ~15 years.  Really pretty up there.  I just wish that one didn't have to take the long drive around the reservoir to get to the boat launch.  

Fishing was good, in the shade, early for pan-size rainbow trout.  But when the sun hit the water the fish disappeared.  We then tried several places and eventually found where they were just by dumb luck.  I pulled up in a cove to about 20' of water with the intent of doing some drift-trolling with the breeze.  I noticed several marks on the bottom, so I hit spot lock.  We never moved again until he headed home.  We ended up catching four cutthroat and lots of pan-size rainbows.  Disappointing not to catch some tiger trout.
How is current creek water levels this fall?

I have to guess the temps were a bit better there than the valley. That alone would make it worthwhile.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-02-2022, 11:59 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: How is current creek water levels this fall?

I have to guess the temps were a bit better there than the valley. That alone would make it worthwhile.

Surprisingly, Currant Creek is 95.12% (Central Utah Water (cuwcd.com) full!  It was a little cooler (started out in the low 40s), but in the afternoon, if the wind wasn't blowing it was plenty warm.
It's been 13 years since I fished there.  

Has the road gotten any better?

I might drag the tube up there before winter.

Thanks!
Thanks for the report Kent, that is one of the lakes we rarely hear anything about, glad you and Randy got out and had some success, even if you didn't catch the desired trout you were looking for.  I know the road isn't the best but one time I came back on one of the roads that's near Chicken creek there at the Berry.
(09-03-2022, 02:49 AM)gofish435 Wrote: It's been 13 years since I fished there.  

Thanks!

The paved road was in excellent shape and the gravel road has been plowed and was as good as gravel roads ever are, but of course it was dusty.

(09-03-2022, 01:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Kent, that is one of the lakes we rarely hear anything about, glad you and Randy got out and had some success, even if you didn't catch the desired trout you were looking for.  I know the road isn't the best but one time I came back on one of the roads that's near Chicken creek there at the Berry.

I have pulled my boat over that road before and was tempted to do so on this trip; however, I decided I didn't want to get any more dust inside of my boat than was necessary.  It definitely is a shorter route than the road down Currant Creek.
(09-03-2022, 01:57 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(09-03-2022, 02:49 AM)gofish435 Wrote: It's been 13 years since I fished there.  

Thanks!

The paved road was in excellent shape and the gravel road has been plowed and was as good as gravel roads ever are, but of course it was dusty.

(09-03-2022, 01:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Kent, that is one of the lakes we rarely hear anything about, glad you and Randy got out and had some success, even if you didn't catch the desired trout you were looking for.  I know the road isn't the best but one time I came back on one of the roads that's near Chicken creek there at the Berry.

I have pulled my boat over that road before and was tempted to do so on this trip; however, I decided I didn't want to get any more dust inside of my boat than was necessary.  It definitely is a shorter route than the road down Currant Creek.

Yea, it is very dusty and not very wide in some areas, especially as you go by that creek.